Physical exam documentation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dirt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am an MS1 but my school has us doing H&Ps already as part of our curriculum. I was wondering if anyone has a good concise resource for how to document physical exam findings ex. PERRLA, RRR, lungs CTA, stuff like that. I am familiar with some but not most and cannot find a good resource for documenting findings. Any help is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

HEENT: atraumatic, normocephalic, PERRLA, EOMI, no murmurs/masses/bruits, thyroid at midline
CVP: RRR, Normal S1/S2, lungs CTA bil/or no rhonci/wheeze/rals
Abd: soft, nt/nd, BSx4
GU: deferred
Ext: no clubbing/cyanosis/edema, negative Homan's
Neuro: CN 2-12 intact

A word of advice...don't EVER document something unless you actually test it. The above is a pretty concise HP. No one will give you a hard time about it.

EDIT: Above is the PE portion only, which is what you asked for.

Last edited:
HEENT: atraumatic, normocephalic, PERRLA, EOMI, no murmurs/masses/bruits, thyroid at midline
CVP: RRR, Normal S1/S2, lungs CTA bil/or no rhonci/wheeze/rals
Abd: soft, nt/nd, BSx4
GU: deferred
Ext: no clubbing/cyanosis/edema, negative Homan's
Neuro: CN 2-12 intact

A word of advice...don't EVER document something unless you actually test it. The above is a pretty concise HP. No one will give you a hard time about it.

I disagree. Most first and second year "learn the physical exam" type courses want you to write a freaking book for your H&Ps. Our physical exams would be like half a page - you definitely would get in trouble for using abbreviations, etc, like that.

Now third and fourth year, I think that exam would be fine for everything but IM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree. Most first and second year "learn the physical exam" type courses want you to write a freaking book for your H&Ps. Our physical exams would be like half a page - you definitely would get in trouble for using abbreviations, etc, like that.

Now third and fourth year, I think that exam would be fine for everything but IM.

Above is just the PE part. But I agree, I forgot about the not being allowed to abbreviate early on.

Ive never had a problem in using the above as the PE portion of an IM note.

Short and sweet, and all you really will likely need for a PE written right in the chart:

General: AAO x 3, NAD, pleasant
Vitals: T 100.2 noted, o/w WNL
HEENT: NCAT, EOMI, PERRLA, MMM, no lymphadenopathy, no thyromegaly, TM intact
CV: RRR, S1 S2 audible, no S3, S4, no g/r/m, PMI not displaced, no JVD, no carotid bruits, CR < 2 sec
Lungs: CTA bilaterally, no r/r/w, no egophany, tactile fremitus WNL
Abd: Soft, NT, ND, tympanic x 4, BS x 4, no organomegaly
Back: No step-offs, midline spine, no CVA tenderness
Ext: no cyanosis, no edema, + 2 peripheral pulses b/l
Neuro: CN 2-12 intact with L sensorineural hearing loss, 5/5 strength x 4 b/l w/ good tone, sensation to LT intact symmetrically and b/l,
RAM intact, finger-to-nose intact, proprioception intact, negative Romberg's, steady gait

The whole nine yards, as expected by one attending:

General: well-nourished African-American man, alert and oriented to questioning; pleasant demeanor; no acute distress.

HEENT: patient was normocephalic and atraumatic; pupils were equal, round and reactive to light and accommodation; extra-ocular movements intact; no visual field loss; oral mucosa moist without any visible lesions; no submandibular, occipital, supraclavicular or cervical lymphadenopathy; neck was supple, thyroid not obviously enlarged, trachea was midline; external ears appeared normal.

CV: No JVD; +2 DP pulses bilaterally, +2 radial pulses bilaterally; regular rate and normal rhythm, normal S1 and S2, no murmurs, rubs or gallops; no carotid bruits.

Respiratory: symmetric expansion on inspection; tactile fremitus was present equally bilaterally on palpation; lungs were resonant on percussion; vesicular breath sounds bilaterally, no wheezes, rales or rhonchi noted.

Abdomen: no visible lesions or abnormalities on inspection; normoactive bowel sounds in all four quadrants; some epigastric tenderness on deep palpation; non-distended; no hepatosplenomegaly noted, but it was difficult to palpate; tympanic in all four quadrants.

Extremities: no cyanosis, clubbing or edema; sensation present in all four extremities with no focal deficits.

Musculoskeletal: good muscle tone in upper and lower extremities bilaterally

Neurological: patient was alert and oriented to questioning; cranial nerves 2-12 intact grossly; motor strength was 5/5 in bilateral upper and lower extremities; downgoing toes bilaterally; no dysequilibrium noted in gait; DTRs: 1+ biceps/triceps/brachioradialis/Achilles/patellar tendon bilaterally. Recruitment utilized for lower extremity DTRs. No dysdiadochokinesia noted. Speech was fluent and appropriate. Affect was congruent.

Rectal: weakly positive guaiac reported by the ED physician.

Correction - a rate cannot be "regular" - it can be normal, fast, slow, or absent. A rhythm cannot be "normal" - it can be regular, irregular, irregularly irregular, etc.

Courtesy of my old-as-dirt ball-busting cardiology attending ;)

Correction - a rate cannot be "regular" - it can be normal, fast, slow, or absent. A rhythm cannot be "normal" - it can be regular, irregular, irregularly irregular, etc.

Courtesy of my old-as-dirt ball-busting cardiology attending ;)
Send him this:
# Customary, usual, or normal: the train's regular schedule.
# Orderly, even, or symmetrical: regular teeth.
# In conformity with a fixed procedure, principle, or discipline.
# Well-ordered; methodical: regular habits.
# Occurring at fixed intervals; periodic: regular payments.

A regular rate means it's normal and occurring at fixed intervals.

One of my attendings 3rd year had a pet peeve about auscultating 4 quadrants of the abdomen. His point was that bowel sounds, when present, usually echo throughout the abdomen, making it idiotic to auscultate in more than one place unless you're trying to localize something abnormal or confirm a quiet abdomen.

This was the actual conversation:
Me: bowel sounds were normal in all 4 quadrants--
Attending: Stop! Why are you auscultating in 4 quadrants?
Me: Uhhhh, that's what I was taught to do...
Attending: That's why nurses do it. A doctor should have a reason.
Me: Then I don't know why.
Attending: Well, if there are abnormal sounds, will they be confined to just that quadrant, or are you going to hear it in every quadrant?
Me: It'll be more or less abnormal everywhere.
Attending: And if three quadrants are normal, and one quadrant is hypoactive, does that mean anything?
Me: not really, no.
Attending: Then is it really necessary to auscultate all four quadrants to be sure an abdominal exam is normal?
Me: Um, I guess not.
Attending: Then don't waste your time with it.

So painful. And yet I've not forgotten.

Gen: A+Ox3
HEENT: PERRLA
Airway: MP1, 3FB TMD, Good neck extension
CV: RRR, No murmur
Resp: CTAB
Abd: soft, NTTP
Extrem: No edema, +2/4 pulses
Neuro: Non-focal

*For billing purposes we are only required to do an Airway, CV, and Pulm exam but most of us do all of the above.

Gen: A+Ox3
HEENT: PERRLA
Airway: MP1, 3FB TMD, Good neck extension
CV: RRR, No murmur
Resp: CTAB
Abd: soft, NTTP
Extrem: No edema, +2/4 pulses
Neuro: Non-focal

*For billing purposes we are only required to do an Airway, CV, and Pulm exam but most of us do all of the above.

What's 3FB?
What's TMD? Temperomandibular joint dysfxn?
NTTP is No Tenderness to Palpation?

thanks for the translations.