Physical Therapy Aide/Assistant Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blpham21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from a 4-year university and would like health care experience to add to my resume before i apply to a PT program. I have briefly looked into Physical Therapy Aide, Physical Therapy Assistant, and Emergency Medical Technicians.

I have researched more of what it requires to become an EMT but am a bit fuzzy on the other two. Is there any information you could provide regarding the positions and how both may affect how PT programs look at you? Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

PT Assistant would require completing an associate's degree and is not recommended by the APTA as a route to DPT. There are tech. programs to become an aide/tech but they're not necessary (check state laws to be sure) and the aides I know regret spending the money because everything can be learned on-the-job. To get an aide/tech. position just apply. Having a degree will help...especially if it's science related. If I were you I'd get an aide/tech. position somewhere, log a bunch of hours in a variety of settings, get some great LORs and apply.

Last edited: