Physician-patient dating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nabin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember coming across a uworld question where they said its NEVER ethical to date a patient even after the physician-patient relationship has ended (as they said to not imply to the patient that dating is not possible because they are in a physician-patient relationship right now; as that would mean a relation could be possible in the future)

In the 100 cases series, it says that this scenario would apply only to a psychiatrist. And physicians (other than psychiatrists) can date the patient after patient care has been transferred to another doctor.

What's the best bet here?

Members don't see this ad.

From all my studying, all I have learned is that a PSYCHIATRIST can NEVER date a patient, and other PHYSICIANS cannot date a CURRENT patient. This point was made even in MTB2 for step 2. So I think that's the right answer.

Reactions: 1 user
From all my studying, all I have learned is that a PSYCHIATRIST can NEVER date a patient, and other PHYSICIANS cannot date a CURRENT patient. This point was made even in MTB2 for step 2. So I think that's the right answer.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Never have sex with patients. golden rule

Yes, of course. The problem being in choosing the best answer. It seems physicians (other than psychiatrists) can date a patient after their physican-patient relationship ends. In the usmle though guess we got to choose an option that doesn't encourage the patient to think that something is possible after the encounter ends even though legally that seems okay. I hope they don't give us to choose something which might be okay legally but still is not the best thing to do ethically for a doctor.

Not sure what the books say. But, I have been told by several EM physicians that you are still not allowed to date a patient even if you only saw that person once for 15 min.

They told me once a patient always a patient. SO, I am just not gonna date any patients. Not worth it. Plus it is a slippery slope. And, the fact the first impression you made with that person is one in which they were in an inferior role and vulnerable....creates a possible improper establishment of that relationship. Even if they deny such events.........

So, that may be the book answer but this may be the clinical answer.