Physical Therapy Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrePTguy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was recently accepted into a Physical Therapy Assistant program. If I were to complete it and try to apply into a physical Therapy Program afterwards, would it also take three years to complete or would it be fewer?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have heard you would still do the three years unless you do some hybrid program like the above posted said. Mainly because every school does their curriculum in a slightly different order - there is no set schedule for all the 1st years in every program so it would be hard to fit a PTA in to certain PT programs as they could miss very big things. I would contact school that you are interested in and see what they say.

Also if its DPT you want apply for that because doing PTA you're gonna do 2 years of school then what in a few years apply for PT then its another 3 years, why not take a year or two now to get everything to apply right in to a DPT program if in the end you want to be a PT?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, my boyfriend is trying to do the same thing. He just got into a PTA program because he can't wait so long without a decent paycheck (nontraditional student). After being a PTA you will need to get a bachelor's degree in order to apply to a DPT program (even if it's a bridge program from pta) then you can go to a bridge program which is suited for pta's only (I believe there are two stated on apta that have a bridge program) if not you will not be able to skip classes in another program because most programs take student's as a cohort so they take every class together and the structure of courses may be different than from pta program

Thank you. I will look into the bridge program.