Physical Therapy vs. Physician's Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

npatell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a senior, undergrad major of Health Science Studies. Most likely I will graduate with a GPA around 3.4-3.5 with my science being around a 3.0-3.1. I have around 300 hours of shadowing in outpatient rehabilitation, did an internship with a hospital where I helped develop a web program and I am involved in about 7 student organizations, holding leadership positions for 5 of them.
My question is, although I have will have a 3.4 or so by the time I graduate, I do have at least 4-5 C's on my transcript. Also, if I decide to pursue PA instead of PT, I will have to take organic chemistry I and I was planning to do this online post graduation, seeing as I do not have the time to take it while I am concurrently enrolled in 18 hours.
My GRE scores are also average at 147 and 148 with a 4.5 in writing.
Another addition, I also plan to take a year off and work as a medical scribe if I choose to pursue PA or a physical therapy technician if I decide to do PT.
I am more interested in PA, however I am not sure I necessarily have the grades for the competitive pool out there.
Does anyone have some words of wisdom or suggest any schools to look into that may not place high emphasis only on a student's GPA?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

A FEW THINGS:
It is Physician assistant, not Physician'S assistant.
many schools do not require ochem and those that do want the lab.
you need MUCH more health care experience to be competitive for a good pa program. most want at a min 1000 hrs of paid hce which requires a certification like emt, cna,etc . the way most schools count experience you have zero hrs of hce and 300 hrs of shadowing.