Physician Assistant Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sphouxay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, alright im new to this but I hope some of you can shine some light for me. I know this is not in the right category as I am trying for PA, but I would like to know what my chances are. A little bit about myself, I am currently attending a community college and have acquired over 100 semester hours. I have taken all the required prerequisites (listed below). I have not done any volunteering work, but am intending to work in a hospice environment and also certify myself as a certified nursing assistant. I intend to get a bachelors degree in either chemistry, biology,mathematics, or psychology. I do plan on taking the MCAT although it is not required for the PA program. I would be greatly appreciated if anyone can give me some feedback and what I can do to improve my chances in the PA program. The PA program I am looking into is the University of Utah but am not limiting myself to that one school. That is why I am intending on taking the MCAT as well. Thanks for any help. Here it goes:
Gen Chem: A (Repeated)
Gen Chem lab: C
Gen Chem II: A- (have not taken the lab portion)
Org Chem: A (have not taken the lab portion)
Org Chem II:C- (have not taken the lab portion)
Gen Biology:B (with the lab portion taken concurrently) (Repeated)
Microbiology: B (with the lab portion taken concurrently)
Hum Physiology: C+ (with the lab portion taken concurrently)
Hum Anatomy: D (with the lab portion taken concurrently)
Calculus: B-
Gen Psychology: A
Microeconomics: B
Macroeconomics: B
Overall GPA: 2.77 :( :( :( :( :( :(

Members don't see this ad.

volunteer, shadow PAs.. get an entry level job perhaps as a CNA or EMT or emergency room tech.
Oh yeah.. I'd retake your A&P and get an A in those classes.... it will be difficult to progress if you don't have a firm grasp on the material and it won't look great to the adcom with a D and a C.

I'm dedicating several years to getting the proper patient care experiences (prior to applying to PA) that I think will benefit me and my patients in the long run.

You will have to retake organic chemistry II and anatomy because a prerequisite has to be a C or higher. I would recommend retaking physiology and the gen chem lab as well.

I'd also look into taking microbiology and genetics. Make sure you get As. Any other upper division science classes you can ace. It will help you make your case of an upward trend... that your poor performance in lower level classes was due to a reason beyond your inability to handle them.

Work as a CNA for a year or two while taking more coursework, then apply.

Try www.physicianassistantforum.com for more info.