1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Physic "collisions and energy"

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by dorjiako, Aug 14, 2011.

1. dorjiako

2+ Year Member

Question said: A 10kg block starts from rest at a height of 20m and slides down a frictionless, semicircular track. The block collides with a stationary object of 50kg at the bottom of the track. If the objects stick together upon collision, what is the maximum height that the block-object system could reach? I got the above solution.
    However, follow up question said: In the above question, determine the height reached by each object if the collisin were inelastic and the falling mass rebounded back with a speed of 1m/s?
    I was able to figure out that the height for the rebounded mass (10kg) is 0.051m using v^2 = 2as. s=1/(2x9.8). However, I couldn't the right answer for the height of remaining 50kg object?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FutureDoctor503

FutureDoctor503 A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You can find the height of 50kg object by using the following equation:

(m)(g)(h final) = (0.5)(m)(v final)^2 assuming KE is conserved

#2 FutureDoctor503, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  4. dorjiako

2+ Year Member

I am probably making mistake on the actual value of the final velocity. So, what is the velocity to be used in this problem?
    Thanks.

5. dorjiako

2+ Year Member

Thanks for your help.