Physical Therapy Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dolce7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into becoming a physical therapist, and I know that it is required to have experience either shadowing or working at different facilities (usually 3 I believe). I would preferably like to have some paid experience so I can do that rather than waiting tables while I work on prereqs (which will take me about 3 years).

I live in Colorado and I read that it is not required to have a license to practice as an assistant. A quick browse through current job openings led me to find that all required an associates in PTA. Although I love school and am very happy to continue my education, I am really not willing to go to a PTA school for 2 full years after all the schooling I have already and am about to do.

So what I'm really wondering is whether or not it is possible to work as a PTA without going to school and having a license, or if I will simply have to do volunteer work and work as a waitress for the next 3 years.

Members don't see this ad.

In order to be a PTA, you must graduate from an accredited PTA school, and pass the national exam.

Otherwise, you can work as a PT aide/tech, which requires only a HS diploma.

Oh! Thanks. I actually was very confused since my aunt (who is a physical therapist) suggested I become a physical therapy aide right away. When I typed that in the search engine, the only thing that popped up was PTA. This makes so much more sense, thanks for answering a very silly question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some states (Colorado might be one) might not require you to go through the program to take the test and become a PTA...you can check the APTA's website to find information on each individual state's requirements. If you don't need the official program, then you could conceivably do it. Just keep in mind that if you move to a state that doesn't have the same policy, you wouldn't be able to practice as a PTA.

Your best bet though is to do the aide/tech route. It's still great experience and will get you a little bit of money instead of just observing.

from the APTA's website:

"It is extremely important that you attend an accredited program. (The only recognized accrediting agency for PTA education is CAPTE.) You will be able to sit for the licensure exam only if you have graduated from a CAPTE-accredited program; without a license you will be unable to work in all states except Colorado and Hawaii."

All PTA's have to graduate from an accredited PTA program to work as a PTA. If they choose to work in a state which doesn't require licensure, then they don't take the licensure exam, but they still would have had to go through an accredited PTA program. Or else they would be PT techs...

Last edited:
Oh! Thanks. I actually was very confused since my aunt (who is a physical therapist) suggested I become a physical therapy aide right away. When I typed that in the search engine, the only thing that popped up was PTA. This makes so much more sense, thanks for answering a very silly question.

No problem, and it wasn't a silly question. I've been a PTA for a couple of years, and am always happy to answer any questions regarding this career field. I will continue to work as a PTA during PT school, which will be awesome. I agree with your aunt about working as an aide. You will get hands-on experience and become comfortable with patient care/interaction, and also network with other rehab professionals. Good luck to you!