Physical Therapy or Physician Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DolFAN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The other night I went to dinner at my girlfriends house. Two of her uncles were over, both of them accomplished doctors. One of them owns several health clinics in palm beach area. We talked a bit about it and what it took to open clinic. I told him my aspirations to be a physical therapist, he then suggested I look into and try PA. He told me the salary for a PA and how it only 2 takes to complete. He made a bunch of other arguments that made it seem very appealing.

Have you guys ever been confused as to which route to take?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you interested in movement dysfunction and physical rehabilitation or cellular disease and medical intervention?

Both provide opportunities for patient care, but a PA will never be a truly autonomous practitioner, while a PT can if he/she so chooses. PA is very limited in terms of employment arenas as compared with PT.

Keep in mind that many who get into good PT schools can also get into medical schools, but choose not to for a reason. Figure out what type of practice you want to be a part of and then decide...I know it is difficult, but keep away from the "its a whole extra year of schooling" or "they get paid more" arguments. If those are the only reasons why you pick PA over PT, while dismissing other valid thoughts, you may very well find yourself regretting that decision down the road.

Reactions: 1 user
I've thought about PA quite a bit in the past year, even after applying (and getting accepted) into PT schools...The salary and cost of school is very appealing - getting paid 25-33% more and paying for a year less of school and starting the career earlier can make a very big difference.

I also never realized that PAs can be involved in surgery, etc. I always thought they only worked in family practice (my gyno is actually a PA, and I assumed that that's all they did, and that never remotely appealed to me.) When I observed an ACL reconstruction and there was a PA helping out and doing part of the surgery, it intrigued me.

There are several reasons I've decided to do PT over PA - first, I know I only want to do ortho work. If I could only work on dancers the rest of my life, that'd be great (hence my username). I know that's not possible, but I've come to love working with all types of patients with orthopedic issues, and working with dancers is just an added bonus to the job. While in PT school I know I'll have to do neuro and inpatient and all that jazz, but that's just a year or so, not even....I can still focus on ortho. Even still, those other areas still relate back to orthopedics and the physical movement sciences. But, if I were to go to PA school or med school, I'd have to learn a lot of things that are so far out of my interest that I just wouldn't want to do it (like OBGYN, internal med, urology, emergency med, etc.) Anatomy has always been a favorite subject of mine, even as a little kid, and one of my anatomy professors who teaches at a Chicago med school said that PTs know the most anatomy out of all the medical professions (except maybe anatomy professors at med schools).

Secondly, I feel like if I were to go to PA school it'd be a bit of a cop-out. Nothing against PAs - I totally understand why people would do it (I thought about it), and I have some close friends who are going that route. For me though, I feel like I'd be looked down upon by my family for not going the med school route. I'm even getting a bit of that now for doing PT instead. I know PA school is also very competitive, but if I were going to go there I may as well go to med school. I know financially it makes a lot of sense to do PA instead of med school, but I wouldn't want to spend all that time and then not be able to be my own boss/have the ability to be my own boss. I wouldn't want to be someone's assistant, even though I know a lot of PAs practically practice on their own.

Not to mention, PA school requires organic chemistry, and I just really don't want to ever take it :p Just kidding, that's not a main reason, but it definitely is influential. haha.

As a PT I know that I can be an autonomous practitioner, as the previous poster pointed out. One day I want to own my own integrated practice, and as a PA I couldn't do it without an MD or DO on board.

One day I may go back to PA school maybe....after I am done with the PT thing (I know my body won't be able to take it for too long - I'm already falling apart and I'm not even in school yet). As a PT I will get to do what I love, and only have to worry about learning what is interesting to me (anatomy, kinesiology, etc.). I can still watch surgeries (which I love to do) since I'll be sucking up to MDs for referrals, without the stress of med school.

These are just my thoughts. lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
"since I'll be sucking up to MDs for referrals"

That was a point brought up by my girl friends uncle. Essentially us PT's will need these referrals from MD's especially if we open up our own practices which I hope to do one day.
Her uncle was telling me that he regularly sent his patients to rehab clinics such as CORA. Now that he will be hiring PT's to work in his urgent care centers he will stop the flow of patients to these places thus putting a bit of a strain on the centers.
His approach and his reasoning scared me a bit, I hate the idea of having to rely so much on some other person for my source of income. It just really bothered me.

"since I'll be sucking up to MDs for referrals"

That was a point brought up by my girl friends uncle. Essentially us PT's will need these referrals from MD's especially if we open up our own practices which I hope to do one day.
Her uncle was telling me that he regularly sent his patients to rehab clinics such as CORA. Now that he will be hiring PT's to work in his urgent care centers he will stop the flow of patients to these places thus putting a bit of a strain on the centers.
His approach and his reasoning scared me a bit, I hate the idea of having to rely so much on some other person for my source of income. It just really bothered me.

That's true, but not everyone relies on referrals. If you're in a direct access state, then it's more word of mouth and visibility. I work in a corporate clinic right now, that is the official PT sponsor for a lot of professional sports teams and dance companies, so we get a lot of visibility that way. But, the PTs do have to do marketing tasks, and corporate has a marketing dept to get MDs to refer patients to our facility. But, there are a TON of local PT places, and none of them seem to be hurting for patients.

Physician-owned PT practices are looked down upon by the APTA and most practicing physical therapists. The inherent problems with such a model can prove devastating to the PT profession. For example, Dr. Joe prescribes PT at the clinic he owns for the same ache and "owie" that Dr. Bob would prescribe Advil and an icepack for. Dr. Joe collects extra $$$$. I am not saying that all Physician-owned practices operate in this manner, but these types of practices do open the opportunity for fraud. In a time where we are moving towards evidence-based practices where the strength of a practice lies in its measurable outcomes, having "Rehab Clinics" not operated by autonomous physical therapists is self limiting. Their source of income is a boss that in certain circumstances they cannot choose to defy...another example: Dr. Joe says the condition indicates PT...the Physical Therapist (the expert in musculoskeletal dysfunction between the two) does not agree but goes along with his "superior" for the sake of his job.

With the growing number of DPTs and the concurrent confidence boost needed within the profession to move towards autonomous practice, I'll bet that we see less and less of these practices.

As far as the OP and his situation: rehabilitation or medicine, and if the later, why not med school?

As far as the OP and his situation: rehabilitation or medicine, and if the later, why not med school?

My point exactly.

And also I'd think it'd be bad for physician owned PT practices as well - especially if the PT doesn't agree with the physician's plan of care or even their diagnosis. It's much harder to tell the patient to get a second opinion/go to a different doc when that MD is your boss and writing your paychecks. I'd feel super awkward.

There are a few physician practice owned PT places that I know of, and usually those MDs send their patients to us or another outpatient clinic anyway :p The MD doesn't own the PT place, but it's affiliated with their practice....not really sure what the point is if they don't even use it. lol.

Thank you guys for all the replies. Very insightful stuff and I really appreciate the views. As far as my worry and indecision goes, after some time away from the situation and time to think I realized that physical therapy is my thing. It's something ive enjoyed for some time want to do in the long run.

two years of education versus at least seven, more ability to work in different specialties, and the ability to work in a relatively autonomous fashion despite the profession's name are a few reasons that stick out.

As for PA versus PT, PAs don't have to deal with as many reimbursement issues as PTs do it seems. While PAs don't have much competition because not too many professions are capable of working in medicine, rehabilitation is not all exclusive to PT. ATCs are looking to acquire the capability to perform some forms of manipulative therapy and it looks like they are gaining leverage. While Chiropracter's aren't deemed much of a threat from many PTs, they do perform manipulation. Kinesiotherapists, while not really a well established profession, has a good bit of educational training overlap with the PT profession.

Autonomy is a relative term. No practitioner has full autonomy. Direct access is already applicable in 42 states, but most patients are still referred by a MD/DO,PA, or NP due to attaining reimbursement from third party payers. Without acceptance of direct access from both the public and third party payers it has little use. People don't want to pay out of pocket for PT. So there is definitely an uphill battle for the PT profession. It doesn't help that there is little evidence to support that DPTs produce any greater patient results than BsPTs despite their increased education and educational loans. I'd definitely say that PT is a little more risky than PA, but both look to be in demand for the future.

Which job has a higher demand for the future and which profession is more competitive to get into? Also, with the Obamacare, how will PT vs. PA be affected?

Both careers are going to be in great demand according to the bls. Both programs are competitive. I'd say PA school is currently more competitive than PT school. I've heard variances in the competitiveness of current DPT programs. Some say applications to programs are down and some say they are up. I guess it all depends on the program. One school I was looking at had 200 applicants for 30 seats with a average cum GPA of 3.6 and GRE of 1250 so that school's pretty competitive still.

