physical therapy in military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diegito

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have few questions for those who are in the military doing physical therapy.
I got accepted into PT school this year, but the tuition is too expensive, around 120,000 dollars so I am thinking about joining the military after my graduation. These are several questions I have.
1. Is it difficult to join the military as physical therapist? Is there difference between army, navy, and air force? When should I apply?
2. Will they cover the tuition? How much would you get paid during your service? Or do they help to pay your loans?
3. Do you have choice in where you would like to be stationed in?
4. What would you daily schedules look like?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd just start off saying that the military was one of the greatest experiences I had. That being said there are many factors that go into your decision and how your career could pan out. I can't answer ALL of your questions but I think I can help you out a little. FIRST, I would say talk to a few recruiters. Though you wouldn't be enlisting, they might be able to help you answer some questions or point you in the direction of someone who could. Many colleges/universities have a recruiter somewhere on campus too. I would also try to contact a military PT if you have a base nearby to see if they might be willing to answer some more questions for you...this isn't always possible, but the worst they could do is say no.

So I'll try to help with a couple of your questions to the best of my knowledge, if anyone sees that I am mistaken about something please, by all means, correct me.

-I can't imagine it would be difficult to join as a PT but that depends what your definition of difficult is. The military obviously has PTs but some career fields are constantly in flux. For example, when I joined my job (medic) was a highly recruited career field because they needed them. By the time I was done there was much less of a demand so the job was harder to get. Many career fields in the military are dependent on what they want/need at the time. If you did get in you would need to go through Officer Training School before they assigned you to a station.

-The only difference between service branches would be military specific (different basic training, bases, assignment lengths, deployments, etc...) and some of those differences are minor. Your job duties should be almost identical to that of a civilian PT, though you might see/treat more combat related injuries/conditions depending on where you're stationed. If you're stationed stateside you will probably practice like most civilian PTs would. I'm not 100% sure if all branches have PTs but I know USAF does and I believe the Army does. I also believe Navy does but I'm not sure.

-I'm biased because of where I served, but if I did it all over again I'd choose the USAF again, though I know that the Navy is also a good choice for the medical career field. I just feel that the Air Force is more accommodating to a normal life style. Not to disrespect any of the other branches (they're all vital) but of all the bases I have been on, Air Force bases were usually the nicest (overall). Most have really nice hospitals and clinics as well. Again, I'm biased...do your research and choose the branch that fits you the best.

-As far as tuition goes....I'm not sure they would cover it AFTER you have already graduated. What I DO know is that WHILE you're in, they cover classes for free if you're active duty. You can also use the GI bill at some point for further education. I know that if you are in already they have some (competitive programs) in which you can be sent to PT/OT/Nursing/PA/etc school while active duty and they would pay for it....but again, I believe that's only if you're in already. Also I'm not sure if they would or would not help with loan payments but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they had some sort of program that would help...or even some sort of bonus when you sign up. Ask the recruiter about that one.

-You sort of have a choice in where you're stationed...and sort of don't. Depends if that base has your career, and if they need a PT at that time or not. Not sure how it works for officers (which you would be), but as an enlisted member in the AF you are given a preference list that will be CONSIDERED but is not guaranteed. Other branches may be different. For example, when I was about to move stations, there was a list of bases that needed medics and also listed how many positions were to be filled. I was able to list my top 5 preferences in order and the rest was up to the military. Some jobs get more of a choice than others. I've known people who wanted state-side assignments and were sent overseas...and those who wanted to be overseas (England, Germany, Japan, etc...) but were "stuck" stateside. I was 18 and they sent me to England for my first assignment. Be ready to be flexible.

-Again, your daily schedule would reflect where you are and the circumstances (deployment, etc...). However, I am 99% certain that as a PT, your normal schedule would be about 99% similar to a normal, non-military DPT. Military clinics operate just like civilian clinics....there are normal week-day hours (ours were like 7-430 ish) and usually you have weekends off. Again, this is clinical stuff, outside of departments like the ER or MSU who work in shifts... obviously. Biggest different in the military is that your pay is based on your rank, and things may be more strict. Most of the time it's daily grind but if your hospital/clinic is having an inspection or some sort of military exercise they can require you to stay extra hours if needed. This didn't happen a ton...but it does happen and that's just the nature of the military.

