Physician Assistant: Career Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryze

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the Physician Assistant career path (versus MD/DO)?

• Pros vs cons?
  • Is it well-respected?
  • What is your reason for choosing either MD/DO or PA?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you guys think of the Physician Assistant career path (versus MD/DO)?

• Pros vs cons?
  • Is it well-respected?
well, i am not a PA, but people were trying to convince me to go to PA school because i am older. So the argument they were using was that the PA school is only 3 years, and then you make money, vs MD school is 4 years plus residency.
Obviously, earning potential is much higher in MD/DO career than PA, but it takes longer to get there.
Another reason for me is that i wanted to have more independency and freedom, - for example, do research on my own, etc. As a PA, even though you are a strong, well educated provider, you still practice under someone, and there are certain career choices you cannot make. For example, if i became a surgeon, i wanted to be a person holding that scalpel, not the person assisting, you know? BUt i am very hardheaded, and independent minded (just ask my mom hahhaa). So a certain part of that is also a personality trait. (would you be comfortable to NOT be in charge?)

I think the best way for you to know that is to go and shadow some PAs in different settings and MDs. If anything it would only strengthen your application to both schools, - clinical hours or shadowing will still count towards application, and it would make it look like you made a more educated decision.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Pros vs cons?
    • MD Pros: You become a physician so you're always going to be leading the medical team. MD also opens doors into things like private practice, hospital administration, and advanced specialties/fellowships that you'll never see as a PA/NP. Also significant higher pay on average and a much higher pay ceiling.
    • MD Cons: Endless school (minimum 4 yr med + 4 yr residency (longer if you're in surgery), even longer if you wanna do a fellowship. Malpractice sucks, debt sucks. Most likely work 50 hour work weeks minimum.
    • PA Pros: Short schooling, some states allow independent practice, you can usually have all the same responsibilities as a general practitioner. More reasonable hours (~40), reasonable pay right after graduating
    • PA Cons: You'll most likely never be the 'boss' in whatever you do, less money than MD and much lower ceiling
  • Is it well-respected?
    • Depends on who you ask. Some people will respect MD more than PA, some people don't know the difference.
    • PA was never a consideration for me and isn't for most people who want to be a physician. I applied MD because I wanted to be a physician, not a PA.
Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 3 users
Most of it involves your own decisions and personality. My son is a DO and future daughter in law is a PA for about 5 yrs now. She is very smart, and I have told her I would like her to be one of my med students. She has laughed and brushed me off several times. She enjoys what she does and her role. BTW, she is a PA on the trauma service at a Level 1 trauma center. Becoming a PA is cheaper, and you can defer a lot of the BS to the attending that you are unable to deal with. Placement, getting consults or co management from other services, etc. It's a very personal choice.