Physician scientist in anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kamikaze1992

Moew
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here has pursued a career as a physician-scientist in anesthesia? (Or knows someone who pursued that route). I'm clinically interested in anesthesia, but I'm not sure how a career in research really fits into the nature of the specialty. Did you guys pursue a PSTP? What options do you have once you have finished your research fellowship? I would really appreciate any insight you have into this. Thank you!
 
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here has pursued a career as a physician-scientist in anesthesia? (Or knows someone who pursued that route). I'm clinically interested in anesthesia, but I'm not sure how a career in research really fits into the nature of the specialty. Did you guys pursue a PSTP? What options do you have once you have finished your research fellowship? I would really appreciate any insight you have into this. Thank you!
I know a handful of people who went into Anesthesiology as physician-scientists. I would say based on personal experience, only about half went the MD-PhD route, the other were straight MDs.

The topics I've seen most covered are sepsis, pain, and intraoperative mechanisms of tissue injury.
 
Here's a thread I made on the subject in the anesthesia forum recently, hope it helps.