• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

gaba101

Doctor
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Pittsburg
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
The brand Fleet vs. the store generic don't come in the same concentrations (though the same active ingredients). I believe it was like fleet 7.2g monobasic NaPhos, 2.7g dibasic NaPhos; generic 2.7g monobasic NaPhos, 0.9g dibasic NaPhos). Does this matter when it comes to colonoscopy exams? I hope it did because I shelled out an extra $5 to get the Fleet ones for my dad's colonoscopy exam when I could've purchased 2 for less than the price of 1 Fleet! ::eek: If it does matter and say patients would like to purchase the store generic, how should they use it differently?

sdn1977

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
Sorry - no difference. Use according to the pkg directions & the GI's instructions - which are usually to take starting at a certain time & for a certain number of doses until the bowel movements are liquid & clear.

gaba101

Doctor
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Pittsburg
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Sorry - no difference. Use according to the pkg directions & the GI's instructions - which are usually to take starting at a certain time & for a certain number of doses until the bowel movements are liquid & clear.

$5 out the door :( It's okay; it's for daddy's colon :laugh:

About the Ads

Requiem

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
Status (Visible)
They're both osmotic laxatives->

Massive influx of electrolytes->Water moves into the lumen via osmotic gradient -> Increased intestinal pressure and distention -> Increased intestinal motility -> Plop.

Hibiclens

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
While we are on the subject...does it matter what type of prep patients use. You have phosphosoda or course, then your colyte type stuff, then this new Osmoprep tablets, or a bottle of miralax (soon to be OTC btw)....for 99 percent of patients out there...does it even matter.????

sdn1977

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
Yeah - it actually matters.

Each gastroenterologist has his/her own preference, but the pt's clinical condition also has an impact on what the prep will be.

A screening colonoscopy might have a different prep than one which is done to actually follow up an illness or provide more diagnostic criteria.

I never change what the physician's prep is - the colonscopy is expensive & if the prep in not complete - the procedure will be incomplete & somewhat a waste of time & money.

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Yeah - it actually matters.

Each gastroenterologist has his/her own preference, but the pt's clinical condition also has an impact on what the prep will be.

A screening colonoscopy might have a different prep than one which is done to actually follow up an illness or provide more diagnostic criteria.

I never change what the physician's prep is - the colonscopy is expensive & if the prep in not complete - the procedure will be incomplete & somewhat a waste of time & money.

and poo:D

I think my signature actually fits this thread.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.