Physician or Traditional Loan?

Started by pedsgirl1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pedsgirl1

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am an incoming resident and I am looking to purchase my first home. The homes I am looking at are 250-300K. My husband and I have no CC debt, no student loans. We both have credit scores >785, and can put down 50-60K down.

In our situation, is there an advantage to going with a physician loan?

Thanks for the help!
 
Congrats on no student loans. I'm jealous...

There were just a series of posts on this topic here: http://whitecoatinvestor.com/. Just scroll down a little bit from the home page and look at "Physician Mortgage Loans - what's currently available?" I think you'll find the rates are always lower with a traditional 20% down mortgage. There are also posts and discussions about renting vs buying in residency.

It looks like you're becoming a pediatrician, great choice!
 
I am in the same boat as you.

Where I live Phys loan vs conventional, downpayment is 5% minimum.

Only upside with Phys is I can close 60 days before I start working, vs having to wait for 30 days after I work, for conventional loan.

Phys loan shows no PMI, but has higher interest, so in essence, lender paid PMI.....


Since you have 20% downpayment, conventional would be cheapest option. I have seen 2.85% rates out there