As for healthcare reform no one currently knows. When I ask these types of questions I either get a vague response or none at all. The lack of response can be interpreted as uncertainty or pessimism. I will say that there looks to be a number of new healthcare consumers in the near future with the evident required insurance mandate. With new consumers means more demand for services. Then again PT is considered an ancillary service compared to medicine. Medicine gets the priority when it comes down to who gets paid for services. So the questions regarding the financial specifics I'd say are pretty important. Of course there are no specifics currently.

The realities of our politics assure that our polititians are still acting in their own as well as their special interest groups best interests and not that of the American people. As long as they are percieved as doing so then they are in good shape. The only thing for certain is Medicare in its current state is headed for bankruptcy and with this reality is looking to aquire a number of new beneficiaries. I'd say this an important detail that needs ironed out. There remains plenty of pessimism that the tools playing politics will get it right.

Thank you lee9786 for responding. I got accepted into PT school for the summer and look forward to starting the program. Although Obamacare concerns me a lot I hope the outlook for physical therapy remains strong. Have a great NEW YEAR everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you interested in movement dysfunction and physical rehabilitation or cellular disease and medical intervention?

Both provide opportunities for patient care, but a PA will never be a truly autonomous practitioner, while a PT can if he/she so chooses. PA is very limited in terms of employment arenas as compared with PT.

Keep in mind that many who get into good PT schools can also get into medical schools, but choose not to for a reason. Figure out what type of practice you want to be a part of and then decide...I know it is difficult, but keep away from the "its a whole extra year of schooling" or "they get paid more" arguments. If those are the only reasons why you pick PA over PT, while dismissing other valid thoughts, you may very well find yourself regretting that decision down the road.

That is crazy. As a PA you can work in:

family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, OBGYN, surgery (plastics, neuro,orthopedics, general), emergency medicine, dermatology, neurology, critical care.....even physical medicine and rehabilitation--which is basically like PT plus the ability to prescribe meds.....

PA is one of the most flexible careers in healthcare.

Both PA and PT are good fields to get into. the question is..do u want to provide therapy after a diagnosis has already been established; or do u want to practice medicine (ie take history and perform physical exams, order and interpret lab tests, make medical diagnoses, and prescribe meds) in an autonomous though dependent manner.

The other night I went to dinner at my girlfriend's house. Two of her uncles were over, both of them accomplished doctors. One of them owns several health clinics in palm beach area. We talked a bit about it and what it took to open clinic. I told him my aspirations to be a physical therapist, he then suggested I look into and try PA. He told me the salary for a PA and how it only 2 takes to complete. He made a bunch of other arguments that made it seem very appealing.

Have you guys ever been confused as to which route to take?

These doctor's opinions aren't that unusual, from my experience as a PT. Most physicians' appreciate and respect physical therapists....especially orthopods. I also believe they look at the profession as sort of a lite-healthcare degree. Anyhow, I'm a BSPT,MSATC,PHD person and can appreciate these two physicians' opinions.

I'm not speaking of direct experience as I've never been to PA school, but I'm seriously thinking about applying this year. First, I wouldn't look at PA as one year less than PT school. PA school is condensed and is incredibly rigorous.....PT is much less intense and spread out over three years now. I guess there are some PA schools that are spread out over 3 years, but most are 2-2.5 years. The number of hours you spend in class is insane.....at least like nothing I had to go through in my academic career (it's set up very similar to medical schooling. Although many might have their arguments, the average PA school is something like 120 weeks versus the average medical school averages 150/160 weeks. When you compare hours of classroom/clinical training, the averages get even closer. Of course, medical school is spread out over 4 years and PA is completed in approximately 2 years. THe point is that you shouldn't underestimate the difficulty of PA school as I understand it anyway. My experience as a university prof teaching PT/ATC students is that the time commitments are quite different than those who undergo medical training.

For what it's worth, I will share some considerations I didn't give much weight to when I was younger (I'm still young) preparing for a career:
1. PT/AT is quite physical. You have a lot of lifting. Much of what you do isn't that glorious.....gate training, PRE's with low functioning patients....ect. It can be fairly boring.
2. You spend a lot of time with patients. Probably more than just about any other healthcare provider. 1/2-1 hour is typical. For me, it's more than I wanted to spend with most patients.
3. You're stuck in PT....not a lot of latitude. There really isn't a lot of opportunity to own your own practice.....unless you find a niche market. It's risky in most areas and where I practice (we have direct access) but you still need a medical director who's a physician. Further, direct access is useless unless insurance will pay.....and I don't see that happening, especially as healthcare is moving in a hard direction to contain costs. I wouldn't pay without a referral either if I were the insurance company....it's only common sense and their is no evidence to suggest that there is a more efficient system than the one we already have in place, although some of my PT friends who own their own business love to argue why it only makes sense.
4. You'll eventually become tired of the latest trends in PT with what are framed to be the latest most novel form of manual therapy.....hell you'll even be able to get a certificate in some.....it's really the only gimmick out there to rev the engines of intellectually thirsty PT's.....but eventually in your career you figure out they're all hype and additional certificates you might be able to earn are worth the paper their written on.
5. You will help people.....but the ones I felt like I actually was helping were the lower fuctioning patients who needed to walk again or get out of bed......ect. They are also the most boring to work with (for me), but they actually need our help and we can make a difference with these folks. When you work with truly sick patients, there is always somebody there to bale you out as a PT if something bad happens....when I worked in cadiac/pulmonary rehab, there was always a cadiac nurse, PA or MD there (depending on the type of rehab) just in case somethings serious happened. Essentailly what I'm saying is that when you're working with sick patients, there's always a medical person there to run the show and make the final calls..it's not the PT.
Compared to the PA,
1. Surely, you will typically work for a physician, which is what most PT's do (either MD/DO or PT employers). Approximately 3% of PA's own their own practice and hire a supervising physician.
2. PA's do make more money and have more flexibility to have 2nd and 3rd jobs (weekends, nights, ect.) I know several who work in ortho, 1st assist, work fast track in the evenings or weekends....and make bank. They easily make as much as many PT practice owners do.....without many of the headaches. PA's can work in many specialties at the same time with several supervising physicians.
3. PA's have a lot of autonomy.....more than a PT as far as I'm concerned. just as a PT works and treats their own patients....so don't PA's.....PA's usually seek out consultation from their sup physicians as needed.....similar to how a PT might seek out consultation from the surgeon PRN. Know body is standing over your shoulder giving directions once you're qualified and experienced.
4. PA's have the ability to work in any specialty without going back to school. If you get sick of primary care and want to do derm......you can get a job. No other medical professional can do that I'm aware of without going back to school.....MD's can't even do this.
5. They're respected by their piers....and most PA's have a very interesting and rich life story. Many have served in the military as medics, paramedics, PT's, peace core....it's endless...

I think from a physician perspective and my perspective, the PA is the assistant chief of healthcare....with the MD/DO as the highest rank. Don't be confused by all these new entry level clinical "doctorate" degrees. These are simply mandates by professional organizations as the new entry level degree.....trust me; academia isn't in agreement with labeling them doctorate degrees. The AAPA could easily come out and proclaim the entry level PA degree a "doctorate" and require doctorate degrees be awarded to maintain accreditation......They could do it without changing a thing academically....academically it's already equal or more schooling than all other doctorates other than the MD/DO/PhD.

It is a difficult decision. They truly are apples and oranges. Remember, to qualify for PA school, you'll likely need appreciable medical experience. PA schools generally only like folks with previous healthcare experience. Educate yourself before deciding on a career.....don't end up like me with house and land, family, dogs, bills.....and decide you have to go back to school.

One other thing.....MD isn't a bad choice either, but it's a lot more commitment than the,PT, OT, PharmD, PsychD, other newly formed entry level clinical "doctorate" degrees. There is a little more parity b/t PA and PT commitment wise. Both incredible degrees with good earning potential. Try not to glamorize either one and figure out which one you can see yourself doing the rest of your life.

If it were me graduating from high school today.....my career path would look like this.....ATC program, followed by combined MSPA/MPH program, followed by PhD. I would have everything I have now and more......It's too bad that PT is now a graduate program and not undergrad. I just don't see how PT's are going to justify earning a PhD anymore. The ATC's have it right....although I hear they're considering the MSATC the entry level standard now......stupid.

