Physician Scientist through IM/Medical Genetics

Started by SynBio
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SynBio

Arrowsmith in training
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone who has gone down this road or thought about going down this road comment on this route as a physician scientist.

I have looked at the combined residencies (Internal Medicine/Medical Genetics) already, but I would like to hear other's opinions/insight into this field. I realize very few programs offer the combined IM/MG programs (currently 6 ), but I imagine this will expand by the time I reach residency (>8 years). I plan on pursuing a PhD in BioEng (using genetics, e.g. synthetic bio)/Genetics/Genomics/Bioinformatics, so I am interested in the discipline(s)/specialty at a research level, but want more knowledge on the clinical perspective.

It seems to be an area a physician scientist can couple both research and clinical activities effectively as I found evident from my extremely extensive google search...😎

What do others think?
 
After completing two months rotation at the NIH undiagnosed disease program I'd have to agree that IM/MG would be a good route for someone interested in both research and clinical activities (a.k.a translational research). I think IM/MG would be particularly well suited to pursue a career in cancer genetics, which (I'm told) is in high demand.