Physics Course Confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuresurgeongod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am rising sophomore and I am looking to take a physics course this upcoming school year. I was curious about if there was a specific type of gen chem class I should take for my path of going to medical school. The course listing for my school is Gen Physics: Mechanics, but I also heard a lot about Gen Physics: Electro/Mag. Is there a specific one I am suppose to take or would one be preferred by med schools over the other? Help please! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There might also be an "Introductory Physics" or something of the sort that is also offered that corresponds to the courses you listed - you might want to check. The key difference is that most universities offer two versions of the two-semester physics sequence. One is algebra-based and one is calculus-based. Med schools don't care which one you take but you might have a personal preference depending on your math background.

Just find out the EXACT 2 courses that pre-med students from your school take for gen chem and physics. That is better than asking SDN, as nearly every school is different and apparently is not always clear.

I second werunthis.
Usually, Classical Mechanics : Physics 1.
Electricity and Magnetism : Physics 2