Physics II, Orgo II, Chem II in the same semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rtothel0104

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you read it correctly. I am thinking of taking physics II, orgo II and gen chem II in the same semester. I am trying to finish this sequence up so I can take my MCAT in the summer. What do you think? Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

If only these 3 classes: walk in the park.
With 2+ other classes on the side: proceed with caution.

How are you supposed to take Gen Chem II alongside Orgo II...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think Boolean was referring to the fact that at most schools you have to complete the Gen Chem sequence before you begin Orgo.

Reactions: 1 users
You can take ochem before having completed all of gen Chem..?

Best of luck haha that's gonna be a fun semester for you. Also I think orgo would be must easier for you if you have the foundations of gen chem already.

Nah orgo II and gen chem II are really not that related as what others are telling you. Orgo I is more based on Gen chem. But not sure how you can take organic chemistry without completing gen chem. At my school those were the pre-reqs. So did you already take orgo I along with gen chem 1? I mean it is do-able but make sure that you know the pre-reqs.

You need to have a good understanding of electrophiles and nucleophiles to do well in Orgo II, much more so than Orgo I, IMO. When I took gen chem, i learned about electrophiles and nucleophiles in gen chem II.

Orgo II is actually kinda easy if you don't try to memorize everything and make an effort to understand the first few reaction mechanisms that you're taught.

The only pre-req for Gen Chem II is Gen Chem I.
My undergraduate institution was like this as well, OP. I know several others who took organic chemistry before taking gen chem 2, and they were fine.

If only these 3 classes: walk in the park.
With 2+ other classes on the side: proceed with caution.
^ agree with this assessment. If only those 3 classes, should be easy. If those 3 laboratory-classes plus another class on the side, doable if you are committed. If 2+ other classes on the side, I'd recommend against.

You can take ochem before having completed all of gen Chem..?

Yes at some schools. At my school, the current (recently revised) pre-med chemistry sequence goes like this: Gen Chem 1, O-Chem 1, O-Chem 2, Gen Chem 2. Basically, you start and finish the 2-year chemistry sequence with general chemistry. To be honest, Gen Chem 1 is really all you need for the entire organic chemistry sequence.

I don't really understand the point of asking what you can or cannot do on the internet to random people who have no idea who you are and what you are capable of. Ask someone who knows your academic history, such as your college advisor.

Yes at some schools. At my school, the current (recently revised) pre-med chemistry sequence goes like this: Gen Chem 1, O-Chem 1, O-Chem 2, Gen Chem 2. Basically, you start and finish the 2-year chemistry sequence with general chemistry. To be honest, Gen Chem 1 is really all you need for the entire organic chemistry sequence.

Wow, that's nuts. The first test in our organic class was basically a rehash of gen chem two, which was delta G, delta S, delta H, kinetics, and equilibriums of weak acids and bases. If you didn't take gen chem two before this test (and there were people in that situation), you got smoked.