physics magnetism q's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjoe00

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pls help these questions seem straight forward but getting wrong, i must be tripping some where..

quest 1
The self-inductance of the circuit in the figure below is 1.04 10-7 H. Find the back emf when the current is increasing at the rate of 2.15 107 A/s.

i used the L(change in current/time) and did 1.04 x 10e-7 x (2.15 x 10e7) = 2.236V... unfortunately it marked it wrong!

Quest 2 - A magnetic field of 0.63 is directed verically upward,
b) Find the magnetic flux through a flat surface of area 19 cm2 if the surface is horizontal.

this one i said magnetic flux = BAcostheta = 0.63x 19x10e-4 x cos 90 = 0
unfornately..that was wrong

quest C is the same as above except the surface is vertical.. i did the same as above but cos theta was 0 since the mag field and surface were not perpendicular to each other

phew i hate magnetism... can any one help.. thks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah magnetism is tough. Unfortunately, we can't help you. Go to your professor.

Those don't really seem like MCAT questions IMO. The magnestism on the MCAT essentially comes down to knowing the magnetic force, F = qvbsintheta, the right hand rule (direction of said magnetic force, perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field), the right hand rule for the induced magnetic field surrounding a current-conducting wire, and Lenz's law (pull a current conducting circuit through a magnetic field, and the direction of the induced magnetic field will point in the direcion necessary to resist a decrease in the overall magnetic field). I'm sure that's a bit confusing, but I would recommend ExamKrackers to clear everything up.

I understand that a single charged particle moving through a constant, uniform magnetic field will experience a magnetic force that will make it move in a circular motion so there will be a centripetal force, such that F = qvB(sintheta) = (mv^2)/r. So what about for currents? For a current carrying wire that is placed in a constant, uniform magnetic field, there will be a F=iLB(sintheta). But will its charged particles move in circular motion with centripetal force? Or will they move in a straight line as currents do?