For what my opinionated thoughts are worth.....L.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
These doctor's opinions aren't that unusual, from my experience as a PT. Most physicians’ appreciate and respect physical therapists....especially orthopods. I also believe they look at the profession as sort of a lite-healthcare degree. Anyhow, I'm a BSPT,MSATC,PHD person and can appreciate these two physicians’ opinions.

I'm not speaking of direct experience as I've never been to PA school, but I'm seriously thinking about applying this year. First, I wouldn't look at PA as one year less than PT school. PA school is condensed and is incredibly rigorous.....PT is much less intense and spread out over three years now. I guess there are some PA schools that are spread out over 3 years, but most are 2-2.5 years. The number of hours you spend in class is insane.....at least like nothing I had to go through in my academic career (it's set up very similar to medical schooling. Although many might have their arguments, the average PA school is something like 120 weeks versus the average medical school averages 150/160 weeks. When you compare hours of classroom/clinical training, the averages get even closer. Of course, medical school is spread out over 4 years and PA is completed in approximately 2 years. THe point is that you shouldn't underestimate the difficulty of PA school as I understand it anyway. My experience as a university prof teaching PT/ATC students is that the time commitments are quite different than those who undergo medical training.

For what it's worth, I will share some considerations I didn't give much weight to when I was younger (I’m still young) preparing for a career:
1. PT/AT is quite physical. You have a lot of lifting. Much of what you do isn't that glorious.....gate training, PRE's with low functioning patients....ect. It can be fairly boring.
2. You spend a lot of time with patients. Probably more than just about any other healthcare provider. 1/2-1 hour is typical. For me, it's more than I wanted to spend with most patients.
3. You're stuck in PT....not a lot of latitude. There really isn't a lot of opportunity to own your own practice.....unless you find a niche market. It's risky in most areas and where I practice (we have direct access) but you still need a medical director who's a physician. Further, direct access is useless unless insurance will pay.....and I don't see that happening, especially as healthcare is moving in a hard direction to contain costs. I wouldn't pay without a referral either if I were the insurance company....it's only common sense and their is no evidence to suggest that there is a more efficient system than the one we already have in place, although some of my PT friends who own their own business love to argue why it only makes sense.
4. You'll eventually become tired of the latest trends in PT with what are framed to be the latest most novel form of manual therapy.....hell you'll even be able to get a certificate in some.....it's really the only gimmick out there to rev the engines of intellectually thirsty PT's.....but eventually in your career you figure out they're all hype and additional certificates you might be able to earn are worth the paper their written on.
5. You will help people.....but the ones I felt like I actually was helping were the lower fuctioning patients who needed to walk again or get out of bed......ect. They are also the most boring to work with (for me), but they actually need our help and we can make a difference with these folks. When you work with truly sick patients, there is always somebody there to bale you out as a PT if something bad happens....when I worked in cadiac/pulmonary rehab, there was always a cadiac nurse, PA or MD there (depending on the type of rehab) just in case somethings serious happened. Essentailly what I'm saying is that when you're working with sick patients, there's always a medical person there to run the show and make the final calls..it's not the PT.
Compared to the PA,
1. Surely, you will typically work for a physician, which is what most PT's do (either MD/DO or PT employers). Approximately 3% of PA's own their own practice and hire a supervising physician.
2. PA's do make more money and have more flexibility to have 2nd and 3rd jobs (weekends, nights, ect.) I know several who work in ortho, 1st assist, work fast track in the evenings or weekends....and make bank. They easily make as much as many PT practice owners do.....without many of the headaches. PA's can work in many specialties at the same time with several supervising physicians.
3. PA's have a lot of autonomy.....more than a PT as far as I'm concerned. just as a PT works and treats their own patients....so don't PA's.....PA's usually seek out consultation from their sup physicians as needed.....similar to how a PT might seek out consultation from the surgeon PRN. Know body is standing over your shoulder giving directions once you're qualified and experienced.
4. PA's have the ability to work in any specialty without going back to school. If you get sick of primary care and want to do derm......you can get a job. No other medical professional can do that I'm aware of without going back to school.....MD's can't even do this.
5. They're respected by their piers....and most PA's have a very interesting and rich life story. Many have served in the military as medics, paramedics, PT's, peace core....it's endless...

I think from a physician perspective and my perspective, the PA is the assistant chief of healthcare....with the MD/DO as the highest rank. Don't be confused by all these new entry level clinical "doctorate" degrees. These are simply mandates by professional organizations as the new entry level degree.....trust me; academia isn't in agreement with labeling them doctorate degrees. The AAPA could easily come out and proclaim the entry level PA degree a "doctorate" and require doctorate degrees be awarded to maintain accreditation......They could do it without changing a thing academically....academically it's already equal or more schooling than all other doctorates other than the MD/DO/PhD.

It is a difficult decision. They truly are apples and oranges. Remember, to qualify for PA school, you'll likely need appreciable medical experience. PA schools generally only like folks with previous healthcare experience. Educate yourself before deciding on a career.....don't end up like me with house and land, family, dogs, bills.....and decide you have to go back to school.

One other thing.....MD isn't a bad choice either, but it's a lot more commitment than the,PT, OT, PharmD, PsychD, other newly formed entry level clinical "doctorate" degrees. There is a little more parity b/t PA and PT commitment wise. Both incredible degrees with good earning potential. Try not to glamorize either one and figure out which one you can see yourself doing the rest of your life.

If it were me graduating from high school today.....my career path would look like this.....ATC program, followed by combined MSPA/MPH program, followed by PhD. I would have everything I have now and more......It's too bad that PT is now a graduate program and not undergrad. I just don't see how PT's are going to justify earning a PhD anymore. The ATC's have it right....although I hear they're considering the MSATC the entry level standard now......stupid.

For what my opinionated thoughts are worth.....L.

Your insight and perspective is appreciated, but I will contend that there are several strong misconceptions here (based on your personal experience it seems) that just aren't the true reality of either profession. Will respond when free.

I agree with MotionDoc.

There are a lot of successful PTs who work independently and own/operate private practices. Although there are PTs who hire Sports MDs on a contract basis to work out of their clinics to draw patients, don't assume that you need an MD to be a successful PT.

Yes, referrals are valuable but you can see patients without referral as well, and if your services are reasonably priced, patients will pay out of pocket or through private insurance.

To be successful, it's up to the PT to get out there and market themselves. I do know of several clinics in my area that are owned by PTs who then bring in Sport MDs on contract, and not vice versa. They make good money and the PTs call the shots in the business, not the MD. I think it really becomes important to have good business skills more than a 'higher ranking' (ie MD degree).

I agree with MotionDoc.

There are a lot of successful PTs who work independently and own/operate private practices. Although there are PTs who hire Sports MDs on a contract basis to work out of their clinics to draw patients, don't assume that you need an MD to be a successful PT.

Yes, referrals are valuable but you can see patients without referral as well, and if your services are reasonably priced, patients will pay out of pocket or through private insurance.

To be successful, it's up to the PT to get out there and market themselves. I do know of several clinics in my area that are owned by PTs who then bring in Sport MDs on contract, and not vice versa. They make good money and the PTs call the shots in the business, not the MD. I think it really becomes important to have good business skills more than a 'higher ranking' (ie MD degree).

I must have written something that was misleading in my post...I agrees and I'm also aware of similar practices as you describe.

Disclosure: Please don't take my notes too seriously! I'm one mind with a unique experience and opinionated. Personally, I don't agree with direct access for PT's. Reasons: you've already heard the debates from others. I fall on the side that doesn't agree with direct access. I seek only to offer my perspective to the original poster regarding my thoughts PA vs PT.

Reference to my previous post: PA programs look for students who have a desire to study, work hard, and "to be of service." On average, the accredited physician assistant programs last 24 months -- or stated another way, run about 111 weeks compared to 155 weeks for medical school - material prepared by the Public Information Committee of the American Academy of Physician Assistants. (6/99)

Look forward to hearing others opinions on this issue. Best regards, L

Last edited:
lawguil what opportunites does a MPH degree offer to PAs? So you have a Phd? What is that it?

lawguil what opportunites does a MPH degree offer to PAs? So you have a Phd? What is that it?

My understanding is that the MPH may provide opportunities related to planning, policies and procedures related to health management. There is a focus on statistics, epidemiology, education... and other related subjects to prepare students for health related urban planning and administrative type positions.

It may be best to ask somebody who has actually completed the program. There are several PA/MPH as well MD/MPH program in existance.

Get all you can when you can......the more latitude you have professionally....just seems better. I've found it's hard to predict what will motivate myself....when I was 18.....I was all about PT.....things change.

#2 - It was sort of a blend b/t kinesiology and ex phy.....not really an expert in either

Interesting debate.

