Physics EK 1001: Question 362

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SKaminski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Physics EK 1001: Question 362
....|
....|
..[4kg]

The block is lowered by a rope as shown. The tension T in the rope is 35 N. If the block is lowered 10 m, what is the change in kinetic energy of the block?

The credited answer is 50J.

Well, I assumed that (change)PE = (change)KE.

So I said mgh = (change)KE, which gave me 400 J. Obviously wrong.

The credited solution is: W = (change)KE , thus Fd = (change)KE.

To determine force we're taking T = 35, but mg = 40, so NET FORCE = 5N.
Again, Fd = (change)KE, so we have 5 N * 10 m = (change)KE = 50J.

And I have so many problems with this question on so many levels.

Why are we suddenly using net force? Why couldn't I use mgh here? I think it has something to do with conservative v non-conservative forces, but it seems like that rule is applied in odd situations with gravity, and I don't understand 100% yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Notice that the tension on the string is less than the weight of the block. This means that there is a net force downward and that the block is accelerating downward. You can't use potential and kinetic energy equivalence because the block doesn't stop once it drops 10 meters.

Hey,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. My only question is:

Assuming that gravity is a conservative force in this scenario, can't we assume that this is an isolated system, and thus that energy is conserved?

Hey,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. My only question is:

Assuming that gravity is a conservative force in this scenario, can't we assume that this is an isolated system, and thus that energy is conserved?

Sorry, I don't know why it doesn't work other than it doesn't work. :oops: Intuition told me that using kinetic and potential energy equivalence might lead to problems with an object that's still accelerating.

The change would be 400J if the block were free falling, but the tension slows it down a bit. mgh is equal to work too, it's just the work done by gravity (F x d = mg x h). You would use this equation:

U1 - U2 + w(other) = K2 - K1

You are always implicitly using this equation, but in problems where the only force is gravity, you ignore the work(other) term. In this problem, work(other) = -35(10), so your equation simplifies to:

400 - 0 - 350 = K2 - K1

So you end up with K2 - K1 = 50