Phlebotomy or EMT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

releehw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I need some clinical experience and was going to take either an EMT course or phlebotomy at my local CC. Does either look better on an application? Are there more jobs in phlebotomy or would volunteering as an EMT be better? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If your goal is to get clinical experience you'll find many ADCOMs on here say EMT is perceived as glorified taxi driving and that they want more than EMT experience for clinical exposure . So while both experiences are valuable, if you are doing them for the sole purpose of getting clinical experience for medical school phlebotomy might be the more optimal path for your interests.

Phlebotomy will challenge you every day. If you can make friends sticking people in the arm, you are doing it right.

@rachiie01

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
EMT, at the appropriate service, might I add, a urban 911 service.
Sticking people gets old really quick once you become proficient at it.

My opinion is not biased, as I do both. EMT all the way, any day!!

EMT, at the appropriate service, might I add, a urban 911 service.
Sticking people gets old really quick once you become proficient at it.

My opinion is not biased, as I do both. EMT all the way, any day!!

Umm, you must have easy patients because every phlebotomy clinic or hospital I've worked at... even phelebotomist veterans (20+ years experience) have tough times with a handful of patients every day.

Or you have the skills of Ben Carson.

Umm, you must have easy patients because every phlebotomy clinic or hospital I've worked at... even phelebotomist veterans (20+ years experience) have tough times with a handful of patients every day.

Or you have the skills of Ben Carson.
I occasionally do have hard sticks... I am far from a pro :) Sometimes I get on a roll and don't miss a stick for a few shifts, but then there are the days that everyone has small veins that roll, are too deep, or are scarred up.
I probably have 10 sticks on a slow day, so the volume is low, but I am also running around like a chicken with my head cut off doing a million other things.

I occasionally do have hard sticks... I am far from a pro :) Sometimes I get on a roll and don't miss a stick for a few shifts, but then there are the days that everyone has small veins that roll, are too deep, or are scarred up.
I probably have 10 sticks on a slow day, so the volume is low, but I am also running around like a chicken with my head cut off doing a million other things.

See thats why I liked doing phlebotomy for a while. You can always improve your skill and "its in the moment" so to speak. This is part of the reason why I'm interested in surgery.

Thank you all for your input! I actually am more interested in phlebotomy but thought EMT sounds so "life saving" that it would stand out more. But if the crowd is on the fence then I guess I'll swing toward what interests me more :) even though dealing with phobics is going to be tricky I'm sure!

Thank you all for your input! I actually am more interested in phlebotomy but thought EMT sounds so "life saving" that it would stand out more. But if the crowd is on the fence then I guess I'll swing toward what interests me more :) even though dealing with phobics is going to be tricky I'm sure!

You will get the hang of it, but I'm not joking when I say its a challenge every day.