I am a 1st year PT student and my longtime girlfriend is a 1st year PA student, both of us at the same school. It makes for interesting dinner-talk!

All I can say is that both are great careers, and each have their pros/cons. Just do what you think you would enjoy!

Also consider that the NHSC offers loan repayment (and I believe you can also be selected to earn a salary while you are in school) for PA/MD/DO type practitioners who agree to work in an underserved community. http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/

I believe they will match year for year....one year of service = 1 year of school repayment.

PA school = Approx 2 years = 2 years of service committment to repay school....although I'm not familiar with all the details...there may be some caps on repayment. Even if you don't qualify for this program while going to school, you can apply for repayment of loans if you find a job in a rural underserved community.

As far as I know, there is nothing like this for PT students.

It's hard to pass up repaying your loans in two years as a PA.... It makes the salary of the PA/MD/DO even more inviting.

PT students are coming out of school owing way too much money....100K.

An interesting perspective regarding clinical doctorates below - A Clinical Look at Clinical Doctorates - The Chronicle of Higher Education

http://chronicle.com/article/A-Clinical-Look-at-Clinical/10213

unedited, L

Lawguil I've looked into the NHSC previously. I actually wrote these folks an e-mail inquiring about PT services in rural areas and whether or not they are provided any type of reimbursement. The answer was no. Now from what I understand the APTA is working toward PTs becoming added to the list of providers. I don't know what type of progress they are making, but I'm positive the lack of PTs in these underserved areas would increase substantially if they were to be added. So I guess the question is would it be likely that a provision adding PTs to the list is passed?

I've also heard that there is a possibility PAs education will be moved to the clinical doctorate. It is truly all about the money and the revenue that can be generated at our wonderful educational institutions. Education is the best business in this country! They barely need to advertise. Costs annually go up without a decrease in customers. It's quite disturbing really.

I truly have concerns about higher education in this country. Student loans are spiraling out of control. With this the inability to pay them back comes right along with it. Someone has to pay however, and this someone is burdened by our tax payers. Is this an individual issue or a societal issue? How sustainable is a model that requires a 2:1 debt to income ratio? Maybe it's time for educational reform. Is it good for society to have their potential PTs choose PA based upon the ability to pay their loans off sometime in this lifetime?

I've also looked heavily into pursing PA over PT. After all I have all of the prereqs it only makes sense to look into the option. Would this decision be based upon a passion for medicine? Unfortunately no not yet anyway. Would it be based upon the idea that I believe I could make a good PA, also contribute to society just like PT, and have more of an ability to pay off student loans? Absolutely! It's disturbing that I could pursue a PTA degree and have a more favorable debt to income ratio than if I pursued PT. There is also a concern that I would outgrow PT and would want to be more involved healthcare at a later time. This would be tough with the high debt incurred if I were to pursue the DPT. Thus the thinking is and has been for some time to possibly look into the option of working as a PTA for a couple years and then pursue PA when the time comes. I have no problems with getting my hands dirty. I'd feel a tremendous amout of self gratification working with stroke victims with intent to get their lives back on track. I wouldn't have a problem doing home health care as I'd be in the patient's home environment and could work to prevent injury as well as treat.

Unfortunately if I pursued the PTA route I believe I'd be less likely to pursue the DPT at a later time. I still don't know why so little opportunity is present for PTAs to advance to the DPT. Because of this barrier of entry, it only makes PA even more desireable. I'm also concerned about the negatives that direct access would bring. How is a PT supposed to support an additional malpractice insurance fee along with their continual threats of decreased reimbursement? Does the APTA think that direct access is going to generate enough revenue for the PT to offset these additional costs?

Also consider that the NHSC offers loan repayment (and I believe you can also be selected to earn a salary while you are in school) for PA/MD/DO type practitioners who agree to work in an underserved community. http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/

I believe they will match year for year....one year of service = 1 year of school repayment.

PA school = Approx 2 years = 2 years of service committment to repay school....although I'm not familiar with all the details...there may be some caps on repayment. Even if you don't qualify for this program while going to school, you can apply for repayment of loans if you find a job in a rural underserved community.

As far as I know, there is nothing like this for PT students.

It's hard to pass up repaying your loans in two years as a PA.... It makes the salary of the PA/MD/DO even more inviting.

PT students are coming out of school owing way too much money....100K.

unedited, L

Programs like this absolutely do exist for PT students. If you go to a New York PT school, the state department of Education pays a year's worth of tuition for every 16 months of commitment to working in the school system. These types of articulations exist all across the country...although I will admit that I stumbled across this in my PT school search, and have never researched the subject. Still, its not like they were keeping it a secret.

On a side note, people like throwing around numbers like PT school will cost you 150k in debt, blah blah blah. I will be graduating from an excellent DPT program with about 30K in debt, and not a dime was funded by parents. Many others are in the same financial situation as I am. Be a good steward of your time and money for 3 years, and this is a very real reality.

Last edited:
Programs like this absolutely do exist for PT students. If you go to a New York PT school, the state department of Education pays a year's worth of tuition for every 16 months of commitment to working in the school system. These types of articulations exist all across the country...although I will admit that I stumbled across this in my PT school search, and have never researched the subject. Still, its not like they were keeping it a secret.

On a side note, people like throwing around numbers like PT school will cost you 150k in debt, blah blah blah. I will be graduating from an excellent DPT program with about 30K in debt, and not a dime was funded by parents. Many others are in the same financial situation as I am. Be a good steward of your time and money for 3 years, and this is a very real reality.

I've heard of some of these agreements, but never met anybody who participated in such. They seem to be more the exception of the rule - would be interesting to hear numbers. Nonetheless, I suspect it's nothing like the opportunities that exist for medical/PA/NP students. In my area, if you want an NHCS position, you can find one. Just go to northern maine, vermont, and some parts of NH...you'll have a position. That's a great price-30k. Programs I'm familiar with are in the ballpark of 60k just for tuition for the 3 yr program. Add additional loans for living expenses to your undergraduate bill....and most folks are over 100k. I'm still paying for my BS degree, but I was able to pay for grad school as a GA/TA..... From my perspective, 30k for anything post bacc is 30K too much....but things aren't like they used to be. People are willing to pay more for degrees than they used to. I sometimes wonder if students understand what it's like to pay back a 100k+ note and then trying to have the things most people want like a house and reasonably new cars. Heck there are way to many kids coming out of undergrad today with 100k in loans.....Honestly, I just don't know how they can make it.

L.

From what I understand a PT student is unable to work while in the program so additional loans will have to be taken out to cover tuition. So have you been able to work and if so what did you do? If not what was your means of support? Unless your staying at your parents place throughout the program there has to be some way to pay for rent, food, gas, books, as well as all the other additional fees associated with school. I would actually like to hear from individuals that have gone through this process of taking out additional loans to cover these expenses while in the program to get a better concept of the average expenses.

Everything is relative. In the state I'm currently at there is a state school at 10k/year (in-school rate). Offset this with high cost of living and it negates the low tuition rate. Plus the school gets 200 apps for 30 seats so the actual chance of an applicant getting accepted is very low. Not saying it couldn't happen but one would have to plan for the alternative. The other school in the state is around 20k /year (in-school rate). Add the fact you have to live in the heart of the city and you can imagine the cost of living will be another good chuck of cash. Add also the pass rate isn't all that stellar. Thus insert the out-of-state and private institutions where most people will be graduating from. The range is 70k-90k just for tuition alone. Add you undergrad debt along with the additional costs of not working and borrowing more money to cover the necessary expenses and you definitely have around 100k of debt if not a whole lot more. This isn't beer money.

Now obviously the goal is to minimize undergrad debt. If any pre-PT is reading this than take this concept seriously. Attend a community college where you have the lowest tuition and take as many transferable classes as possible, take all of your PT prereqs there, and get your BS from a cheap public college. If I would do it over again that would be exactly what I would have done. Unfortunately I thought Penn State was a good idea (not inexpensive). Once again my intention was to get a good education not drink away my tuition dollars. I worked while at school as a server and made decent cash. Of course I wanted to do well so I worked 15-20 hours a week. If I did more I felt my grades would suffer. They didn't and I graduated at the top of the class. I do not regret the knowledge that I learned but it does come with a price. Like you Motiondoc I had zero financial support from anyone. My mother can barely pay her own bills let alone mine. It was all on me to make it happen. It will be the same story for any additional education in the future.

I don't know where this rumor that you don't have time to work while in grad school comes from. Plenty of my peers have time to work 15-20hrs if they so choose...the majority of them choose not to.

I will PM you Lee soon.

