Physician scientist in anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kamikaze1992

Moew
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here has pursued a career as a physician-scientist in anesthesia? (Or knows someone who pursued that route). I'm clinically interested in anesthesia, but I'm not sure how a career in research really fits into the nature of the specialty. Did you guys pursue a PSTP? What options do you have once you have finished your research fellowship? I would really appreciate any insight you have into this. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here has pursued a career as a physician-scientist in anesthesia? (Or knows someone who pursued that route). I'm clinically interested in anesthesia, but I'm not sure how a career in research really fits into the nature of the specialty. Did you guys pursue a PSTP? What options do you have once you have finished your research fellowship? I would really appreciate any insight you have into this. Thank you!
I know a handful of people who went into Anesthesiology as physician-scientists. I would say based on personal experience, only about half went the MD-PhD route, the other were straight MDs.

The topics I've seen most covered are sepsis, pain, and intraoperative mechanisms of tissue injury.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's a thread I made on the subject in the anesthesia forum recently, hope it helps.

Reactions: 1 users