Physicians for a National Health Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

not so calm now

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's been pretty lively debate about Single Payer. It seems like this will be of interest to those who are looking to deepen their understanding of the US healthcare system and how we can change it positively and sustainably.

Physicians for a National Health Program is holding its annual meeting and leadership training in Boston this year from November 1 - 2. There will be student-oriented programming in addition to the general meeting. I went last year and it was a great opportunity to meet seasoned health activists as well as passionate students. There's student funding available for travel and housing.

Here's the link for the registration, and here's the link for the funding application.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm against this vile cause.

Healthcare is a form of basic social welfare (like a fire dept, ems squad, and saniation) that is best funded and organized at the municipal/county/state levels that the others are.

By having to pay through the fed or a high profit margin insurance corp we will never meet the goals of providing actual healthcare, not just having insurance for it

A one payer system cant be forced as a town can still elect to contract directly with a PCP to provide medical services.

Members don't see this ad :)
By having to pay through the fed or a high profit margin insurance corp we will never meet the goals of providing actual healthcare, not just having insurance for it

A one payer system cant be forced as a town can still elect to contract directly with a PCP to provide medical services.

Source/proof?

Hmmm comparison with every other industrialized country whose percapita healthcare costs are a fraction as well as not paying the 30% cost when we go through government. Their admin costs are like 3-5% because they arent dealing with idiot billing and codes.

You can google on the profit margins of healthcare sector businesses. That money is a cost to the consumer and increases the price to obtain care with no added value. Or the profit margin is obtained by cutting services provided. but usually a mix of both. You can take econ 101

Go look at almost any book or article discussing the healthcare economy here and elsewhere.

You clearly have access to the internet so use it, I'm not posting in a peer reviewed journal where I need to reference to appease you. Check it for yourself, your comment served no purpose. These arent even issues that are debated, so your need for references shows you need to spend 5 minutes readin before u post. Smart as

I just don't like the line of thinking; where do we draw the line on profit?

You know, most people in the healthcare industry make a pretty good living, so why don't we just cut their salaries in half, healthcare would cost a lot less and then we costs would be lower for the consumer, right? Let's do that and see what happens.