Physical Therapy Education for Inmates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aegis

Primary Care and Aerospace
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a primary care physician that works in a super-maximum security prison. The facility is unique, and the only one of it's kind in the country. The inmates are confined to their cells, alone for 23 hours/day. Each inmate has a TV in their room, and we recently acquired equipment to program our own health services channel. I've figured out a way to extract videos from youtube and I'm currently trying to compile a days worth of programming for a variety of health related topics.

So I wanted to ask the PT community if you have any recommendations for PT education, either rehab or injury prevention that is readily available online that you would recommend me programming. Due to the extraordinary security concerns of some of these guys (think the worst of the worst) they cannot go to the free world for PT and I need to do a lot in-house. Anything helps.

If you would even like to be more involved with this project please PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

First question that came to mind was whether or not any of your inmates have access to PT services at all? Does the facility employ a PT? A point of education I thought of initially would be some material about what PTs actually do and the broad range of conditions we treat. But since I assume many of these individuals will be in prison for most or all of their lives, exposing them to what kind of PT services are available within the prison system (even at lower security levels if none are available at yours) would be more beneficial that education regarding the field in general.

Also facebook groups for PTs are much more active than this forum. You will get a lot more good responses there.

I also think that some type of education regarding sedentary lifestyle vs active lifestyle would be beneficial..for a person in a cell 23 of 24 hours a day, they are at high risk of cardiovascular disease, obesity, etc. etc. Perhaps a PT (I would be willing) could compile a brochure of exercises that one could complete within their cell without equipment? To maintain range of motion, strength, overall functional mobility, as well as the numerous beneficial mental/emotional effects of exercise!

Members don't see this ad :)
Physical therapists do the difficult task of helping injured and patients get better that help them lessen their pain and improve their flexibility and physical structure. But it's rare for an inmate to cause trouble, because physical therapy provides out of their cells and helps them feel better. But it should be necessary that therapy education have to be given to inmates sometimes it may be helpful.

Hi, I'm a primary care physician that works in a super-maximum security prison. The facility is unique, and the only one of it's kind in the country. The inmates are confined to their cells, alone for 23 hours/day. Each inmate has a TV in their room, and we recently acquired equipment to program our own health services channel. I've figured out a way to extract videos from youtube and I'm currently trying to compile a days worth of programming for a variety of health related topics.

So I wanted to ask the PT community if you have any recommendations for PT education, either rehab or injury prevention that is readily available online that you would recommend me programming. Due to the extraordinary security concerns of some of these guys (think the worst of the worst) they cannot go to the free world for PT and I need to do a lot in-house. Anything helps.

If you would even like to be more involved with this project please PM me.

Athlean x on youtube may have some interesting videos. I believe his material is applicable to what your audience may be interested in watching and learning from since it is less dry than most PT youtube videos.