physical therapist assistant to DPT??

Started by Bfraiz33
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bfraiz33

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently in school for physical therapy, but part of me is wondering if I should go with my associates and get my PTA degree.Ill be making decent money and i can continue on to my doctorate for my DPT. My justification is that I will be around physical therapist who have been around the block and I can get some great tutoring/mentoring from them. In the end receive great recommendations while still making good money. So I guess my question is, is that the beat way to go or do you guys think the traditional schooling route is?
Thanks
-Brandon
 
There are only two (I think) PTA to DPT programs in the nation. Being a PTA first is not beneficial. Unless you do one of the PTA-DPT programs, you will end up having to get a bachelor's before going to DPT school anyway. Why add an extra two years for the PTA degree? If you want to gain experience in the field, try to find a tech or aide job, which does not require a degree. Sure you won't make as much money, but you will be around PTs and you can find a mentor that way.
 
There have been a number of threads on this, if you use the search function you will find lots of helpful information.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really like the tech/aide idea. I haven't really given that avenue much thought, that's something I will definitely look into though. Right now I personal train for a very good company and as of late have been doing alot of post surgery rehabilitation with my clients. I enjoy it alot, but anyways I really do appreciate the piece of advice.
 
I took a year off from school after graduating with my bachelor degree and have been working as a tech in an outpatient PT clinic. Instead of applying last cycle i waited until this cycle to get some extra experience. In my opinion it was probably the best decision I could have made. Ive had the chance to work with some really great PTs and I feel like I will be ahead of a lot of other students once I start PT school. I really learned a lot from them and how a PT clinic runs in general. It also helped me realize that this is something that I want to be doing for my career.

I would prefer this way versus going straight to PT school and paying the tuition just to realize you hate working with patients or being in a clinic. This is just my opinion so take it how you want but hopefully this will help you a little bit.
 
PM me if you want to know my point of view. I am a PTA and have gone through all the obstacles to become a DPT applicant.
 
Why add two extra years of school/debt, rather take the two years off and make your application as strong as possible to apply to DPT school (take any classes needed, volunteer or get a job as an aide or tech, or just work and save money). If in the end you want your DPT then go for that, if you want to be a PTA then do that but don't do it as a bridge between. In the end the PTA degree will not help you tremendously if you want to be a DPT, basically in the end after you've graduated from PT school you won't make any more money by having your PTA degree first, but you will have 2 years more of debt.


Also I know its not all about money for some people but it is something you have to think about as you will be responsible for paying it back in the end.
 
Kind of a personal question, but right now I'm a personal trainer and I make decent money and as much as I would like to take up and aide/tech job is the pay enough to live off of? Or is it something like you said maybe I should just volunteer??
 
As for living off of a Tech/aide wage, I think it depends where you live. Wages very, but I think they are close minimum wage or $1-2 over minimum wage. I had a friend who was working as an aide while she was strengthening her transcript, she managed to get by because she had 2 part time aide jobs for two different clinics. She worked for a hospital in the morning and worked in a out patient clinic from the afternoon to the evening.

Volunteering isn't bad, you get to experience the settings and add observation hours, but the only thing is that there is no money =(. Here is a thought, I know some places are flexible with their aides--why not continue your daily grind, and see if there are clinics around your area that have a flexible schedule for aides, that way you get experience and earn some money--while not having to sacrifice the lifestyle you have.
 
Tech aide jobs will be $8-15/hr depending on where you live, what sort clinic you end up at and how lucky you are.

I wouldn't bank on more than $12 to start. That's the median pay across the nation for physical therapy techs/aides.
 
PM me if you want to know my point of view. I am a PTA and have gone through all the obstacles to become a DPT applicant.

Did you follow through? I'm 6 pre reqs away from applying to either Findlay or Nova hybrid or 7 classes away from utmb bridge. Would love to hear your story!