I don't know where this rumor that you don't have time to work while in grad school comes from. Plenty of my peers have time to work 15-20hrs if they so choose...the majority of them choose not to.

I will PM you Lee soon.

Regarding post bacc entry level professional programs: Many PT majors work while in school...PA students do not....almost never. Most PA programs essentailly don't allow it...similar situation with medical students.

Regarding grad students: they work all the time.....mostly as TA's and GA's.

L.

I know plenty of med students that work while in med school...some with me (not GA or TA). It is not that Med Schools (not unlike PT Schools) don't allow it, they just discourage it. They lose a ton of money when students drop out, and they want to control all outside variables. Class schedules can also change on a whim, especially programs that encourage expert guest lecturers.

If you can manage your study time well, and find a flexible job, don't listen to the bogus "there is too much studying to work" crap. That mentality just fosters laziness. If you can't study for longer than an hour without getting up and taking a 30 minute rest break, then maybe its not a good idea to work while in school...

It looks like this thread is down my alley. I too, am torn between deciding on which career would be a better option, Physical therapy or Physician Assistant. Since both have the many positives that can be listed, and have here, I have found myself preoccupied with finding which of the professions are best for me, due to the career drawbacks that I may be able to tolerate.

First in regards to P.T., I have little desire to pursue acute, or inpatient therapy... I could do it, but not for long. And, it seems every mother and their brother wants to get into P.T. for outpatient Ortho- and work with Athletes. When in reality, through my observation hours, it seems a therapist only sees athletes from 2pm to 4pm. The jobs that are in need, are inpatient positions. And when I live in St. Louis, that has 4 schools within its diameter, those ortho jobs are limited due to the large amounts of practioners graduating from those schools. So, if I don't want to do inpatient, but love exercise and movement dysfunction, is that strong enough a reason to pursue pending my limitations.

With P.A., the idea that you will always be auxillary, is uncomforting. But some posts have brought to attention that both are truly dependent upon the physician. Second, P.A.'s are described as to work in under served areas, with the caveat of increased risk of infectious disease like HIV, Hep, and other pathogens that add to your day-job. I don't want to get a fatal accidental needle prick injury or inhale air-borne pathogens...And working second and third hospital shifts kinda sucks. Plus, with these darn surveys coming out, ranking P.A. highly as a career, its enticing a lot of very competitive individuals. This could translate to a lot of time invested in health care experience, only to compete with Pre-med 4.0 over there, that just helped write her molecular bio PHD instructor's recent journal article, but would rather have more time to spend with the Fam- in her career.

So, from the limited amount I have described, what do y'all think. Am I being presumptuous or irrational? Should I be concerned with the negatives in a career when making a decision. Are any of these descriptions justified? Any enlightenment or response -greatly appreciated;).

I would not dismiss PA just because you are afraid of getting sick. All health professionals take necessary precautions that make this risk rather negligible. As far as your second concern, just speaking from experience here, but PA was recommended to several of my acquaintances as an optional career because it was easier to get into than PT school, mostly because of the larger class sizes (not because of less standards).

However, I am confused about your train of though: you say you want to work in an ortho/sports setting and are not really considering other PT options because in essence they would limit your exposure to the setting you want to work in. So what do you do? You are considering PA which will limit your exposure to the setting you want to work in considerably more?

If you want to work in an ortho/sports setting and are concerned with competition...I would get over that concern quickly. Not only are ALL areas of PT experiencing a shortage of skilled therapists (maybe not in your area, but across the country, yes), but being afraid to get your hands dirty and separate yourself from the rest is, quite frankly, not a good reason to dismiss something.

It looks like this thread is down my alley. I too, am torn between deciding on which career would be a better option, Physical therapy or Physician Assistant. Since both have the many positives that can be listed, and have here, I have found myself preoccupied with finding which of the professions are best for me, due to the career drawbacks that I may be able to tolerate.

First in regards to P.T., I have little desire to pursue acute, or inpatient therapy... I could do it, but not for long. And, it seems every mother and their brother wants to get into P.T. for outpatient Ortho- and work with Athletes. When in reality, through my observation hours, it seems a therapist only sees athletes from 2pm to 4pm. The jobs that are in need, are inpatient positions. And when I live in St. Louis, that has 4 schools within its diameter, those ortho jobs are limited due to the large amounts of practioners graduating from those schools. So, if I don't want to do inpatient, but love exercise and movement dysfunction, is that strong enough a reason to pursue pending my limitations.

With P.A., the idea that you will always be auxillary, is uncomforting. But some posts have brought to attention that both are truly dependent upon the physician. Second, P.A.'s are described as to work in under served areas, with the caveat of increased risk of infectious disease like HIV, Hep, and other pathogens that add to your day-job. I don't want to get a fatal accidental needle prick injury or inhale air-borne pathogens...And working second and third hospital shifts kinda sucks. Plus, with these darn surveys coming out, ranking P.A. highly as a career, its enticing a lot of very competitive individuals. This could translate to a lot of time invested in health care experience, only to compete with Pre-med 4.0 over there, that just helped write her molecular bio PHD instructor's recent journal article, but would rather have more time to spend with the Fam- in her career.

So, from the limited amount I have described, what do y'all think. Am I being presumptuous or irrational? Should I be concerned with the negatives in a career when making a decision. Are any of these descriptions justified? Any enlightenment or response -greatly appreciated;).

Regarding the difficutly of getting into PA versus PT school. Overall, PA students are traditionally older moving into a second career. Generally speaking, getting into PA school as a new graduate can be very difficult unless they have the grades you mentioned....4.0...ect and health care experience.

PT school in my experience is less competitive. Motiondoc mentioned the number of applications....PA schools seem to have many more. 1-400 applications for 40 spots seems quite typical for PT school versus 400-1200 applications for 40-50 spots in PA school.

It comes down to what you want to do...medicine or exercise...

PT school in my experience is less competitive. Motiondoc mentioned the number of applications....PA schools seem to have many more. 1-400 applications for 40 spots seems quite typical for PT school versus 400-1200 applications for 40-50 spots in PA school.

It comes down to what you want to do...medicine or exercise...

Just curious, where do you get those numbers from?

"Acceptance to a PA program is competitive, with approximately 2.25 applicants for each PA program seat." - http://www.wright.edu/cosm/premed/pa.html

-that is a far cry from the 1200:50 ratio you mentioned.

Just curious, where do you get those numbers from?

"Acceptance to a PA program is competitive, with approximately 2.25 applicants for each PA program seat." - http://www.wright.edu/cosm/premed/pa.html

-that is a far cry from the 1200:50 ratio you mentioned.

check out schools in new england - I beileve UNE recieved approx 1200 apps for 50-ish spots....

Here is an analysis performed by somebody else comparing PA vs. Medical school.......You oversimplified the information, MotionDoc.

"There are 151 programs in the current list with an average of around 41 seats. The data is found here:
http://paeaonline.org/ht/a/GetDocumentAction/i/58730

I say around because of the way that the programs are listed. Saint Francis for example has two programs listed one with 55 seats and one with 60 seats. The sixty seats are for the undergraduate program. What the program does is take the survivors from the undergraduate program (25-30) and merge them with the people going directly into the Masters program so the actual number of seats is 55. There are a couple of programs counted this way so the actual average as of 12/08 was around 41. The range is 14-105 not counting the military school that takes in 3x80 person classes per year.

The issue for selectivity can be gamed (and is in most academic programs). In the last CASPA cycle there were 12,000 applicants for 4200 seats or around 2.9 applicants per seat. However these 12,000 applicants put in 71,000 applications or roughly 16 applications per seat. In reality 1/3 of the applicants that applied go in. From here:
http://www.paeaonline.org/ht/a/GetDo...Action/i/96023

For Med students there were 42,000 applicants for 17,800 slots or 2.3 applicants per slot. Those applicants put out 547,000 applications or 30 applications per slot. So the chance of a given application being successful was less but the chance of a given applicant was higher for medical school than PA school. From here:
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/charts1982to2007.pdf

Caveats to this data, the data for PAs is 2009 cycle, for MDs its 2008. Hard to say if things are different. Also the PA data is missing the almost 1/3 of the programs that do not use CASPA. Finally the data on members shows that there are differences between PA applicants and Medical school applicants. On the average the PA applicants will be 6 years older, more likely to be female and have a GPA around .3 less than the medical school applicants. The profile for DO applicants and PA applicants is very similar except for gender.

Bottom line is that you can't say that one or the other is tougher to get into. PA and medical schools look for different things in applicants. Many qualified medical students would be shut out of top PA schools due to lack of HCE. Many students at top PA schools wouldn't have competitive GPAs. Either way less than 1/2 of those that apply to either program get in which can't be said of a lot of other professions."

