Physician Shortage in Hawaii?

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Arijos0222

"The Opportune Moment"
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a shortage in hawaii for General Practitioners and Specialists? I heard about this. If so, time to get ready to pack my bags :laugh:
 
I was wondering about this too, and I would love to get some good info on it. At the moment, I want to be an infectious disease specialist, so who knows if that would be useful. But everybody will need an OB/Gyn at some point 😉

@Arijos0222 are you a junior or senior?
 
I don't know about Hawaii, but there certainly is in Alaska.

The two states have similar demographics (not part of the contiguous US, large native population).

Food for thought...

My cuz works in Alaska.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering about this too, and I would love to get some good info on it. At the moment, I want to be an infectious disease specialist, so who knows if that would be useful. But everybody will need an OB/Gyn at some point 😉

@Arijos0222 are you a junior or senior?

Junior 👍
 
By the way, as I was researching I found that healthcare is pretty bad over there. Some IM docs work for peanuts (50,000) while the cost of living is really high.

I hear that some Neurosurgeons make 190,000 to 200K! Which is a lot by any means but a big pay cut if you were used to working in the mainland. 🙁
 
😵 Where'd you get those stats? Don't trust indeed.


"Above National Average"
http://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/Physician-Generalist-Salary-Details-Honolulu-HI.aspx

I know that Hawaii dentists make ~$150 K and physicians generally make more than that.

I think if you work in a place like Honolulu with many tourists, you should be fine. Probably if you work at a tribal hospital, you could be looking at a salary reduction.


http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=913980
It seems that the consensus on the above thread is $110/hr in Hawaii for ER docs. So that would be:
110*60 = $6,600
6600*48 (4 weeks of vacation) = $316,800

Not too shabby.


Also as for shortage, it's somewhat dated but this is a good article:

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/hawaii-doctor-shortage-worse-than-recently-reported/123



As for neurosurgery, there are only 12 neurosurgeons in Hawaii, so anyone making those claims doesn't have enough data.