phlebotomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djrunslinux

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to the American red cross and they offered me a job to be a phlebotomist. This sounds really exciting.They will give me 5 weeks paid training.But then I talked to my mom who is a lab technician and she told me not everyone can do this type of job.She said some try it and just cant do it.She said some people just had a hard time finding veins, then she mentioned rolling veins and such.
Here my deal.I really want to do this but what if i was unable to do it? I then would be without a job and it would put me and my family in a very difficult financial situation.
Why are some people unable to do this type of job? What do you think? I really want to do this, i just don't want to end up jobless, thats my real fear.Could you please give me your input? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

They'll teach you everything you need to know, plus you'll get lots of practice. Sure some veins are hard to find and some roll, but you'll get the hang of it. You'll be fine.

I applied to the American red cross and they offered me a job to be a phlebotomist. This sounds really exciting.They will give me 5 weeks paid training.But then I talked to my mom who is a lab technician and she told me not everyone can do this type of job.She said some try it and just cant do it.She said some people just had a hard time finding veins, then she mentioned rolling veins and such.
Here my deal.I really want to do this but what if i was unable to do it? I then would be without a job and it would put me and my family in a very difficult financial situation.
Why are some people unable to do this type of job? What do you think? I really want to do this, i just don't want to end up jobless, thats my real fear.Could you please give me your input? Thank you.

Your mom is correct, some people just never get the hang of it. Lucky for you, you won't normally have to deal with these type of people since most people that donate blood to the "ARC" have pretty decent veins. The majority of your hard sticks are chemo pateints, geriatrics, and the obese, things you see in a hospital.

Sure there is a chance you may not be able to do it but what are you so worried about, there is a chance you won't be able to do alot of jobs, you'll never know until you try.

This is a great way to gain patient contact, and even prep you for sticking needles in patients. It sure beats cleaning bed pans for that "patient contact"

Members don't see this ad :)
Phlebotomy is not nearly as hard as your mom is making it out to be. Sure, as with anything in life, there are going to be some people who just don't get the hang of it. But with 5 weeks of training, you will learn everything you need to know in order to excel at your job. Some veins do suck, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to stick just about anything with good results. Good luck!

You are going to encounter people who will be difficult to draw even for the most experienced phlebotomist. You will also encounter people who will be easy to draw (most people fall into this category). The important thing is that with experience, you will become better and better at handling the folks who are "difficult". Just learn to make an assessment of everyone, follow the guidelines that you have been taught in your course and try.

As a vascular surgeon, I am often called to obtain vascular access on patients who are "difficult". Often, just a fresh pair of eyes on the patient and they are no longer "difficult". You may be those fresh eyes so do your own assessment and have the confidence that if you complete your training, you will be able to do the job.

In short, you Mom has good intentions in warning you that this job may be difficult at times but you may find that you have a "gift" for handling the "difficult" patients. If you don't try, you will never know. Get your training and get the job done with confidence.