David Carpenter, PA-C

A PA can work in physical medicine and rehabilitation if they are interested in movement and the other types of things involved with physical therapy.

Rehabilitation physicians are nerve, muscle, and bone experts who treat injuries or illnesses that affect how you move. Rehabilitation physicians have completed training in the medical specialty physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R).

As a PA working in this field, you can do many of the things that a PT would do, but are also able to prescribe medications to treat associated pain.

If after a while you decide you like the neuro aspect, work in neurology. If you like treating pain, work in pain management. If you like the ortho aspect, work in orthopedic surgery. If you still like motion, stick with PM&R. The fact is that there are many more areas of practice and options available for PAs compared to PTs.

As a PA, you are not an independent provider, but after a couple years in a given field you can practice with a great deal of autonomy, and earn a nice salary (80-100k/year) in the specialty of your choice. No wonder it is consistently ranked as one of the top careers in the U.S.

check out schools in new england - I beileve UNE recieved approx 1200 apps for 50-ish spots....

Here is an analysis performed by somebody else comparing PA vs. Medical school.......You oversimplified the information, MotionDoc.

"There are 151 programs in the current list with an average of around 41 seats. The data is found here:
http://paeaonline.org/ht/a/GetDocumentAction/i/58730

I say around because of the way that the programs are listed. Saint Francis for example has two programs listed one with 55 seats and one with 60 seats. The sixty seats are for the undergraduate program. What the program does is take the survivors from the undergraduate program (25-30) and merge them with the people going directly into the Masters program so the actual number of seats is 55. There are a couple of programs counted this way so the actual average as of 12/08 was around 41. The range is 14-105 not counting the military school that takes in 3x80 person classes per year.

The issue for selectivity can be gamed (and is in most academic programs). In the last CASPA cycle there were 12,000 applicants for 4200 seats or around 2.9 applicants per seat. However these 12,000 applicants put in 71,000 applications or roughly 16 applications per seat. In reality 1/3 of the applicants that applied go in. From here:
http://www.paeaonline.org/ht/a/GetDo...Action/i/96023

For Med students there were 42,000 applicants for 17,800 slots or 2.3 applicants per slot. Those applicants put out 547,000 applications or 30 applications per slot. So the chance of a given application being successful was less but the chance of a given applicant was higher for medical school than PA school. From here:
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/charts1982to2007.pdf

Caveats to this data, the data for PAs is 2009 cycle, for MDs its 2008. Hard to say if things are different. Also the PA data is missing the almost 1/3 of the programs that do not use CASPA. Finally the data on members shows that there are differences between PA applicants and Medical school applicants. On the average the PA applicants will be 6 years older, more likely to be female and have a GPA around .3 less than the medical school applicants. The profile for DO applicants and PA applicants is very similar except for gender.

Bottom line is that you can't say that one or the other is tougher to get into. PA and medical schools look for different things in applicants. Many qualified medical students would be shut out of top PA schools due to lack of HCE. Many students at top PA schools wouldn't have competitive GPAs. Either way less than 1/2 of those that apply to either program get in which can't be said of a lot of other professions."

David Carpenter, PA-C

interesting, thank you.

...I feel this tangent was for naught. Simplification of an issue is sometimes necessary: PAs can work in the rehabilitative field, but they do not practice physical therapy. PTs can work in the infectious disease arena, but they do not practice medical "therapy" (i.e. surgery and prescription drugs). They are two distinct professions for a reason.

The argument that PAs also have a greater opportunity to work in different arenas is also flawed. 6 maybe signficantly more than 1, but is 100 really significantly more than 95? PTs and PAs have extreme flexibility in their respective professions, I was wrong with my original statement.

A PA can work in physical medicine and rehabilitation if they are interested in movement and the other types of things involved with physical therapy.

Rehabilitation physicians are nerve, muscle, and bone experts who treat injuries or illnesses that affect how you move. Rehabilitation physicians have completed training in the medical specialty physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R).

As a PA working in this field, you can do many of the things that a PT would do, but are also able to prescribe medications to treat associated pain.

If after a while you decide you like the neuro aspect, work in neurology. If you like treating pain, work in pain management. If you like the ortho aspect, work in orthopedic surgery. If you still like motion, stick with PM&R. The fact is that there are many more areas of practice and options available for PAs compared to PTs.

As a PA, you are not an independent provider, but after a couple years in a given field you can practice with a great deal of autonomy, and earn a nice salary (80-100k/year) in the specialty of your choice. No wonder it is consistently ranked as one of the top careers in the U.S.

for jokes, I would like to run the numbers for PT schools, but until the PTCAS system is universal, I feel that would be a nearly impossible feat.

motiondoc, why did u quote my post to make that last statement. what are you even referring to. are you actually in the professional phase of a PT program??

interesting, thank you.

...I feel this tangent was for naught. Simplification of an issue is sometimes necessary: PAs can work in the rehabilitative field, but they do not practice physical therapy. PTs can work in the infectious disease arena, but they do not practice medical "therapy" (i.e. surgery and prescription drugs). They are two distinct professions for a reason.

The argument that PAs also have a greater opportunity to work in different arenas is also flawed. 6 maybe signficantly more than 1, but is 100 really significantly more than 95? PTs and PAs have extreme flexibility in their respective professions, I was wrong with my original statement.

MotionDoc,
Is it accurate to say that you are a student?
Do you have any experience as a practitioner in healthcare?

I am a PT...although I am not a full-time practicing PT, I do have many years of practice and experience. I have learned many manual techniques (including McKenzie), as well as instruction of a number of osteopathy techniques (counterstrain, muscle energy, high velocity/low amplitude, Still, Lymphatic tehcniques....) from PMR physicians.

Technically you can't say that you perform physical therapy in most states unless you are a licensed physical therapist....but the techniques and treatments that PT's use aren't owned by PT's and many other practitioners perform the same treatments and simply call it PMR or athletic training or chiropractic or OT. A PT can't perform athletic training....but much of what each does is the same.

The fact is that a PT has a limited scope of practice defined by their practice act (they don't perform anything invasive) A PA also has a limited scope of practice defined by their supervising physician and in some instances a practice act (PA's can't perform surgery alone).

Dr14220 simply made the accurate point that a PA can work in nearly any medical specialty. I'll add that they work and treat complicated patient conditions, perform invasive procedures, order and interpret studies, diagnose common and complex pathologies, run codes, work as house staff at academic medical centers, precept other PA/MD/DO's during their training as medical students and residents, prescribe medications (including controled substances) and much more. They are unique in this perspective because no other medical provider can do this without going back to school or matching for a new residency....period!

I do have loyalty to the PT/AT professions and believe we perform a great service to patients when conservative or post surgical rehab is indicated.

Dr 14220, I meant to quote lawguil's post not yours. I apologize for the confusion.

Lawguil, yes I am currently a PT student, and yes I have significant years as a practitioner in healthcare and preventive medicine working in a number of environments with everyone from personal trainers to medical specialists. If you are implying I do not have the "real world" experience to accurately comment in this discussion, I assure you that thought is inaccurate.

I honestly do not understand what you are arguing at this point. You made it seem like individual had to be an incredibly better candidate to be accepted into PA school than PT school with this comment:

"Generally speaking, getting into PA school as a new graduate can be very difficult unless they have the grades you mentioned....4.0...ect and health care experience."

My response was merely to indicate that PT school applicants are not inferior to PA school applicants, rather just individuals who sought a profession in healthcare that specialized in the rehabilitation of movement dysfunction and not around treating cellular disease. Do you disagree with this statement?

Without being arrogant: I personally graduated with both the numbers and the experience that would have secured me a seat among the top medical schools in the country. PM me if you want the details. I was set on applying to MD/PhD programs to pursue a career in biomedical research, but for a number of professional reasons, I found my passion in rehabilitation and decided that PT/PhD just made much more sense for my interests than MD/PhD. Sans the research, my journey is not unique to me alone among the PT student ranks, and for you to belittle that with what seems like one-sided praise of PA over PT is insulting.

When, in my last post, I said "this tangent was for naught," I meant that we were comparing apples to oranges. You say that PTs don't own physical therapy techniques and that "place profession here" can do all that and more. I will not argue that point, but I will say that there is a reason why PT exists, and it is not because of redundancy, as it seems you are implying. Practice acts exist for a reason, and the primary guiding light that determines a profession's scope of practice is whether or not the entry level degree trains individuals in those skills. PTs and Chiros are trained in spinal manipulation, but if I had the choice of a skilled and honest Chiropractor that does hundreds of Grade V manips a week over a PT that does them once a week, who would be the "practitioner of choice." Apply that reasoning to all things motion and all things medical related, and maybe you see my point when I say: go PT for the rehab, go PA for the medical.

