Physical Therapy as a fallback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biofilm preventer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a predental in my college and have a pretty good gpa of 3.56 with a science gpa of 3.65. I have currently done all of the prereqs for dental expect for orgs 1 and 2. I plan on taking the dat this coming summer. however, I do have concern about the dat exam and am scared that if I don't do well what my second options will be and I have been told about looking into a career of physical therapy.
since I have a decent gpa I feel it will be foolish to not do anything with my degree in bio in case my dat exam doesn't work out.
so I would like to know what are all of the requirements for a career in physical therapy that are different from what I have already accomplished as a pre dental
I am talking about classes, extra curricular, volunteering in community. what are all the requirements for most physical therapy schools. also is there an exam similar to the dat?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a predental in my college and have a pretty good gpa of 3.56 with a science gpa of 3.65. I have currently done all of the prereqs for dental expect for orgs 1 and 2. I plan on taking the dat this coming summer. however, I do have concern about the dat exam and am scared that if I don't do well what my second options will be and I have been told about looking into a career of physical therapy.
since I have a decent gpa I feel it will be foolish to not do anything with my degree in bio in case my dat exam doesn't work out.
so I would like to know what are all of the requirements for a career in physical therapy that are different from what I have already accomplished as a pre dental
I am talking about classes, extra curricular, volunteering in community. what are all the requirements for most physical therapy schools. also is there an exam similar to the dat?
Most PT schools require a standard set of science classes (bio, chem, physics, human A&P, etc.). There's no PT specific exam you have to take to apply to schools that's equivalent to the DAT, but many programs require that you take the GRE. Just about every school will require that you have a certain number of PT volunteering or observation hours, though the amount needed varies a lot by school.

PT is a satisfying career field (and more social and engaging than dentistry IMO), just realize that you obviously won't be making as much money

Most PT schools require a standard set of science classes (bio, chem, physics, human A&P, etc.). There's no PT specific exam you have to take to apply to schools that's equivalent to the DAT, but many programs require that you take the GRE. Just about every school will require that you have a certain number of PT volunteering or observation hours, though the amount needed varies a lot by school.

PT is a satisfying career field (and more social and engaging than dentistry IMO), just realize that you obviously won't be making as much money

So basically all I would need differently is to shadow a pt and take the GRE? otherwise im on the same track as PT

Members don't see this ad :)
So basically all I would need differently is to shadow a pt and take the GRE? otherwise im on the same track as PT
More or less that is correct, but I would make sure to shadow/volunteer PTs in various settings. Also, make sure you have taken a stats course and look into PT schools you might be interest in as pre-reqs vary from school to school. Some require multipl psychology courses and English courses in addition to the typical science course and anatomy & physiology I and II in addition to biology I and II.

From a logistical standpoint looking at pre-requisite coursework, you would be on the same track for a physical therapy program. Most health professions require the same core classes whether it be dental, PA, PT, nursing, etc. The main difference from dental vs PT pre-requisite coursework is the requirement of Anatomy & Physiology w/ lab. Not all dental programs will require A&P, but all PT programs will if you haven't taken it yet. You would have to take the GRE as the standard of admissions test. Most programs (but not all) will require observation hours (usually a minimum of 150+) in a variety of settings (usually a minimum of three different settings). Inpatient opportunities in hospitals are usually the most difficult to get into due to the lengthy wait times for volunteers. Lastly, you will need a strong letter of recommendation from a physical therapist at the core of your application (for some programs, two). The relationship for that letter usually takes a year to foster for most people, but I know of other people who get letters in a shorter amount of time. I would say it would probably take at least a year of investment (GRE, Observation Hours, A&P, Letters of Rec) from the moment you decide to switch before applying.

I would definitely try shadowing a PT first to see if you even like the field. The career is not as lucrative as dental professionals, and many physical therapists remain in heavy debt years after graduating. Most people who enter the field of physical therapy have a passion for it, and you will be 100% asked in an interview "Why PT?" and generic answers are usually dismissed. I can't understand your transition between dental to physical therapy, because the reasoning behind having a decent GPA and feeling it will be foolish to not do anything with your degree in bio in case your DAT exam doesn't work out isn't substantial. I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users