Physical Therapy Assistant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BBaskinNC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated High School and i'm interested in the Physical Therapy field of study. I plan on going to community college and doing a two year PTA program and earn my associate's degree. I considered going DPT but when I realized it was going to be 7 years worth of rigorous schooling & massive student loans. I decided to go the PTA route. But i'm kinda skeptical about it. Is it a good job/career? Is it worth it becoming a PTA long term? Could someone become pretty successful off this Career? If I ever wanted to leave being a PTA to go on and do something else what are my options? I've read that it's really hard to go from being a PTA to a DPT especially since there aren't really any bridge programs and you would have loans from PTA and DPT school.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to the forums on indeed.com, there is a discussion there by/for PTAs.

I'd advise you to shadow both PTAs and PTs before you commit to either profession. Don't trust your future to advice from a bunch of strangers on the Internet. FYI, if you're a resident of NC (I guess so, from your screen name), East Carolina Univ's tuition for the DPT is extremely low.