With that said, you said that "a PA can work in nearly any medical specialty. I'll add that they work and treat complicated patient conditions, perform invasive procedures, order and interpret studies, diagnose common and complex pathologies, run codes, work as house staff at academic medical centers, precept other PA/MD/DO's during their training as medical students and residents, prescribe medications (including controled substances) and much more. They are unique in this perspective because no other medical provider can do this without going back to school or matching for a new residency....period!"

Well no, PTs cannot do those specific things, but like I said earlier, people go into PT because they didn't want to do those things! PTs can work in a traditional Acute Care setting, or they can specialize working with just burn victims (where they are even in the OR for certain types of debridement) or just cancer patients or just HIV patients or just in cardiac rehab. They can work in general orthopedics, or specialize in hand or in spine or in orthotics and running injury/gait analysis and treatment. They can work in the neurologic setting specializing in rehabilitation of stroke, cerebral palsy, TBI, SCI, and other neurologic conditions. They can work in a general pediatrics setting or can focus on children with developmental delays, or with acquired/congenital neuromsucular and musculoskeletal disorders. They can work in geriatrics focusing on restoring mobility and reducing pain due to age related arthritis, osteoporosis, neurologic conditions, balance disorders, incontinence and more. They can work in academia/industry focusing on biomedical research that is rehabilitative in nature, teaching, administration, or a combination of the three. They can be business entrepreneurs who own their own practices and employ PTs, Physicians, PAs alike. They can be consultants in areas of sports and ergonomics. They can, they can, they can...

My last response prior to this one was simply to argue this point: Is the professional spectrum that Physical Therapy spans that much more limited than that of PAs? NO, it is just different. Wouldn't you also agree with this statement?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think either of us disagrees with the other, rather just presenting both sides of the story in its entirety.

Dr 14220, I meant to quote lawguil's post not yours. I apologize for the confusion.

Lawguil, yes I am currently a PT student, and yes I have significant years as a practitioner in healthcare and preventive medicine working in a number of environments with everyone from personal trainers to medical specialists. If you are implying I do not have the "real world" experience to accurately comment in this discussion, I assure you that thought is inaccurate.

I honestly do not understand what you are arguing at this point. You made it seem like individual had to be an incredibly better candidate to be accepted into PA school than PT school with this comment:

"Generally speaking, getting into PA school as a new graduate can be very difficult unless they have the grades you mentioned....4.0...ect and health care experience."
Most PA student requires significant (paid) healthcare experience. The difference isn't in stats, but life. PA schools typically require both. Some would argue that the qualifications for each are different....meaning a new graduate would have to be exceptional and may be better suited to MD school than PA school. So yes, you would typically expect a higher GPA for new graduates going into PA than PT[/COLOR]

My response was merely to indicate that PT school applicants are not inferior to PA school applicants, rather just individuals who sought a profession in healthcare that specialized in the rehabilitation of movement dysfunction and not around treating cellular disease. Do you disagree with this statement?

I don't believe inferior is the word I would use. The applicants are different.

Without being arrogant: I personally graduated with both the numbers and the experience that would have secured me a seat among the top medical schools in the country. PM me if you want the details. I was set on applying to MD/PhD programs to pursue a career in biomedical research, but for a number of professional reasons, I found my passion in rehabilitation and decided that PT/PhD just made much more sense for my interests than MD/PhD. Sans the research, my journey is not unique to me alone among the PT student ranks, and for you to belittle that with what seems like one-sided praise of PA over PT is insulting.

The "praise" that I offer to the PA profession are as follows: advantage PA - latitude professionally, more competitive admissions process, academic rigor, tuition and opportunity for loan repayment in exchange for service, income, respect among medical peers, autonomy, and opportunity for less physical work,

When, in my last post, I said "this tangent was for naught," I meant that we were comparing apples to oranges. You say that PTs don't own physical therapy techniques and that "place profession here" can do all that and more. I will not argue that point, but I will say that there is a reason why PT exists, and it is not because of redundancy, as it seems you are implying. Practice acts exist for a reason, and the primary guiding light that determines a profession's scope of practice is whether or not the entry level degree trains individuals in those skills. PTs and Chiros are trained in spinal manipulation, but if I had the choice of a skilled and honest Chiropractor that does hundreds of Grade V manips a week over a PT that does them once a week, who would be the "practitioner of choice." Apply that reasoning to all things motion and all things medical related, and maybe you see my point when I say: go PT for the rehab, go PA for the medical.

agree. I think I alluded to this myself in my last post.

With that said, you said that "a PA can work in nearly any medical specialty. I'll add that they work and treat complicated patient conditions, perform invasive procedures, order and interpret studies, diagnose common and complex pathologies, run codes, work as house staff at academic medical centers, precept other PA/MD/DO's during their training as medical students and residents, prescribe medications (including controlled substances) and much more. They are unique in this perspective because no other medical provider can do this without going back to school or matching for a new residency....period!"

Well no, PTs cannot do those specific things, but like I said earlier, people go into PT because they didn't want to do those things! PTs can work in a traditional Acute Care setting, or they can specialize working with just burn victims (where they are even in the OR for certain types of debridement) or just cancer patients or just HIV patients or just in cardiac rehab. They can work in general orthopedics, or specialize in hand or in spine or in orthotics and running injury/gait analysis and treatment. They can work in the neurologic setting specializing in rehabilitation of stroke, cerebral palsy, TBI, SCI, and other neurologic conditions. They can work in a general pediatrics setting or can focus on children with developmental delays, or with acquired/congenital neuromsucular and musculoskeletal disorders. They can work in geriatrics focusing on restoring mobility and reducing pain due to age related arthritis, osteoporosis, neurologic conditions, balance disorders, incontinence and more. They can work in academia/industry focusing on biomedical research that is rehabilitative in nature, teaching, administration, or a combination of the three. They can be business entrepreneurs who own their own practices and employ PTs, Physicians, PAs alike. They can be consultants in areas of sports and ergonomics. They can, they can, they can...

My last response prior to this one was simply to argue this point: Is the professional spectrum that Physical Therapy spans that much more limited than that of PAs? NO, it is just different. Wouldn't you also agree with this statement? Once you spend a little time in practice, you will learn that much of the latitude you believe to exist in PT is one of the same. You only really described two different settings for the clinical PT above...rehab and wound care. Are you really under the impression that geriatric mobility, arthritis, orthopedics....ect is a specialty practice for PT's?.....yes there is additional training you can receive in wound care and the like....but your average PT treats most of the above that you mention without additional training. You can easily point out similar differences among family practice physicians...but the nuts and bolts b/t family doctors is the same....I'm not convinced you really understand or appreciate how and why a PA can work in such drastically different specialties.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think either of us disagrees with the other, rather just presenting both sides of the story in its entirety.

Agree. Our SND conversation evolved into a conversation yesterday among some fellow PT's that I work with at a "pre-semester" department meeting. There was approximately 40 years of PT experience in the room. We all felt on some level that we had "outgrown" the PT profession with the exception of one woman. Spend a little time in the PT world...and you are going to hear the same things over and over again...the PT mantra can get very old. They indeed are the best trained in the physical medicine and rehabilitation field....but with experience and all the little weekend certifications that you can obtain, you soon learn the limitations of the field.....As I've said before though, I'm only one person...opinionated and ripe for change.

MotionDoc, it's obvious that you will be successful in your career as a PT. Your devotion and passion for the profession are obvious...and your patients will appreciate the benefits. I've never been content as a PT, but I certainly hope you are able to sustain your satisfaction as a therapist. Regards , L.

Last edited:

With that said, you said that "a PA can work in nearly any medical specialty. I'll add that they work and treat complicated patient conditions, perform invasive procedures, order and interpret studies, diagnose common and complex pathologies, run codes, work as house staff at academic medical centers, precept other PA/MD/DO's during their training as medical students and residents, prescribe medications (including controled substances) and much more. They are unique in this perspective because no other medical provider can do this without going back to school or matching for a new residency....period!"

My last response prior to this one was simply to argue this point: Is the professional spectrum that Physical Therapy spans that much more limited than that of PAs? NO, it is just different. Wouldn't you also agree with this statement?

great response. they are very different professions. there are reasons why one chooses to follow a certain path. PT is my choice, passion and i believe no other career would give as much satisfaction.:)

I am as well interested in PT/PA/MD/DO. It's a very tough decision, especially with the idea that everyone is blind to what is to come in the upcoming years. Not a comfortable thing at all.

