Physical Therapy Unusual Circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WTT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am wanting to get into Physical Therapy School. Graduated with 2.8 in business didn't really like it. Made a decision right after to do a post bac to get my pre reqs. Ending up dropping A&P and calc and took an F in chem and bio. I was getting sick all the time and my body was breaking down, felt like I was an 80 year old man. After I dropped I took a job and shortly after I was diagnosed with Lupus. That was 3 years ago and after a long road I am now feeling better. If I went back to school would I even have a shot at getting into a PT school? Assuming I went back to get all pre reqs.

Your thoughts please!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most programs have a minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA to apply to the program, so it would absolutely have to go up to that level by the time you apply or else places will just toss your app out even before academic update periods. You would have to retake your failing grades and take the pre-reqs to get as close to all A's and B's as possible - no C's to be really competitive in this pool. Study and be competitive for the GRE, get a variety of observation hours and write a really damn good essay and your cumulative GPA shouldn't bring you down too much. If you don't think you can do all the pre-reqs post-bacc with outstanding grades it might be time to move to plan B.

I think it's possible. But it's going to take time for you to finish all of the prerequesities and you have to do well in those courses. I mean, an A for most, if not all, of them is your best chance. Most schools focus more on your prerequestite GPA over your overall GPA. Some schools don't even consider overall, like University of St Augustine, for example they just look at the pre req GPA (pGPA) and the last 45 credit GPA. So if you take your time to do EXTREMELY well in you prereqs, and you volunteer time, do well on the GRE, which is very possible based upon your study time, then I think you have a good chance. You have to really want it. I really hope the best for you. That is a tough situation and I hope you are able to still follow through with your career goals.

Reactions: 1 user