Physical Therapy volunteers opportunities while working full time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thesun1127

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently contemplating switching careers into physical therapy and realized I need the hands on, real world experience to inform my decision. The hard part has been finding those opportunities in New York City. I've contacted/applied to a couple hospitals and clinics and am waiting for responses. It seems like most people already have left their full time job and then started volunteering, but wondering if you can do it the other way around.

What has everyone else's strategy been?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently contemplating switching careers into physical therapy and realized I need the hands on, real world experience to inform my decision. The hard part has been finding those opportunities in New York City. I've contacted/applied to a couple hospitals and clinics and am waiting for responses. It seems like most people already have left their full time job and then started volunteering, but wondering if you can do it the other way around.

What has everyone else's strategy been?

Thanks so much!
I was not in New York but what I did enter the hospital as a "volunteer", since hospitals typically like volunteers and will answer those calls or applications. Then once I got in I asked to assist the PM&R section of the hospital and asked a PT if I could "volunteer". They then let me shadow PT's. If all else fails like it did for me you can try this for inpatient acute hours.

I found that nursing homes were easier to get into than hospitals, and they offer therapy on the weekend, so if you're working a 9-5 M-F job, this might be something to look into.

Reactions: 1 user
It's tough if you have a daytime 9-5. Have you tried Bellevue? I'm currently volunteering there. Their inpatient clinic is open on Saturdays. It's usually slow, but it's still hours.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile