Feb 27, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
I have been trying to hire an anesthesiologist to work with me at my small community hospital which is part of a larger chain. The anesthesiogist has been asked to provide an "ongoing physician performance evaluation," which has been explained to me to be a log of cases performed, anesthetic method, central lines, Swan-Ganz, pediatic cases, c-secs, etc. Further this anesthesiologist has been told that an evaluation by another anesthesiologist that he has worked with recently is not acceptable.

I was a bit suprised that an actively practicing anesthesiologist who has been in regular practice for years would be asked to provide a case log. I have not kept a case log since being a resident.

Are other anesthesiologists suprised by this request? Is it possible that the credentialing office is simply putting up road blocks because they have a concern about some aspect of this anesthesiologists record? He has told me that he does have a single settlement of a malpractice suit years ago, and was told by the credentialing office that this would not be an issue.

Planktonmd

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
The South
Status
Attending Physician
This is absolutely ridiculous!
Do they ask internists how many patients they treated and what medications they used each time as well?

I have been trying to hire an anesthesiologist to work with me at my small community hospital which is part of a larger chain. The anesthesiogist has been asked to provide an "ongoing physician performance evaluation," which has been explained to me to be a log of cases performed, anesthetic method, central lines, Swan-Ganz, pediatic cases, c-secs, etc. Further this anesthesiologist has been told that an evaluation by another anesthesiologist that he has worked with recently is not acceptable.

I was a bit suprised that an actively practicing anesthesiologist who has been in regular practice for years would be asked to provide a case log. I have not kept a case log since being a resident.

Are other anesthesiologists suprised by this request? Is it possible that the credentialing office is simply putting up road blocks because they have a concern about some aspect of this anesthesiologists record? He has told me that he does have a single settlement of a malpractice suit years ago, and was told by the credentialing office that this would not be an issue.

jwk

CAA, ASA-PAC Contributor
10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2004
Atlanta, GA
One of the hospitals I do locums at asks for a generic case listing every two years for re-credentialling. (My main hospital does not do this). No specific info - just 87 lap choles, 14 tonsillectomies, 48 C-sections, etc. Depending on who does your billing, this info may be readily available for the asking - they just have to query the database for a specific time period and out comes the info you need.

cchoukal

15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2001
SF, CA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I'm a ccm fellow and my section chief, who is involved administratively in the hospital and medical center, talks a lot about how credentialing is moving away from referance-based to competency-based criteria. it sounds like more and more we'll be asked to describe what we've done AND how it went as proof that we deserve to be credentialed. in the ICU world, that might include things like # of VAPs or line infections, or maybe we won't get priveleged to do bronchs if we only did 5 last year. In the or, I could imagine swans or tee's being similar.

rsgillmd

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
Status
Attending Physician

That does sound ridiculous, and even more so if the anesthesiologist is coming from a supervisory environment. I don't keep a case log anymore, and certainly don't keep track of when I have bailed out a CRNA or done something myself just to get a case started faster.

IN2B8R

10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2005
Status
Attending Physician

Not a practical idea for PP anesthesiology.

urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
in the ICU world, that might include things like # of VAPs or line infections, or maybe we won't get priveleged to do bronchs if we only did 5 last year. In the or, I could imagine swans or tee's being similar.
Wouldn't that incentivise doing things like swanz just to keep your numbers when otherwise you wouldn't have done it?