physical therapy licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lirpa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a new DPT student and just curious if anyone has or is soon taking your licensure exam??...Just curious what it is like and how difficult it is..how many times a year you can take it and the pass fail rate..i have always had trouble with standardized test and did not do to well on my gre!:(..understand it is different for each state and i am attending school in cali but plan on becoming a traveling pt so insight would be great..thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated last year and took my exam 3 months later. Some of my classmates took it sooner, some later. We all passed. I am not a great test taker either, I am much more of a practical person. Passing will be dependent on your study habits prior to the test, how well your school has prepared you, and how well your clinicals have prepared you.

It's definitely not an easy test as it can take 4 hours to finish (I was mentally drained at the 3 hour mark)....but I still passed. I think you can take it many times within the time frame you are allotted (usually 2 months after registering). Some states you can work with a temp license prior to taking the boards. I worked full time and only had time to study on the weekends. I didn't even take a break after graduation (which I don't recommend).

Don't worry about it now. Study hard and enjoy your time in PT school. Worry about the boards towards the end of 3rd year.

thank you very much..i know i should not worry now..but i always like looking ahead!:)..just curious though..not sure how it works..so even before you actually pass the test you can work right out of school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the state....on the east coast where I work, you can work with a temporary license in CT and NY but not in NJ...Difference is that you will have to get all your notes co-signed by practicing PTs until you are licensed (which can be pretty annoying).

thank you very much..i know i should not worry now..but i always like looking ahead!:)..just curious though..not sure how it works..so even before you actually pass the test you can work right out of school?

In California, you can become an LPTA (licensed physical therapy applicant). During this time you work under the supervision of a licensed PT.