Phosphosoda for Colonoscopy Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaba101

Doctor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The brand Fleet vs. the store generic don't come in the same concentrations (though the same active ingredients). I believe it was like fleet 7.2g monobasic NaPhos, 2.7g dibasic NaPhos; generic 2.7g monobasic NaPhos, 0.9g dibasic NaPhos). Does this matter when it comes to colonoscopy exams? I hope it did because I shelled out an extra $5 to get the Fleet ones for my dad's colonoscopy exam when I could've purchased 2 for less than the price of 1 Fleet! ::eek: If it does matter and say patients would like to purchase the store generic, how should they use it differently?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry - no difference. Use according to the pkg directions & the GI's instructions - which are usually to take starting at a certain time & for a certain number of doses until the bowel movements are liquid & clear.

Sorry - no difference. Use according to the pkg directions & the GI's instructions - which are usually to take starting at a certain time & for a certain number of doses until the bowel movements are liquid & clear.

$5 out the door :( It's okay; it's for daddy's colon :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
They're both osmotic laxatives->

Massive influx of electrolytes->Water moves into the lumen via osmotic gradient -> Increased intestinal pressure and distention -> Increased intestinal motility -> Plop.

While we are on the subject...does it matter what type of prep patients use. You have phosphosoda or course, then your colyte type stuff, then this new Osmoprep tablets, or a bottle of miralax (soon to be OTC btw)....for 99 percent of patients out there...does it even matter.????

Yeah - it actually matters.

Each gastroenterologist has his/her own preference, but the pt's clinical condition also has an impact on what the prep will be.

A screening colonoscopy might have a different prep than one which is done to actually follow up an illness or provide more diagnostic criteria.

I never change what the physician's prep is - the colonscopy is expensive & if the prep in not complete - the procedure will be incomplete & somewhat a waste of time & money.

Yeah - it actually matters.

Each gastroenterologist has his/her own preference, but the pt's clinical condition also has an impact on what the prep will be.

A screening colonoscopy might have a different prep than one which is done to actually follow up an illness or provide more diagnostic criteria.

I never change what the physician's prep is - the colonscopy is expensive & if the prep in not complete - the procedure will be incomplete & somewhat a waste of time & money.

and poo:D

I think my signature actually fits this thread.