Physical Therapy or Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jula

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was just curious, do you think the physical therapy program is harder than pharmacy or vice versa or are they about the same? Just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

This is like comparing apples to oranges because PT and Pharm are entirely different professions. Pharmacy is all about drug interactions and PT is about rehabilitation of mostly muscularskeletal systems. Also, consider where your interests lie. PT might be easier in the long term finding a job,but make less money. Pharmacy is more saturated right now, but if you perfer working with drugs and thier interaction in the body for research / dispensing drugs in a retail setting and / or clinical aspects in a hospitals I would suggest pharmacy. Far as patient interact Pharmacy is usually more limited because in a retail setting you can advise customers on thier perscriptions and in a clinical setting you might talk with them more, but in PT you get hands on interaction. Make a list of pros and Cons of each profession and figure out where your heart lies. you need the motivation and drive to succeed in either of these professions. I advise against looking at either profession strictly for the salary and using that as a deciding factor. Also, my advice is to do either degree as cheaply as possible (especially PT, presitige of school doesnt really matter here). Choose a pharmacy school by picking an accrediated, well respected school with good networking connections in areas of pharmacy your interested in. Cost of a tutition does not indicate a better school. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Neither is easy but not enjoying the field will make either significantly harder. I know I wouldn't cut it in pharm school because I despised every advanced chem course I've taken. I'm sure plenty of pharmacists feel the same about PT topics. There is a lot to be said for things coming easier when you take interest in what you are studying.

I personally do not like the retail setting in Pharmacy, more so in retail chains like Safeway and Wal-Mart. The provider to patient relationship is more like a retailer to customer relationship in those settings. From what I have observed, I wouldn't mind tearing some "customers" heads off, but I can't. Most of my family are pharmacists or in school to become one. So in that respect, Pharmacy is harder for me. :)