physics books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miamiradonc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions about physics books? Everyone seems to suggest the Khan book, yet few people seem to think it was written for the radonc resident (as opposed to the physicist). I found another book written by Joseph Selman called "The basic physics of radiation therapy." I also found a book by a guy named Hendee "Radiation Therapy Physics" Any suggestions? BTW stephew what do you think of a permanent 'book thread'?

Members don't see this ad.

Being a medical student, I really appreciate the toned-down baby Coia (the little red book from the 90s, not the paleozoic mimeotype). I really liked Hendee/Ritenour book - it was awesome with good explanations and diagrams. Khan can be fun for math/engineering types who like equations, but overall I found it more difficult to read.

You should be able to check them out from your library, or acquire short-term via an interlibrary loan.

NOTE: Hendee and Khan were *required* reading for some radiation/imaging physics courses I tooka while back, so your mileage may vary.

coia is outdated to the point of uselessness. try the roach book for basic radonc stuff. for physics, khan is terrible but the gold standard. to actually learn the stuff, try radonc for dummies ie stanton, then make sure things not well addressed there like brachy are sitll covered.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the Stanton recommendation. It is great for people lacking a strong physics background.

At the risk of showing my ignorance, may I ask the title of 'the roach book' you referred to, stephew? Thanks.

Has anybody had the chance to peek at this book yet? Sounds pretty juicy...could this be the Cliffs Notes for the radonc physics board? I think it just came out. I hope our library gets a copy.

Radiation Oncology: A Physicist's-Eye View

by Michael Goitein (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Radiation-Oncology-Physicists-Eye-Biological-Engineering/dp/0387726446

"Book Description
Radiation Oncology: A Physicist's-Eye View was written for both physicists and medical oncologists with the aim of helping them approach the use of radiation in the treatment of cancer with understanding, confidence, and imagination. The book will let practitioners in one field understand the problems of, and find solutions for, practitioners in the other. It will help them to know "why" certain approaches are fruitful while, at the same time, encouraging them to ask the question "Why not?" in the face of assertions that some proposal of theirs is impractical, unreasonable, or impossible. Unlike a textbook, formal and complete developments of the topics are not among the goals. Instead, the reader will develop a foundation for understanding what the author has found to be matters of importance in radiation oncology during over thirty years of experience. Presentations cover, in largely non-technical language, the principal physical and biological aspects of radiation treatment and address practical clinical considerations in planning and delivering therapy. The importance of the assessment of uncertainties is emphasized. Topics include: an overview of the physics of the interactions of radiation with matter; the definition of the goals and the design of radiation therapy approaches; living with uncertainty; biophysical models of radiation damage; computer-based optimization of treatments; and proton therapy. Formulae and quantitation in general have been avoided in the belief that an understanding of the majority of important medical and biological issues in radiation oncology generally cannot be achieved through mathematical relationships. This unique and highly readable book will be indispensable both to beginners and to those with experience in either medical physics or radiation oncology.
The author, who is Professor of Radiation Oncology Emeritus at Harvard Medical School, was an early pioneer in the development of image-based treatment planning and has been responsible for developing and putting into clinical practice such widely used tools as: digitally reconstructed radiographs, dose-volume histograms, and beam’s-eye view and has been a leader in the development of proton beam therapy."

Has anybody had the chance to peek at this book yet? Sounds pretty juicy...could this be the Cliffs Notes for the radonc physics board? I think it just came out. I hope our library gets a copy.

Radiation Oncology: A Physicist's-Eye View

by Michael Goitein (Author)

I like the title a lot.

It's hard to gauge how the book will be. At first glance, I was thrown off by the book's synopsis, namely that it's written for "physicists and medical oncologists with the aim of helping them approach the use of radiation in the treatment of cancer with understanding, confidence, and imagination." Written for medical oncologists?? Surely then, it must be quite basic as it relates to radiation physics.

However, Amazon lets you peek inside the book. It only lets you see a few pages, of course, and by default, you only get to see the cover, table of contents, a short excerpt from the introduction, and the index. (And let's not forget the ever-useful copyright page.)

The content in the excerpt is very basic -- like Coia basic. But that material is from the introduction chapter, so you'd expect it to be basic even if it's a pretty good physics book.

If you click on "Surprise Me", you can see even more pages (at random). Also, try typing various terms in the search box and it will search the book for those terms. It seems to only search the few pages that it has scanned, but doing so can give you a fair idea about the book's content.

By doing the above, I got a fair glimpse at the book, and it seems it goes into fairly good detail about some things. He covers topics like EUD, TCP, deformable image registration, and so on. Maybe it's not as basic as I thought at first.

This is just looking through a keyhole, so it's still hard to tell if this book can replace Khan for the physics knowledge that a resident will need to have.

thumb through it. you cant judge a book by its cover...

What is the stanton recommendation? What about the other books I mentioned at the beginning of this thread? Has anyone read any of these books. I think that there may be better alternatives to Khan out there.

ok saw the stanton stuff, but what about Selman and Hendee?

I was just reading through the Physics section of Gunderson & Tepper and have to say that I was very, very impressed. Though it is not as comprehensive as Khan it does emphasize the high-yield ("testable") subjects very well. And, it is written with physicians in mind not physicists.

I haven't looked @ the other major RadOnc texts like Liebel or Perez but they may be equivalent.

I was just reading through the Physics section of Gunderson & Tepper and have to say that I was very, very impressed. Though it is not as comprehensive as Khan it does emphasize the high-yield ("testable") subjects very well. And, it is written with physicians in mind not physicists.

I haven't looked @ the other major RadOnc texts like Liebel or Perez but they may be equivalent.
i wouldnt say its sufficient for a test but a decent overallr eview.

Does anyone else have an opinion on Stanton vs. Hendee?

Stanton looks to be >10yrs old, and the only review on Amazon.com is from stephew. Hendee's was published 2006, but don't know if it's a good starter book or not.

Hendee is khan-esque, but prettier and has these neat historical facts and trivia in the margins (while a youngster playing in the barn, rutherford came up with the proposition of orbital electrons; to this day, barnyard pens in elliptical form are called 'rutherford cages'). I still think it's for physicists like Khan is, rather than for rad-onc clinicians.

S

This physicist at Wayne State (now at Beaumont?) McDermott has been working on a book specifically for residents in rad-onc. We have a .pdf copy and it is a pretty good read. The brachy section is the first one that I got through and didn't want to poke my eyes out with a fork. It will be published soon, I think, if it hasn't been already.

S

The Stanton and Stinson book was written for radiation therapists rather than residents. That said, it contains most of what you need to know. It's an easy read. I read it cover to cover over 2 days just prior to physics written boards and found it useful (but not sufficient as a stand-alone resource). If you want a quick review or are struggling on your first time around, I think it would be a good book. I've never heard of Selman or Hendee.