Physic Boards - Hows the studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whisker Barrel Cortex

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just though I'd commiserate with any of you guys taking physics boards this year. How is studying going? Mine is terrible. I feel like I've barely done anything yet and am woefully unprepared. What are you guys doing to study. Reading Huda, recalls?

Members don't see this ad.

Whisker Barrel Cortex said:
Just though I'd commiserate with any of you guys taking physics boards this year. How is studying going? Mine is terrible. I feel like I've barely done anything yet and am woefully unprepared. What are you guys doing to study. Reading Huda, recalls?

This is off-topic, but, you have to take physics boards if you are in rads?? Sorry, I am an M1 and don't know much about rads yet. What kind of physics do you have to learn? Where do you get the time to learn physics while you are studying medicine?

thanks.

Every rad resident must take the physics board exam to become board certified. This test includes the fundamental physics of all of the imaging modalities used by radiologists. This includes, X-rays, CT, MRI, utrasound, nuclear medicine, radiation safety, and radiobiology. Thus we have background knowledge of what is taking place in all of the images we interpret and can have the techs adjust parameters to get a better image. If you've ever seen radiation burns from a cardiac cath patient, you'll understand why this is essential knowledge (which many cardiologists seem to lack).

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess everyone is too busy studying to reply to my post. I geuss I'll be the only one to fail this thing since I can't seem to study when I should.

Yeah we were all too busy studying. My god was that exam difficult and I thought I was moderately prepaired. Huda certainly did not cut it for this one. I think I got enough to pass, but....certainly didn't do very well on it.

[what year in residency to you take the physics exam? first????

I'm not so sure I passed. It may be close. Damn tough test. My only hope is that the curve helps me out.

keith77 said:
[what year in residency to you take the physics exam? first????

It depends. Now most people take it the September of 2nd year of radiology (which is actually PGY-3 due to internship). Some wait until 3rd year.

The second step of rads boards is a written test, taken either in Sept 3rd year or 4th year radiology.

The final step is an oral exam given in June of your 4th year, just before graduation.

When did you guys start studying for the Physics exam?

How many hours per week or per day did you put in?

Did anyone go to a review course and would you recommend it?

I'm discouraged to hear it was hard. Physics seems like one of those things you just want to get out of the way and doesn't really have much bearing on how good a Radiologist you become. So I'd really hate to have to invest much time into studying for it when it comes around for me next year.

Thanks in advance for any replies.