Physical Therapy Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmu4kl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone interviewed with Mayo this Fall? Just wondering if there are any helpful hints out there. I'm scheduled for October 7th!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed 2 years ago. (I'm applying as a transfer) They ask behavior questions. Lot's of scenarios. They asked "Name a time where you had to do this...Give me an example when you....." Sorry I would be more specific but I don't remember. Good Luck!!!

Has anyone interviewed with Mayo this Fall? Just wondering if there are any helpful hints out there. I'm scheduled for October 7th!

Congrats on getting a Mayo interview!

Out of curiosity, did they offer more than one interview date or just one? I know they have 2 interview dates for September, but if you're going in October, does that mean the September dates are already full?

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you :) When I confirmed my appointment the lady said the September interviews were full and that they just opened some more up for October 7th, 14th, and 28th. It sounded like they would be interviewing through December.

And thanks for the tip Kin 2010!

When I confirmed my appointment the lady said the September interviews were full and that they just opened some more up for October 7th, 14th, and 28th. It sounded like they would be interviewing through December.

Thanks for the info!

Can I ask when PTCAS mailed your app to Mayo?

I only submitted last week, so I'm still waiting for PTCAS to process and mail. I'm also gently nudging some of the references to finish up their recs. :whistle:

You're so lucky to have an early interview slot! I hope it goes really well for you. :)

Thanks for the info!

Can I ask when PTCAS mailed your app to Mayo?

I only submitted last week, so I'm still waiting for PTCAS to process and mail. I'm also gently nudging some of the references to finish up their recs. :whistle:

You're so lucky to have an early interview slot! I hope it goes really well for you. :)

Thank you! The mailing date listed for PTCAS is 9/6/11 and I got the email regarding my interview on 9/8/11, so it was a really quick turn around rate for me. It took PTCAS about a week to process all of my stuff and send it out. But don't worry too much! I'm sure the farther into Fall we go, the the less quickly they'll be able to get things done. Are you applying to Mayo as well?

Are you applying to Mayo as well?

Yep, submitted on 9/10 and doing the waiting game... I was able to get my professor to finish his reference today, and I'm off to visit my PT reference tomorrow to see how hers is coming along. Hopefully she'll finish this weekend. :xf:

That's so cool it only took them 2 days to get back to you after the mail date! Your stats must be awesome. :)

Are you from around there? I'm from Los Angeles, and I've actually never been to the Midwest before unless you count stopovers.

Are you from around there? I'm from Los Angeles, and I've actually never been to the Midwest before unless you count stopovers.

LA, wow, that's quite the haul from Minnesota! I'm from Michigan, so still the Midwestern area. Rochester is just about a 10 hour drive for me.

And good luck with your application! Hopefully you'll be hearing something back very soon :)

I just had my interview at Mayo on the 23rd of Sept. The interview was a half hour long, and it was all behavioral questions. Ex "name a time when you did _____."

Last edited:
Just found out today I was accepted at the Mayo clinic!! Sooo excited.

Congratulations, krdPT!!! That is soooo awesome! :)

I can only imagine the thrill and relief to be done so early. :luck:

Thanks so much too for the lowdown on the interview. Do you mind if I ask what your stats are?

I just had my interview at Mayo on the 23rd of Sept. The interview was a half hour long, and it was all behavioral questions. Ex "name a time when you did _____." They want you to be specific as possible. You are in the room with 1 professor and 1 PT student, who alternated asking the questions. What I didn't like about their process is that they had interviews at 2, 2:30, and 3. If you were in the 3:00 group you had to wait at least an hour in a room doing nothing. It made me incredibly nervous! You will hear a day or two after they receive your application for an interview. They did not give me a choice for the day, they just told me Sept 23rd. They said last year they had all their spots filled by Nov, but will still interview past that.

Just found out today I was accepted at the Mayo clinic!! Sooo excited. Good luck to you in your interview!!

I interview in early November there... That's a little disheartening. Obviously not everyone that applies there ends up going there... but to be interviewing for the waitlist is never a good thing :/

EDIT: Could you give me one example of a question they actually asked? (name a time when you did ____) Obviously they won't be asking the SAME questions for every student, but are we talking like "Name a time when you had a great time with a patient?" Or the more serious "Name a time when you had a conflict with one of your superiors?" or Both! :p

to be interviewing for the waitlist is never a good thing :/

Since Mayo has rolling admissions, krdPT's admittance doesn't necessarily mean that they've filled up all their spots. They make decisions about who's in and who's out after every interview date, so there will likely be less spots in November than there are now, but they may not yet be in waitlist territory.

Just found out today I was accepted at the Mayo clinic!! Sooo excited. Good luck to you in your interview!!

Congratulations krdPT!! That must feel like such a relief! Was Mayo your top choice school?

I have my interview in two days, hopefully my news is as good as yours :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!

Last edited:
How was your interview day, cmu4kl? I hope it went well!

I felt like it went really well!! I really loved the program and all of the faculty out there, such genuine people.

They are doing another round of interviews this Friday so the director said they would likely wait until after that group to discuss both our group and this Friday's candidates. So unfortunately I'll have to wait about two weeks to find out. I hate the waiting game, but I'll update when I find anything out. Thanks for asking :)

I felt like it went really well!! I really loved the program and all of the faculty out there, such genuine people.

Oh, good! Sounds like you had a great time there. I hope everything works out! :)

unfortunately I'll have to wait about two weeks to find out. I hate the waiting game, but I'll update when I find anything out. Thanks for asking :)

Waiting is the worst! I checked my e-mail obsessively after my interview. Glad to hear it went well :)

After weeks of waiting and worrying and incessantly checking my email I finally found out yesterday that I got accepted!! I'm beyond excited :)

After weeks of waiting and worrying and incessantly checking my email I finally found out yesterday that I got accepted!! I'm beyond excited :)

Congrats cmu4kl!!! :)

Congratulations, cmu4kl! That's so awesome!!! :)

Congrats!! Will you be attending there than? We will have to be in contact when it gets closer to starting. I am very nervous but yet excited about moving and it would be nice to have someone to ask questions about the process :)

Congrats!! Will you be attending there than? We will have to be in contact when it gets closer to starting. I am very nervous but yet excited about moving and it would be nice to have someone to ask questions about the process :)

I'm sending in my deposit today :D I haven't been accepted or invited to interview anywhere else, but Mayo was my first choice for a lot of reasons, so I'm fairlyyy certain that's where I'll end up. And we definitely need to keep in contact! I'm feeling the same: so excited, but really nervous about moving away. It's such an awesome opportunity though; can't wait!

Excellent work!