Physician Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been interested in the PA program, however it requires 500 hours of "direct healthcare experience". I have the necessary pre-requisites finished for it. But, does working in a pharmacy qualify as "direct healthcare experience", or do they want you to work in a doctor's office.

Whenever I go to the hospital to ask, all positions seem to be unpaid, and are the type of positions where you basically just clean up after the patients, instead of observing surgeries, shadowing other PAs, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is very difficult to get "direct healthcare experience" before actually being a healthcare provider. For PA programs, I just assume that most programs want you to be a CNA, LPN, RN, EMT, etc before applying. I do not think pharmacy experience will count as "direct healthcare" IMO. Maybe PA students will be able to help with this question.

Members don't see this ad :)
humm... you can become a patient care technician (commonly known as a nursing assistant) quite easily especially in nursing home or in psych ward.. That's very direct.. but I don't know if you will like it. well .. being EMT is also cool.

Anyway..humm.. You can go to short-term school to learn how to do EKG rhythm or ultrasound ... Those might be cool, too.

The best thing is to apply to a school that doesn't require experience or accept volunteer experience. Or just go to medical school. :)

I think retail pharmacy can be considered direct patient care because you are actually often at the counter talking to patients/customers. The best way to know is to call the school and ask them if it's ok.

I've been interested in the PA program, however it requires 500 hours of "direct healthcare experience". I have the necessary pre-requisites finished for it. But, does working in a pharmacy qualify as "direct healthcare experience", or do they want you to work in a doctor's office.

Whenever I go to the hospital to ask, all positions seem to be unpaid, and are the type of positions where you basically just clean up after the patients, instead of observing surgeries, shadowing other PAs, etc.

Why would pharmacy people know about a PA program? Get off your butt and find out yourself.

Well, there is no PA forum on this website. Second, if you're in pharmacy would you consider pharmacy to be direct.

What I see as a benefit of being a PA over becoming an MD is that MD takes a hell of a lot longer. PA programs generally require 2 years of prerequisites and 2 years of professional school. PA's usually don't need to worry about malpractice as much as MD's as well.

PA programs generally require 2 years of prerequisites and 2 years of professional school. PA's usually don't need to worry about malpractice as much as MD's as well.
But you will earn less than MD and doing pretty much what MD do. In hospital setting, they can do lots of interesting stuffs.
I saw how hard they work. I want an MD salary for that kind of work!!
I don't know this's just my opinion. I think I think you can post this in MD forum.. it's more related there and you may get more response.

Sorry guy, look harder. PAs are (unfortunately) lumped under "Clinicians Forum" with NPs and nurses but we are represented there. Also check out the PA forum at www.physicianassistant.net
As for your question, pharmacy experience is not direct patient care experience. It will count as experience of some variety, particularly that you can deal with people and have some medical knowledge (and pharmaceutical knowledge is very helpful in learning medicine). Without direct patient care experience, though, you will be at a disadvantage compared to all the nurses, medics, athletic trainers etc. who are also vying for a spot.
Good luck.
Lisa PA-C

Well, there is no PA forum on this website. Second, if you're in pharmacy would you consider pharmacy to be direct.

What I see as a benefit of being a PA over becoming an MD is that MD takes a hell of a lot longer. PA programs generally require 2 years of prerequisites and 2 years of professional school. PA's usually don't need to worry about malpractice as much as MD's as well.

But you will earn less than MD and doing pretty much what MD do. In hospital setting, they can do lots of interesting stuffs.
I saw how hard they work. I want an MD salary for that kind of work!!
I don't know this's just my opinion. I think I think you can post this in MD forum.. it's more related there and you may get more response.

True, but then again, MDs aren't making money until they are in their 30s. I would not want to work in a doctor's office, as opposed to a hospital.

True, but then again, MDs aren't making money until they are in their 30s. I would not want to work in a doctor's office, as opposed to a hospital.

30s is not too old though, at least from my perspective... You might look hot when you reach thirty.. Age is relative.. I will be 30 in the next two year.. You must be in the 20s .. How do you think about spending your 20s marrying to medicine?:)

I'm 20, turning 21 next month. Is it possible to be married and have kids while being a medical resident making $30K/year and working 16 hours a day? Yes, but it would suck.
Being married (preferably another med student) would be a good thing so you would have companion through your journey in med school and you don't have get distracted by partying to find bf/gf..

You could delay having kids until you get settled in your 30s!!! :)