Physical Therapy in the US Navy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tac92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently an undergraduate student entering my third year of college and would like to receive more information on how to become a physical therapist for the US Navy. I have always had a passion for serving my country as well as learning about physical therapy, and would be honored if I could pursue a career that is the best of both worlds. Over the past few months I have been trying to find out more about military PT's, how to become one, what they do vs a civilian PT, and some of the educational opportunities that come with being a Navy PT. After the long hours of research I still find myself confused as to how this process of becoming one plays out. I have tried to talk to a recruiter, but he said it would be best to contact him at a later time because I was not enrolled in a DPT program yet, and really only gave me one of two options. One was to join the NROTC program (I am unable to join because of other commitments that I have such as sports) or enlist the Navy now (do not want to delay my schooling and miss out on a season for my sport and am not sure if I sign the contract if I am able to serve as a PT right away or at all). I also tried to talk to my career adviser, but did not have enough information at the time because there was not a lot of students with similar military interest. I also heard about the US Army Baylor DPT program, but I was wondering is that the only way to become a Navy PT if they only have 2 seats available per year? (the rest of the spots in the program are for students in the army branch) Also will the navy help pay for my education if I enroll in PT school? I would appreciate it if anyone has or is currently serving as a PT in the US navy to share some of your experiences as to how you became a Navy PT. Thank you for your time to read through all of this and hope to hear from you guys shortly. Take care.

Members don't see this ad.

Two spots my not sound like a lot, but you never know. You need to be recommended by an officer recruiter AND be accepted by Baylor. If one entity rejects your application, then thats it. A recruiter told me that they didn't even fill their Navy seats as of April, this year. Assuming that you are physically capable, the hard part is getting accepted by Baylor.

There are other ways of becoming a PT in the Armed Forces. Since you asked about Navy, click on this link and read the program provided at the bottom of the page for new commissions. This method requires you to gain entrance, fund and graduate PT school before being commissioned. When you have 12 months left of school, you can contact a recruiter for a commissioning in the Navy's Medical Services Corps - it takes almost a year. There is a lot of paperwork and requirements you must complete before a board is convened to evaluate your candidacy. With that said, don't be Joe-Schmoe-three-point-oh. Do your best because they will not expect anything less.

If given the opportunity to commission, you will gain the rank of 0-3. You skip 0-1 and 0-2 with a DPT and will be given 12 months to gain licensure from whatever state. You will also be given loan forgiveness of up to $30k annual ($40k, but the feds take a 25% tax) for each of 3 years. Thats potentially $90k for 3 years of gaining work experience. Minimum active duty obligation: 3 years. Thats 1 for 1. Not a bad deal. For those who have years of PT experience, the Navy also grants credit for work experience for additional rank increase considerations. Good luck.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/accessions/Pages/LoanRepayment.aspx

Last edited:
Hey tac92 we're in exactly the same boat. I'll be going into my junior year and I play ball full time too. Tough life. But it's the price we pay for being student athletes. Anyway, I looked into Baylor too and it's outrageously competitive! One of the suggested PT settings to observe in is a military clinic. I'm not sure where you're located but they are few and far between based on what I've read on these forums. I also looked into the repayment program mentioned above, and although I need to do a little more research it seems like a really good gig! However, being an athlete makes it damn near impossible to sign up for any kind of military while we're still in school. I'll let you know what I find out when I get around too it. Just wanted to make the connection in case you had some more questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're looking into the loan repayment plan, you may contact the recruiter about 12 months (what most recruiters recommend) before graduating from PT school. They will not be in a position to assist you before this time (quotas and budgets change every fiscal year). Therefor your undergrad extra curricular activities will not be affected. You have to pass a physical, get in contact with a Military PT (Navy requirement), be recommended by Military PT and then be reviewed for board. The board determines the best candidates for commissioning. Scared? Don't be. An officer recruiter will facilitate all the steps you need accomplished. Hence the 12 month contact recommendation. There is no service obligation until you're accepted by the military and then graduate. I commend both of you for considering to serve. Good luck.

