Physical therapy or Dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucane

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm an italian student in the last year of high school, my dream is to live in Canada or USA and I enjoy health care jobs , I have to choose in few days but I can't decide between dentistry (5 years) and physical therapy (4 years) degree.. I'm not so rich to open a private practise , so I should first work as associate or public employer ( if I take dentistry) .. which one of these two jobs would let me easier obtain a resident permission in north America( preferably Canada) ? I speak well italian, Spanish and I should improve my English level, but I have time for this.. ps: I don't know which I would enjoy the most, it depends on case and patient.. perhaps I'd feel more free being a physical therapy, but at the same time I'm attracted by the money dentists earn; I like stand on feet and be healthy and fit.. thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If I understand you correctly, you plan to study dentistry or physical therapy in Italy and then come to the US or Canada to work?

Before you can work in the US, you'll need to be licensed; to be licensed, you must take an exam (commonly called "the Board");
But before you can sign up for the exam, you'll need to fulfill a set of requirements.
These are the requirements for PT: NPTE Eligibility Requirements
The dental board has its own requirements, you can start here: National Board Dental Examinations
Having been trained outside of the US, you will find that these requirements can be quite cumbersome. Check them out before you commit to either field.

Canada most likely has a similar process.

Reactions: 1 user