Physics Pre-req

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Absurdist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I need physics for the MCAT, but I have a scheduling conflict for next semester which will be my junior year. I was wondering if adcoms would say anything if I took physics in my senior year? I would have fullfilled all other pre reqs before applying in summer 2008.

Members don't see this ad.

Your physics won't be added to your transcript until very late into the application cycle. Also, you need to know physics to take the MCAT. So a) you risk getting a low score on the physical science section, and b) are hoping that med schools will trust that you will do well in physics.

You're much better off taking all prereqs before applying as proof that you can handle them and do well. Take a year off, it will be the best decision you've ever made. There really is no need to rush, and I promise you will enjoy time off more than you can imagine.

you can still apply and just update them, but study physics 2 on ur own for the mcat

you can still apply and just update them, but study physics 2 on ur own for the mcat
yeah the only way not taking it during your junior year would hurt is for the physics section on the MCAT. If you feel that you can do well on the MCAT without physics then it will not be a problem. Also when you fill out AMCAS primary they allow to put the courses that you are taking the next semester (or trimester, quarter however your school does it) so you could fill in physics I or II (depending on what you have taken) and update your application as time passes. you could also take physics I over the summer (depending on when you take the MCATs because you may or may not want to take it at the same time as studying for the MCAT but thats up to you) so you have physics I on the app and then take physics II your senior year. Medical schools want all the prereqs done upon matriculation. So you would receive notices that youd have to complete physics before matriculating into medical school. you could still apply for the 2008 cycle however. Hope this helps good luck!

Sorry meant to quote the OP.