Physician Shadowing Supplemental or Comparable Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmbrink6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do volunteer hours in a reputable emergency department where you have constant patient interaction, triage experience, and regular physician contact and dialogue hold any weight of experience to that of physician shadowing?

Members don't see this ad.

Do volunteer hours in a reputable emergency department where you have constant patient interaction, triage experience, and regular physician contact and dialogue hold any weight of experience to that of physician shadowing?

No

How do you have triage experience in a reputable department? Are you an RN?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you have triage experience in a reputable department? Are you an RN?

No, I'm not. Majority of the EMTs and RNs were all veterans, and I am also. I developed a rapport with them all, and they let me take part in a lot of things for experience.

Be careful listing that triage bit. I'm not questioning your experience, but that would/could be viewed as beyond your scope.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using SDN Mobile

No, I'm not. Majority of the EMTs and RNs were all veterans, and I am also. I developed a rapport with them all, and they let me take part in a lot of things for experience.

I would be careful in saying that you have "triage experience" because of this. Technically you are a volunteer, and you should be sticking with the duties of a volunteer. Just because your'e buddies with the RNs and stuff and doesn't mean that you should be taking part in things like that. Personally I think adcoms might look at this as somebody who is overstepping their boundaries in medicine, which can be pretty dangerous and serious. The only people who should be triaging patients are the RNs. Honestly if you are looking for shadowing experience use your job as a volunteer and go up to one of the doctors and explain to them that you are looking to shadow so you can apply to med school. I'd also explain that you are a volunteer so you have been trained in HIPPA. I'm sure one of them would help you out.