Physician father and personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctordaman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if I should address the fact that my father is a physician in my personal statement. I have always viewed the fact that he, his sister, and my grandfather are all physicians as something that would hurt me because admissions might get the impression, "he's being pressured into becoming a doctor because it is a family trend."

I mean, I guess being around it all my life has gotten me a lot of exposure to the field, but it's not a major reason for my choosing this path. Does this warrent being included in my ps to defend myself from assumptions, or should I ignore it since I don't see it as a big deal?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if I should address the fact that my father is a physician in my personal statement. I have always viewed the fact that he, his sister, and my grandfather are all physicians as something that would hurt me because admissions might get the impression, "he's being pressured into becoming a doctor because it is a family trend."

I mean, I guess being around it all my life has gotten me a lot of exposure to the field, but it's not a major reason for my choosing this path. Does this warrent being included in my ps to defend myself from assumptions, or should I ignore it since I don't see it as a big deal?

If it was a major factor mention it. I mean, you can always add that you weren't pressured, but simply had unique opportunities to fall in love with the field. I discussed my parent's roll many times. Dad's a doc, moms a nurse.

I would mention. I dont ser how that couldn't have affected ure decision at least slightly. Just make sure u mention plenty of other deciding factors as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it played a legit role then go ahead and mention it but don't go overboard with it. You don't want to sound like "well I'm going to be a Dr because my family wants me to be" or like you're bragging and trying to use it to get accepted

My mom is a nurse and I mentioned how because of her I didn't think I'd like medicine at first.

When you are writing your personal statement make certain that you write "you" rather than "u" and "are" rather than "r." In fact, spell correctly all of the words that appear in your personal statement.

When you are writing your personal statement make certain that you write "you" rather than "u" and "are" rather than "r." In fact, spell correctly all of the words that appear in your personal statement.

I think that every time I read posts about personal statements. Glad I'm not the only one.

I think that every time I read posts about personal statements. Glad I'm not the only one.

Can't wait to read this generation's progress notes!! Medicine is full of acroynms already and notes can look a little bit like alphabet soup; adding SMS-speak on top of it would be almost unintelligible.

OP: Put it in, leave it out, it doesn't really matter. You won't be accepted or rejected because of your parents' profession. Tell your story and include things that demonstrate your understanding of medicine, your passion for service, and how you've come to the realization that this is what you want to do with your life.

Don't force it into your PS if it doesn't fit with the story you are telling, but don't leave it out if it adds depth to what you are trying to convey.

I don't think I'll include it as there are a lot of other things that caused me to choose this route. Thanks for the help, everyone.

When you're applying to the medical school he went to, absolutely mention it.

Other schools, thats up to you.

When you're applying to the medical school he went to, absolutely mention it.

Other schools, thats up to you.

Couldn't go there even if I wanted to. They basically say straight up that oos acceptance is not going to happen.

I would absolutely mention it. I do not have a single physician in my family and I have had the darnedest time finding doctors to shadow. I agree with the poster above: the fact that your close relatives are physicians provides unparalleled insight into the career. You must understand what the occupations demands, and that understanding must have come from your family. Explain it.