I had typed out a rather large reply but unfortunately my computer crashed, so instead I will shorten it a good amount.

Would you (whoever replies) still choose the PA profession if the amount of flexibility was strongly diminished? It is not as flexible as many make it out to be right now (such as in this thread), and only looks to become less so in the future. To quote EMEDPA (if you are interested in PA it is definitely worth the time to read some of the advice EMEDPA has passed around), "chances are within A DECADE we will be forced into a single specialty anyway via hospital credentialing and nccpa specialty cert exam requirements...not to mention the joint comission.....so anyone who graduates from pa school will be able to do primary care but to do any specialty will require a residency or the acquisition of a large # of added certs or classes." For me, the flexability is a huge boon to the career. I'm not so sure I could choose this profession over becoming a physcian if this was lost.

Also, I think you are slightly misguided on this quote. "Generally speaking, getting into PA school as a new graduate can be very difficult unless they have the grades you mentioned....4.0...ect and health care experience." Yes, that is the ideal candidate but a far cry from what is admitted. I'm sure you've been around the pre-PA forums, I was last there a couple months ago but can't imagine this has changed too much. The feeling there is that there is much less emphasis being placed on HCE and much more on grades. For a new graduate, it is fairly easy to add a couple hundred hours of HCE, which also isn't necessary. It is much harder for someone with a good amount of HCE to polish their grades. It is becoming easier and easier for new graduates to gain acceptance over 2nd career applicants. I cannot say whether this is true or not, just what I have seen expressed there repeatedly.

Many PT applicants are realistically a few months away from having a decent shot at gaining admittance to PA schools. Of course some schools have certain HCE to meet, but many do not.

Last edited:
I'd still consider it. My interest would lie more in primary care though. I wouldn't think a required residency would be necessarily a bad thing for PAs switching specialties as long as the time required wasn't excessive. That's interesting that they are thinking of doing this. I wonder what the reasoning is. EMEDPA does know his stuff though so I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing this happen in the near future.

Both PA and PT are good fields to get into. the question is..do u want to provide therapy after a diagnosis has already been established; or do u want to practice medicine (ie take history and perform physical exams, order and interpret lab tests, make medical diagnoses, and prescribe meds) in an autonomous though dependent manner.

If you have ever been in an outpatient ortho clinic you would know that most of time the diagnosis sent by the physician is crap (sorry but thats the best description I could think of) and often very vague. As far as taking history and performing physical exams, we do that better than any PA and most of physicians. I lost count of how many times a pt said that their physician barely even examined them. And as far as PTs not being able to prescribe meds, thats great! Thats the essence of our profession! We treat our pts one-on-one instead of shoveling pills down their throat. And in my opinion, this drug-dependency is one of the main causes for americans' poor health in general.

I am as well interested in PT/PA/MD/DO. It's a very tough decision, especially with the idea that everyone is blind to what is to come in the upcoming years. Not a comfortable thing at all.

I had typed out a rather large reply but unfortunately my computer crashed, so instead I will shorten it a good amount.

Would you (whoever replies) still choose the PA profession if the amount of flexibility was strongly diminished? It is not as flexible as many make it out to be right now (such as in this thread), and only looks to become less so in the future. To quote EMEDPA (if you are interested in PA it is definitely worth the time to read some of the advice EMEDPA has passed around), "chances are within A DECADE we will be forced into a single specialty anyway via hospital credentialing and nccpa specialty cert exam requirements...not to mention the joint comission.....so anyone who graduates from pa school will be able to do primary care but to do any specialty will require a residency or the acquisition of a large # of added certs or classes." For me, the flexability is a huge boon to the career. I'm not so sure I could choose this profession over becoming a physcian if this was lost.

EMEDPA is certainly a fantastic resource for PA's and the profession. However, I do believe the idea that specialty requirements is overstated. Surely there will be more residency training available, but I don't see it being required....The flexibility of the PA is one of the core values of the profession.

Also, I think you are slightly misguided on this quote. "Generally speaking, getting into PA school as a new graduate can be very difficult unless they have the grades you mentioned....4.0...ect and health care experience." Yes, that is the ideal candidate but a far cry from what is admitted. I'm sure you've been around the pre-PA forums, I was last there a couple months ago but can't imagine this has changed too much. The feeling there is that there is much less emphasis being placed on HCE and much more on grades. For a new graduate, it is fairly easy to add a couple hundred hours of HCE, which also isn't necessary. It is much harder for someone with a good amount of HCE to polish their grades. It is becoming easier and easier for new graduates to gain acceptance over 2nd career applicants. I cannot say whether this is true or not, just what I have seen expressed there repeatedly.

True, their are some programs that are accepting more and more recent graduates with stellar GPA's. However, I believe much of this is due to the overwhelming demand for PA's in the market and the future projections of provider shortages....Lots of new PA schools recently....It's a growing field.

Many PT applicants are realistically a few months away from having a decent shot at gaining admittance to PA schools. Of course some schools have certain HCE to meet, but many do not.

Prerequisites are slightly different for most PA programs versus PT programs

Definatly check out the physicianassistantforums.com for more authoritive feedback regarding the PA profession.

L.

"Surely there will be more residency training available, but I don't see it being required....The flexibility of the PA is one of the core values of the profession."

I agree it is one of the core values and hope it is not lost in the future. But the fact remains that jobs are already heading that route. While many jobs are and have always wanted a PA with a certain amount of experience in a certain field, it was not required. Slight requirements are coming into the picture, which could turn into rather large requirements in the future. I would say slight requirements could even be a good thing, but if the requirements increase then flexability becomes a lot more rigid.

But then again I am not a practicing PA and have no idea what the job market is. I'm just passing along ideas. Gotta hope that the profession will keep on top things in that respect.

And you are right the prereqs are slightly different. But not that different that a large portion has not taken them. Remember a lot of biology majors go the PT route. For the ones that aren't, well most pre-PA that weren't science majors can't apply to all the schools either, but they can apply to some. I for one am taking a year off and while I don't know exactly what route I am heading, need to finish up some PA prereqs but was planning to take them regardless just to make myself a stronger applicant.

Also about the NHSC thing. I haven't seen many PA's talk about this. Do you know if PA's are accepted for this often? I did not realize this existed for PA's and it is certainly a very nice potential advantage for the students. The APTA really needs to get more help for the future students.

"Surely there will be more residency training available, but I don't see it being required....The flexibility of the PA is one of the core values of the profession."

I agree it is one of the core values and hope it is not lost in the future. But the fact remains that jobs are already heading that route. While many jobs are and have always wanted a PA with a certain amount of experience in a certain field, it was not required. Slight requirements are coming into the picture, which could turn into rather large requirements in the future. I would say slight requirements could even be a good thing, but if the requirements increase then flexability becomes a lot more rigid.

But then again I am not a practicing PA and have no idea what the job market is. I'm just passing along ideas. Gotta hope that the profession will keep on top things in that respect.

And you are right the prereqs are slightly different. But not that different that a large portion has not taken them. Remember a lot of biology majors go the PT route. For the ones that aren't, well most pre-PA that weren't science majors can't apply to all the schools either, but they can apply to some. I for one am taking a year off and while I don't know exactly what route I am heading, need to finish up some PA prereqs but was planning to take them regardless just to make myself a stronger applicant.

Also about the NHSC thing. I haven't seen many PA's talk about this. Do you know if PA's are accepted for this often? I did not realize this existed for PA's and it is certainly a very nice potential advantage for the students. The APTA really needs to get more help for the future students.

Regarding NHSC, it's extermely common in underserved communities (rural and urban). My understanding is If you're willing to work in an underserved area, there is a spot available. Granted, many PA's sometimes prefer a higher paying specialty practice or to live in a community of thier choice. Generally, there are more spots for healthcare providers than they can fill. This is generally the case for the PA profession.....and they expect more opportunities.

Just a quick story: I recently met a PA at the office I go to as a patient. I didn't know her and thought she was new to the practice. Her husband has a job in which he has to travel throughout different parts of the country. She said she basically leaves a practice one day and can have a job within a few days to a week at her new destination. She said most of the time she just goes to a local hospital and asks managment if their are any opportunities....the management take her resume and put it out to the MD/DO's....and she usually gets a phone call. I generally feel I could do this as a PT as well in a lot of areas....so who knows....for some reason I was impressed with the story.

I wonder what the likelihood of PTs being added to the NHSC list actually is. People have strokes in undeserved areas as well. I guarantee they would be filling needed positions.