...Sorry for the rant. Hopefully this helped out a little. Feel free to ask some more questions, I know there are several other vets on here who may have had similar (or very different) experiences. I think the medical career field in the military is pretty easy-going and was a great experience. SOOOO many crazy/awesome opportunities that aren't always available in the civilian world.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, I have few questions for those who are in the military doing physical therapy.
I got accepted into PT school this year, but the tuition is too expensive, around 120,000 dollars so I am thinking about joining the military after my graduation. These are several questions I have.
1. Is it difficult to join the military as physical therapist? Is there difference between army, navy, and air force? When should I apply?
2. Will they cover the tuition? How much would you get paid during your service? Or do they help to pay your loans?

Thank you!

All of my experience is in the Army so I can't really go into too much detail about the other services. I wouldn't necessarily advise talking to a regular recruiter. As a former Army recruiter I can tell you that in general they are not well versed in recruiting for medical professions. There are specialized medical recruiters that can give you more specifics about loan repayment and what not. That is offered for certain medical professions but I am honestly not sure if PT is one of those fields. Loan repayment, bonuses, etc. are all based off supply and demand. If they need a lot of PTs at a particular time they are more likely to offer those perks.

From the PTs in the Army that I have spoken to I've been told that the Army-Baylor PT program is the major feeder for Army PTs. I'm sure they take people from other schools but you would have to talk to a recruiter to get specifics. I'm actually applying to Army Baylor for the class that starts in 2016 myself.

The military is definitely a unique culture and each branch has a culture of its own. The Army itself is so large that you can even see differences between types of units. I've served in PsyOP, recruiting, military police, and a communications unit. Each unit had a totally different feel. As a PT you will most likely be serving in a troop clinic or hospital which means you would be under a medical command. Medical units are a whole different world. They are generally more relaxed than other parts of the Army. That's great for some people, but not for me. Some PTs are also attached to "line units" such as the infantry, cavalry, etc. Even as a medical officer those units will fell a little less relaxed.

I'm slated to start volunteering a day a week at my closest Army post's PT clinic pretty soon. They operate 0600-1600 (6 AM-4 PM), Mon-Fri. That doesn't include time dedicated to physical fitness and other military specific activities. Training can also bleed over into the weekends and depending on your position you can be forced to work holidays.

As far as duty stations go you don't have total control over where you go. They try to take personal preferences into account but the "needs of the Army" come first. I'm sure a lot of people want to be stationed in Hawaii but someone has to be in Fort Leonard Wood, MO (even as a native Missourian I never want to stationed down there).

Pay is based off rank. As a PT you would be a commissioned officer (O-1) and the pay is hardly paltry. At the onset you might be making a little less than your civilian counterparts but you catch up quickly. If you already have PT school you most likely will come in at an advanced rank which means more pay. Using a pay calculator I figured that with my prior service time I will be making around 100K by the time I start practicing. Some medical professions also get additional board certification pays which tack on a little more to your check as well.

