Physician or Other Careers.

Started by NaCksm
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NaCksm

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Physician or other careers?
I'm considering my career choices right now and Family Physician is on my list. But, after reading things about it, it does not seem that great. Because they seem like they have no life and no time for their families. I still would love to be a doctor though. But what are other careers? I wrote down careers that would be nice for me and it was either, writing or medical field or maybe selling things. I like to be helping people a lot. It is very satisfying.
I am a very curious person and curious about people and why they would do something. What their past was like plus if a speaker came about The Great Depression I would ask him "what did children play back then, what are the differences you see today in teenagers then back then?" Etc. interesting questions. What jobs would be for the "curious" about people and why?
Careers I am currently considering is Family Physician, Occupational Thearpist, Nurse Practicor, and Psychologist.
What are some other careers that is not really known, but related to helping or medical field? Also what are the pro's and cons to being a Family Physician vs an Occupational Thearpist. And Nurse Practiors vs Doctor/Psychologist?
Thanks!
 
Curiousity = research. Good hours, decent pay, and lots of answer-searching kind of work. That's my suggestion. I can't really say anything, as far as the pros and cons go, about your other options. You should take a romp through the Physician / Resident Forums and see if you can find any answers there.
 
^Ah thanks. I was just looking at those forums.
I dont think I could ever do research because I probably wouldn't be to find anything and I just dislike labs in general. Any other suggestions for the "curious."?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Physician or other careers?
I'm considering my career choices right now and Family Physician is on my list. But, after reading things about it, it does not seem that great. Because they seem like they have no life and no time for their families. I still would love to be a doctor though. But what are other careers? I wrote down careers that would be nice for me and it was either, writing or medical field or maybe selling things. I like to be helping people a lot. It is very satisfying.
I am a very curious person and curious about people and why they would do something. What their past was like plus if a speaker came about The Great Depression I would ask him "what did children play back then, what are the differences you see today in teenagers then back then?" Etc. interesting questions. What jobs would be for the "curious" about people and why?
Careers I am currently considering is Family Physician, Occupational Thearpist, Nurse Practicor, and Psychologist.
What are some other careers that is not really known, but related to helping or medical field? Also what are the pro's and cons to being a Family Physician vs an Occupational Thearpist. And Nurse Practiors vs Doctor/Psychologist?
Thanks!

My cousin is a NP, fantastic job. Pscychologists do pretty well too, another great job. Idk about OT vs FP. NP vs Psych? NP's do some of the things the physicians do and you do not have to go to medical school. Psych is nothing like being a NP, you just evaluate a person and help them I guess. Don't need to go to med school for that either. Psychologists are probably compensated better than Nurse Practitioners, but both are great professions.

Being a family physician isn't worth it unless that is what you really want.
 
My cousin is a NP, fantastic job. Pscychologists do pretty well too, another great job. Idk about OT vs FP. NP vs Psych? NP's do some of the things the physicians do and you do not have to go to medical school. Psych is nothing like being a NP, you just evaluate a person and help them I guess. Don't need to go to med school for that either. Psychologists are probably compensated better than Nurse Practitioners, but both are great professions.

Being a family physician isn't worth it unless that is what you really want.

I agree. You should talk to a few family docs. You have years to decide.

Look into dentistry 👍.



:luck:
 
Physician or other careers?
I'm considering my career choices right now and Family Physician is on my list. But, after reading things about it, it does not seem that great. Because they seem like they have no life and no time for their families. I still would love to be a doctor though. But what are other careers? I wrote down careers that would be nice for me and it was either, writing or medical field or maybe selling things. I like to be helping people a lot. It is very satisfying.
I am a very curious person and curious about people and why they would do something. What their past was like plus if a speaker came about The Great Depression I would ask him "what did children play back then, what are the differences you see today in teenagers then back then?" Etc. interesting questions. What jobs would be for the "curious" about people and why?
Careers I am currently considering is Family Physician, Occupational Thearpist, Nurse Practicor, and Psychologist.
What are some other careers that is not really known, but related to helping or medical field? Also what are the pro's and cons to being a Family Physician vs an Occupational Thearpist. And Nurse Practiors vs Doctor/Psychologist?
Thanks!
I'm exactly like you. When I talked to my friends in school about this, she suggested sociology (like social works etc. I mean the pay wouldn't be the same but you're still helping people). If you want to be a doctor but just worry about the fact that you don't have time for your family, there's always private practice.
Hope that helps!
 
Last edited:
Physician or other careers?
I'm considering my career choices right now and Family Physician is on my list. But, after reading things about it, it does not seem that great. Because they seem like they have no life and no time for their families. I still would love to be a doctor though. But what are other careers? I wrote down careers that would be nice for me and it was either, writing or medical field or maybe selling things. I like to be helping people a lot. It is very satisfying.
I am a very curious person and curious about people and why they would do something. What their past was like plus if a speaker came about The Great Depression I would ask him "what did children play back then, what are the differences you see today in teenagers then back then?" Etc. interesting questions. What jobs would be for the "curious" about people and why?
Careers I am currently considering is Family Physician, Occupational Thearpist, Nurse Practicor, and Psychologist.
What are some other careers that is not really known, but related to helping or medical field? Also what are the pro's and cons to being a Family Physician vs an Occupational Thearpist. And Nurse Practiors vs Doctor/Psychologist?
Thanks!

The careers you've mentioned differ generally by the amount of school required! I always recommend to students who are interested in medicine and other "helping professions" to look closely at the three major rehab careers - physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech-language pathology. These professionals' careers differ primarily by what area of the body they focus on, but they are similar in that they treat patients with either congenital or acquired disabilities. There is a huge demand for people in rehab careers and with a large aging population, it's only expected to increase! Try meeting with family friends in these professions or shadowing a number of different professionals in your community, each for a day, to learn more about their jobs.
 
The careers you've mentioned differ generally by the amount of school required! I always recommend to students who are interested in medicine and other "helping professions" to look closely at the three major rehab careers - physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech-language pathology. These professionals' careers differ primarily by what area of the body they focus on, but they are similar in that they treat patients with either congenital or acquired disabilities. There is a huge demand for people in rehab careers and with a large aging population, it's only expected to increase! Try meeting with family friends in these professions or shadowing a number of different professionals in your community, each for a day, to learn more about their jobs.
👍 Very rewarding.
 
The best advice I can give is shadow, shadow, shadow. Shadow all of these professions for at least a week each.

I would have done things kinda differently had I done that. Just keep your freshman year fairly general, and you won't lose any time on any of your choices.