Physics 1 and 2 over summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1forrest1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am currently a sophomore with a sGpa ~3.9 and the prereqs besides Biochem and Physics taken care of. I was planning on taking a gap year, but my advisor just told me that it might be a bad idea and might weaken my app. I still really want to take it to do something meaningful and important, would medical schools look down on taking one? She also recommended I take Physics over the summer and Biochem in the fall, and then a light course load in the spring of Junior year to take the MCAT as opposed to taking it senior year. Is this a bad idea? I thought taking pre reqs in the summer was frowned upon by adcoms.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you've taken a bunch of prereqs over the summer, no one will care, esp if you are taking them at your home instritution not a community college. Just do well.

Edit: I took both ochem labs over the summer at my school. Never came up in an interview, obviously didn't hurt, and my GPA wasn't nearly as high as yours. Dont drive yourself nuts overthinking the small stuff!

An admissions committee person on here said prerequisites over the summer are not a great idea but you should be good as long as you don't take all of them over the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just read the title and that sounds like hell on earth

Hey all,
I was planning on taking a gap year, but my advisor just told me that it might be a bad idea and might weaken my app.

I'm still stuck on this comment. :confused:

Reactions: 1 user
Take it and get it over with..

I had the same GPA and was in the same situation as you, I did it and it worked very well for me. I had the physics, and biochem basis, and then my schedule was a bit lighter so I could focus on the MCAT which turned out great. No one ever asked me about the summer classes.

thanks guys, @Goro @gyngyn is there any way this might haunt me later on when applying? i just don't want to make a mistake that hinders me down the road