Phys/Rad Bio Boards: # Questions???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The_Fly

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those PGY-5s and up,

-- How many questions are there on the 2 hour sections of rad bio and physics each? Seems like the tests used to be 300-400 questions when it was 4 hours before it was shortened. Nowhere on the ABR or ASTRO website does it state the # of questions.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it separated into 2-hour blocks or is it just a random mix of physics and radbio together? Also, anyone know how this sucker is graded? I assume since the pass rate has historically been high, that it is not graded on a "curve" but that there must be a cutoff for percent correct - but anyone know for sure?

Also - if anyone out there studying uses iFlipr I would love to swap flashcards

Is it separated into 2-hour blocks or is it just a random mix of physics and radbio together? Also, anyone know how this sucker is graded? I assume since the pass rate has historically been high, that it is not graded on a "curve" but that there must be a cutoff for percent correct - but anyone know for sure?

Also - if anyone out there studying uses iFlipr I would love to swap flashcards

This is what I know: http://www.theabr.org/image/inside/ro_comp_exam.gif

For pass rates, see attachment...

Attachments

• Pass Rates-Writtens.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 96
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it separated into 2-hour blocks or is it just a random mix of physics and radbio together?

2 separate sections. Radbio and Physics. Think each was around 100 questions, but not sure about that. IMO time pressure was not much of a factor (physics a little, radbio not at all).
You receive your quartile score (ie top 25, 25-50, 50-75, bottom 25) in 9 different sections: 5 physics and 4 radbio I think....but not sure how they determine pass vs fail.

Note that last year there were a couple of problems with the testing interface at Pearson. For example the calculator was not available for radbio, despite a couple of questions that clearly needed calculation (was not easy stuff that could be done in your head and ABR acknowledged problem after the fact).

My advice is to not get flustered and keep going if there are 1-2 questions that don't make sense or can't be answered (just like any other standardized multiple choice test)

Both sections have 104 questions each. You have 117 minutes to complete each exam. The exams are given separately but sequentially with an optional break. I did Physics then Radbio.

For calculations you get to use Microsoft's calculator (if it works!) so get used to it before the exam.

As RadRadRad stated, you get a quartile ranking on your results (1 = lowest, 4 = highest).

The sections on Physics are: Basic Physics, Dose Measurement, Advanced Dosimetry, Brachytherapy, Special Topics

The sections on Bio are: Cellular & Subcellular Biology, Molecular Biology, In vivo/In vitro Biology, Clinical Biology

Thank you Gfunk-- much appreciated!! So odd that the number of questions and time isn't listed anywhere -- just wanted to have a sense of whether we'd have more than a minute for each question.

Both sections have 104 questions each. You have 117 minutes to complete each exam. The exams are given separately but sequentially with an optional break. I did Physics then Radbio.

For calculations you get to use Microsoft's calculator (if it works!) so get used to it before the exam.

As RadRadRad stated, you get a quartile ranking on your results (1 = lowest, 4 = highest).

The sections on Physics are: Basic Physics, Dose Measurement, Advanced Dosimetry, Brachytherapy, Special Topics

The sections on Bio are: Cellular & Subcellular Biology, Molecular Biology, In vivo/In vitro Biology, Clinical Biology