Physical Therapist, Years of Schooling

Started by SAJ2012
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SAJ2012

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering how many years of college it would take to get a DPT other than a 0-6 program. Also, can anyone point me to a website where they list schools that offer the 0-6 program? I was thinking of becoming an athletic trainer but I guess you can't do that and become a DPT?


Thanks.
 
If you're not doing the 3+3 program (I'm assuming that's what you mean by 0-6....the program where you apply as you enter college and do your bachelor's in 3 years and then go straight into the school's PT program and complete that in 3 years), then you're looking at a minimum of 7 years:

4 years of undergraduate
3 years of PT school
(some PT schools may be slightly less than 3 years, and I suppose you could always try to graduate undergrad in less time if you plan your courses right, but college is fun so I wouldn't shortchange yourself).

And you can absolutely be an athletic trainer and a DPT. There are hundereds of them out there. Athletic training is an undergraduate program at some schools, so you can get your bachelor's degree in that, and then go to PT school. In our class of 70-some first year PT students, there were at least 8 athletic trainers.