Physics in Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMaximus

CA-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Our physiology professor pretty much teaches a biophysics class at my school. I'm curious how much physics gets thrown in to you guy's lectures. Do you get pretty much a straight biology class or is heavy, heavy physics? Or maybe dead center?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

Our physiology professor pretty much teaches a biophysics class at my school. I'm curious how much physics gets thrown in to you guy's lectures. Do you get pretty much a straight biology class or is heavy, heavy physics? Or maybe dead center?

beyond some basic physics in fluid dynamics, i'm not seeing much in my BRS book. probably at bit more (bio)chemistry than physics, but even that is on a basic level.

I'm curious to know, what about your course makes you think it's more biophysics than medical physiology? You can't really discuss medical physiology without bringing physical concepts into the picture.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious to know, what about your course makes you think it's more biophysics than medical physiology? You can't really discuss medical physiology without bringing physical concepts into the picture.

I wasn't saying that you could. I understand that there is a ton of physics in physiology inherently. It doesn't bother me. I was just wondering if everyone had the same amount of equations and such as we do.

Not complaining, just asking.

I wasn't saying that you could. I understand that there is a ton of physics in physiology inherently. It doesn't bother me. I was just wondering if everyone had the same amount of equations and such as we do.

I haven't really had much in the way of equations. Just more important to understand the concept and know how the equation works rather than be able to write it out and solve it.

Yeah we have lots of equations. I love physiology. Finally a class that rewards brain power over brute memorization.

Do you have the costanzo book? Not the BRS, but her actual textbook? We learn all the equations in there, and I think that's pretty much the gold standard for what you should cover in med school physio.

Yeah we have lots of equations. I love physiology. Finally a class that rewards brain power over brute memorization.

Do you have the costanzo book? Not the BRS, but her actual textbook? We learn all the equations in there, and I think that's pretty much the gold standard for what you should cover in med school physio.

Yeah, we use Costanzo. It's definitely a sweet book.

I know you weren't complaining. I was just curious since Physio tends to be one of the hardest M1 classes. We have a ton of equations. They're all intertwined which makes it that much more fun! What we have the most of, though, are graphs based on applied concepts and equations that illustrate normal and pathologic states.

Our professor lectures out of a booklet he made and copyrighted. But I use Guyton and Hall and BRS mostly. I haven't really checked out this Costanzo book.

There is minimal hardcore physics in med school physio classes. Yes, there are some equations etc, but calculus only entered the picture a couple of times (and we never got tested on that). Most medical physio is very conceptual, and step 1 stresses physio concepts far more than calculations. The concepts are also much more clinically important than raw calculations (with some exceptions).

Thanks for the discussion guys. I guess we'll really see how many equations he expects us to calculate or use on Monday's exam.

Good luck with the rest of everyone's semester!