• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
Dec 9, 2010
Status
Question said: A 10kg block starts from rest at a height of 20m and slides down a frictionless, semicircular track. The block collides with a stationary object of 50kg at the bottom of the track. If the objects stick together upon collision, what is the maximum height that the block-object system could reach? I got the above solution.
However, follow up question said: In the above question, determine the height reached by each object if the collisin were inelastic and the falling mass rebounded back with a speed of 1m/s?
I was able to figure out that the height for the rebounded mass (10kg) is 0.051m using v^2 = 2as. s=1/(2x9.8). However, I couldn't the right answer for the height of remaining 50kg object?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

FutureDoctor503

A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
5+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Question said: A 10kg block starts from rest at a height of 20m and slides down a frictionless, semicircular track. The block collides with a stationary object of 50kg at the bottom of the track. If the objects stick together upon collision, what is the maximum height that the block-object system could reach? I got the above solution.
However, follow up question said: In the above question, determine the height reached by each object if the collisin were inelastic and the falling mass rebounded back with a speed of 1m/s?
I was able to figure out that the height for the rebounded mass (10kg) is 0.051m using v^2 = 2as. s=1/(2x9.8). However, I couldn't the right answer for the height of remaining 50kg object?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
You can find the height of 50kg object by using the following equation:

(m)(g)(h final) = (0.5)(m)(v final)^2 assuming KE is conserved

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2010
Status
I am probably making mistake on the actual value of the final velocity. So, what is the velocity to be used in this problem?
Thanks.

About the Ads