Physical activity level of a PT on the job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FieldDay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know what the typical physical activity level is for PTs on the job, compared to a sedentary computer/desk based job

I'm hoping that one of the side benefits of being a PT is that it helps to keep me in good physical shape over the course of my career. Is this an accurate expectation or does the job become similar to other sedentary type office jobs?

I'm aware of the type of work that PTs perform, so I do know that they are up out of the chair often. I just don't know if it is enough activity to actually help you stay fit

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't say the job alone will keep you fit. I would definitely recommend some exercise outside of the job. In fact, it's probably necessary to save preserve your body. The degree of exertion depends on your specialty. I'm completing an internship right now where I pretty much act as a PT aide. We work primarily with spinal cord injury patients. It involves a lot of transfers and what not of people who often cannot move themselves. All of the therapists I work with are on the younger side and they are all very fit. They all exercise a lot outside of work. If they didn't their backs would be wrecked. At the end of the day I'm usually physically wiped out. It can be very strenuous work. On the other hand I've also seen basic orthopedic, outpatient PTs that don't look like they've ever seen the inside of a gym.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We work primarily with spinal cord injury patients. It involves a lot of transfers and what not of people who often cannot move themselves. All of the therapists I work with are on the younger side and they are all very fit. They all exercise a lot outside of work. If they didn't their backs would be wrecked .

There's a lot of heavy lifting in neurological rehab. The patients need max assist for transfers. It sounds interesting but I don't know any older PT's who still work in neurological rehab. It can be strenuous, and like you said, can cause significant strain on your back.

I work in an out patient clinic that sees pulmonary/cardiac patients and orthopedic patients and I don't do a lot of lifting/assisting due to that. However, I am definitely on my feet all. day. long. (I even wear compression stockings because of it ha!) But, outside of work, even though I'm on my feet all day, it's still important to go to the gym!

There's a lot of heavy lifting in neurological rehab. The patients need max assist for transfers. It sounds interesting but I don't know any older PT's who still work in neurological rehab. It can be strenuous, and like you said, can cause significant strain on your back.

For sure. Our hospital focuses exclusively on TBI and SCI patients. I've only seen a couple of PTs who look over the age of 40 and even those guys seem to be in pretty good shape. I'm a pretty agile guy but I can't imagine doing some of the twisting and contorting I do in 20 or 30 years that I now do on a daily basis.

yes,I don't know any older PT's who still work in neurological rehab. It can be strenuous, and like you said, can cause significant strain on your back.thanks
wxlaO7

Right, I'm not really concerned about having to do lifting or strenuous activity.

The reason I'm asking my question is... Sedentary jobs are bad for your health, therefore I'd like a career isn't sedentary. After ruling out crab fisherman and oil rig laborer, PT sounds like it might be a good fit :)

Last edited:
I think I asked this question in a previous thread and am very interested in this topic as well. The majority of PT's that I have seen do not look over the age of 40 unless they own their own climic as scrawnyguy has mentioned. Also, I have heard in the outpatient side that overuse injuries to your hands are a liability factor. With all of the massages and manual therapy modalities that are required to be performed on a daily basis, I hear that your hands are at risk for overuse injuries (arthritis as well). My outpatient mentor had shared this sentiment with me.

I wouldn't mind hearing about home health or SNF. I only did 20 hours of observation there so I haevnt' seen as much. How are the physical demands in those specialties?

Overall, it seems that PT does have its physical requirements in some shape or form no matter the setting and its vital to keep yourself healthy outside of work so that you can enjoy a career of longevity.