Physics 1 and 2 over summer

1forrest1

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
    Hey all,
    I am currently a sophomore with a sGpa ~3.9 and the prereqs besides Biochem and Physics taken care of. I was planning on taking a gap year, but my advisor just told me that it might be a bad idea and might weaken my app. I still really want to take it to do something meaningful and important, would medical schools look down on taking one? She also recommended I take Physics over the summer and Biochem in the fall, and then a light course load in the spring of Junior year to take the MCAT as opposed to taking it senior year. Is this a bad idea? I thought taking pre reqs in the summer was frowned upon by adcoms.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

PatchA

5+ Year Member
    Jun 24, 2016
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Unless you've taken a bunch of prereqs over the summer, no one will care, esp if you are taking them at your home instritution not a community college. Just do well.

Edit: I took both ochem labs over the summer at my school. Never came up in an interview, obviously didn't hurt, and my GPA wasn't nearly as high as yours. Dont drive yourself nuts overthinking the small stuff!

About the Ads

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
      Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      Jul 26, 2009
      The Big Bad Apple
      1. Non-Student
        I am currently a sophomore with a sGpa ~3.9 and the prereqs besides Biochem and Physics taken care of. I was planning on taking a gap year, but my advisor just told me that it might be a bad idea and might weaken my app. I still really want to take it to do something meaningful and important, would medical schools look down on taking one?

That is very out of date view; AAMC and many medical schools directly talk about gap years for applicants. While some schools will ask specifically what you have been doing if you are not currently enrolled in school, it is not a weakness to have a gap year.

https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/making-most-your-gap-year/

She also recommended I take Physics over the summer and Biochem in the fall, and then a light course load in the spring of Junior year to take the MCAT as opposed to taking it senior year. Is this a bad idea? I thought taking pre reqs in the summer was frowned upon by adcoms.

Having a prereq or two in the summer will have no impact on your application

http://www.upstate.edu/com/admissions/faqs.php
        Applicants should avoid taking more than one or two prerequisite science courses during the summer and avoid taking them at community colleges.

Reactions: 1 user

akuko2

5+ Year Member
        Jul 17, 2015
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          I had the same GPA and was in the same situation as you, I did it and it worked very well for me. I had the physics, and biochem basis, and then my schedule was a bit lighter so I could focus on the MCAT which turned out great. No one ever asked me about the summer classes.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.