I think I at least tried to answer all of your questions. Before I go I have a few final pieces of advice.
1) Talk to a medical recruiter. They can answer specific questions or they know someone who can.
2) Volunteer at a military PT clinic. This will help give you a feel of the ebb and flow of a military clinic. A lot of clinics/hospitals are clamping down on their volunteer programs so this may be difficult. Even as a vet I had to fight like crazy to get my position. At the very least talk to a military PT. I can probably put you in touch with one if you like.
3) Think about if you really want to join the military. Overall I had a good experience but it wasn't always easy. Like I said, it's a different culture and not everyone can cut it. Are you ready to move every few years? I'm not sure if you have a family or plan on starting one but I would take that into consideration. Will your spouse be willing to basically start over career wise where ever you go? If you have kids are you willing to change schools on a regular basis? Are you ready for the potential of overseas deployments? While PTs aren't on the front lines or kicking down doors they do end up deploying. Even when you're not directly in harms way it can suck big time being away from loved ones for close to a year or so. I've deployed 3 times and it sucked each time. I just started dating my now-wife a few months before my last deployment. It was brutal. A lot of relationships don't make it.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from joining but I want you to know that it's not all peaches and cream. Honestly a lot of the time it sucks. I've seen a lot of people join up for educational benefit and what not hate life when things got rough. That being said I am going back in. There are a lot of things about it that I miss. First and foremost there is a sense of comradery that you won't find in the civilian world. I miss my fellow Soldiers like crazy. For me the financial benefits make the suck worth it as well. With my rank and time in service the pay will be pretty good and I'll be able to retire after about 10 more years in service. I'll also graduate PT school without any loan debt, which is especially awesome for someone in their 30s who is trying to start a family. The Army also offers a lot of advanced educational opportunities. PT (and the military for that matter) can be tough on the body so I want to segue into teaching after I leave the Army. Obtaining a (fully funded) PhD while still in the Army to go along with my DPT will go a long way in making that a reality. At this point in my life it is the best choice for me and my family.

I think I have ranted long enough. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question as well... I am very interested in veteran care/military PT. I am starting PT school this fall and I'm already planning clinicals haha. But I was wondering if it would help show my seriousness in the military if I was to complete 3 out of my 4 clinicals at a military affiliation? I plan on attending Wash U and when I visited the school and spoke with the director she said they have several military affiliations (and would be willing to attempt another but that is a difficult task). I was thinking I could do out pt. ortho, acute care in a VA hospital and I'm not sure on the third... I want to be a well-rounded PT and experience all sorts of clinical settings but I also want to illustrate the fact that I am doing this for the right reasons, not for the money or hopes of having my loans paid off.

Have a chat with your local army or navy healthcare recruiter. They'll give you some things to think about as well as a timeline of when to contact them with respect to your year in school.

Thank you!

I will try to answer some of your questions, might be a bit late to the post.

I've been a military PT for 19 years, a few more to go before retiring.

There are actually 4 branches of service where PTs serve and each is very different when it comes to being a military officer and duties outside of patient care. Army, Navy, Air Force, and Public Heath Service.

At present the Army only accepts PTs through their Army Baylor pipeline. The other services will be offered a few seats to Army Baylor, very competitive. Most PTs graduate from civilian programs. I am a Mustang officer, prior enlisted, went to PT school and commissioned Air Force.

I do not know of any service offering tuition payback, as stated elsewhere the needs of the service dictate those types of funds. However as a military PT additional educational degrees are available in a competitive nature, no guarantee to receiving one. Unlike a civilian practice your dues to the APTA are not paid by the military.

Your commissioning rank as a DPT is an 0-3, minimum rank for a doctor. Your pay is directly tied to your rank and years of service. Initially you will most likely be underpaid compared to your civilian peers, but over the long haul you will earn more. The military just had an overhaul with the retirement system, not as lucrative but it is what it is. It will be a combination of a pension and a 401K style investment portfolio YOU must invest into to really have a nice nest egg, hopefully. I know I make it sound not so great, compared to mine which dates back to the oldest and most lucrative retirement pension it's not. But again it's what's current, so research it.

As an junior officer you have a dream sheet of sorts where you list your choice of duty assignments. There are NO guarantees of what assignment you get, and should you decline the assignment as an officer you are given 7 days to separate or retire if eligible. Remember, the needs of the service come first.

There will be frequent moves across this great globe of ours which means uprooting family, or leave them behind and face long seperations. You most likely will deploy to a field hospital at some point, maybe more than once. All 4 medical branches deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan.

PTs will have limited non clinical assignments, they did hire you to see patients. Normally you would be assigned within your specific branch of service, the Public Health Service is a bit different. These officers can be found at a military MTF (military treatment facility) of any branch of service. They are currently serving at Army MTFs, Coast Guard Station, and within the Indian Health Service, Bureau of Prisons, and a host of federal agencies doing important work other than clinical.

I believe you will have a fuller professional and personal life wearing the uniform if your nation. But I may be biased as I've worn the uniform 36 + years thus far. For more consideration seek a medical officer recruiter for more commissioning information. I wish you well!