Hello,
I am currently an undergraduate student entering my third year of college and would like to receive more information on how to become a physical therapist for the US Navy. I have always had a passion for serving my country as well as learning about physical therapy, and would be honored if I could pursue a career that is the best of both worlds. Over the past few months I have been trying to find out more about military PT's, how to become one, what they do vs a civilian PT, and some of the educational opportunities that come with being a Navy PT. After the long hours of research I still find myself confused as to how this process of becoming one plays out. I have tried to talk to a recruiter, but he said it would be best to contact him at a later time because I was not enrolled in a DPT program yet, and really only gave me one of two options. One was to join the NROTC program (I am unable to join because of other commitments that I have such as sports) or enlist the Navy now (do not want to delay my schooling and miss out on a season for my sport and am not sure if I sign the contract if I am able to serve as a PT right away or at all). I also tried to talk to my career adviser, but did not have enough information at the time because there was not a lot of students with similar military interest. I also heard about the US Army Baylor DPT program, but I was wondering is that the only way to become a Navy PT if they only have 2 seats available per year? (the rest of the spots in the program are for students in the army branch) Also will the navy help pay for my education if I enroll in PT school? I would appreciate it if anyone has or is currently serving as a PT in the US navy to share some of your experiences as to how you became a Navy PT. Thank you for your time to read through all of this and hope to hear from you guys shortly. Take care.

Yes, the US Army-Baylor PT prgm is the only military DPT prgm, and yes, the Navy and Air Force share anywhere between 2-4 seats each year (sometimes less depending on the candidates they feel are best for the prgm). As of now, there is a scholarship called the HPSP scholarship, but physical therapy isnt a medical occupation that is covered by the scholarship. So the only way that the military will pay for your schooling is US Army-Baylor or, if youre prior service, you get out and use your Post 9/11 GI Bill and then come back into the military.

Go to the baylor-armydpt site (google it) and look up the specific recruiter you should be speaking to...it's a very specific set of criteria and frankly no one but the actual recruiter is likely to know what they are talking about. I went through a lot of the discussion with them prior to deciding to make a run at med school instead.

Hopefully somebody sees this as I am digging up an old thread..

My main goal is to become a physical therapist, however I want to become a physical therapist who serves specifically the military population instead of the civilian population. Both of my grandfathers, many uncles, cousins, friends like brothers have served or are serving. I want to do my part for my country, by helping these brave men be as physically prepared and capable as possible when that notification arrives that these men will be going...wherever that may be.

Is becoming active duty in the military a necessary part of this equation? I would like to be a DPT who serves the military, not a soldier who is also a PT. Quite frankly I don't think I'd be cut out for basic training-- but I don't want my physical prowess or lack thereof to hinder my ability to help rehabilitate those in the armed services.

Ive done some digging and this thread has provided me with the most information thus far (looking at you Azimuthal). Can I get through a traditional DPT program and graduate, then when interviewing for a job......interview for a job say on a military base? Or would I need to become active duty myself first.

Any help is appreciated, thanks for listening

Hello,
Whatever you do, do not enlist as you would have to serve as an enlisted soldier and would not be able to attend a DPT school. It honestly would be easier for you to get accepted to a DPT program first then finish school prior to working as a PT in the armed forces. I am wanting to do the same, however, I am currently a commissioned officer in the Army within the medical service corps. Therefore, my priority is to get into a DPT program and just finish school.

My main goal is to become a physical therapist, however I want to become a physical therapist who serves specifically the military population instead of the civilian population. Both of my grandfathers, many uncles, cousins, friends like brothers have served or are serving. I want to do my part for my country, by helping these brave men be as physically prepared and capable as possible when that notification arrives that these men will be going...wherever that may be.

Is becoming active duty in the military a necessary part of this equation? I would like to be a DPT who serves the military, not a soldier who is also a PT. Quite frankly I don't think I'd be cut out for basic training-- but I don't want my physical prowess or lack thereof to hinder my ability to help rehabilitate those in the armed services.

Ive done some digging and this thread has provided me with the most information thus far (looking at you Azimuthal). Can I get through a traditional DPT program and graduate, then when interviewing for a job......interview for a job say on a military base? Or would I need to become active duty myself first.

You can definitely work as a civilian PT serving the military population. I have observed a least ten civilian PTs just in the northwest that specifically work on a military base. Some are government employees (GS pay scale) while others are contractors. Some are in inpatient PT and others work with Spec ops or general active duty populations. Seems like a lot of opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user

Check out this link:

https://www.usajobs.gov

You can filter by job title and agency, which would be Department of the Navy in this case. Military clinics obviously have a lot of active duty PTs, but they also use a lot of civilians which helps with continuity since active duty folks transfer every few years. From my experience it seems like a good number of the civilian PTs are prior service , but there were also a good number that had no military experience at all. Veterans do get hiring preference so not having military experience could be a detriment if you are going up against someone who does have prior service (I believe military spouses also get some preference in federal hiring as well). If possible try to land a clinical rotation at a military clinic. Not only is it good for networking, but it shows you are serious about working with military populations. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user