Physics Pre-req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jj12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was originally a mechanical engineering major and took calculus based physics 1 without a lab (3 hours) and then switched my major to cell bio and I just completed algebra based physics 2 with a lab (4 hours). So now I have 7 total hours of physics. My advisor said that would be fine given the fact that I have my math minor (cal 1-3, diff e, stats), but every medical school I have looked at requires 8 hours of physics. So I guess I am going to have to go back and take another physics class for that 1 hour...My question is would medical schools accept a concepts of physics class with a lab, or do I actually need to take algebra based 1 class and lab? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

They would DEFINITELY accept it. Don't even worry about that. Those '8 credit' requirements aren't rules but just guidelines. Stuff like this happens all the time. As long as you have a one year of physics with lab, everything is good.

They would DEFINITELY accept it. Don't even worry about that. Those '8 credit' requirements aren't rules but just guidelines. Stuff like this happens all the time. As long as you have a one year of physics with lab, everything is good.

I have one year of physics, but the first semester didn't include a lab so it's like I have one year of lecture but only one semester of lab, for a total of 7 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have one year of physics, but the first semester didn't include a lab so it's like I have one year of lecture but only one semester of lab, for a total of 7 hours.

Can you go back and pick up the lab hour for your first physics course?

Can you go back and pick up the lab hour for your first physics course?

I would have to retake the lecture as well. They allow you to take a lecture without a lab, but not a lab without lecture. And with it being a calculus based physics, I definitely am trying to find other options, I was lucky to get out of there with a B

I would have to retake the lecture as well. They allow you to take a lecture without a lab, but not a lab without lecture. And with it being a calculus based physics, I definitely am trying to find other options, I was lucky to get out of there with a B

Your advisers let you down. They should never have let you take a pre-med pre-req without taking the lab :(

I don't think that would be a problem either, like I said, schools are flexible, and if you have the core components done within each core (no pun intended), any minor differences won't matter, since at that point schools will look at you at a case-by-case basis. Moreover, a buddy of mine at a college here in ny took gen chem 1 without lab (there is no lab for it), and only gen chem 2 has lab. Would he get rejected by medical schools because his prereq is "incomplete?" Of course not! So you're not the only one. Many schools have that as the norm. I'm not an expert on this though, but I wouldnt worry. Especially since one of your classes is calculus based. :)

I am in a similar situation as you. I have 1 year of physics class and 1 semester of physics lab. This is because I tested out of Physics 101, took 102 w/lab and then took an upper level physics class that did not include a lab. Thus, I emailed 15 schools and many said that I could not apply to their school because I was missing one semester of physics laboratory. I find this very frustrating. Well, I posted the various responses from the schools here so that anyone else who is curious would be able to see the results. I hope this helps. My decision is to simply take Physics 101 with lab simply to fulfill this silly requirement. I don't want to be considered based on them making exceptions for me...

Eastern Virginia Medical School - "You will need 2 semesters of Physics to apply to EVMS."

Einstein - "You would need another semester of lab."

Mayo - "We accept AP credit for prerequisites as long as they appear on your official transcript. It appears that you will only need 1 semester of Physics lecture and lab if you have tested out of 1 semester."

USC - "The requirement is to have a second semester of lab also. However, all complete and submitted applications receive careful consideration for admissions, which would include reviewing all courses completed."

UCSF - "We require a year of physics with lab. We will accept AP scores for physics provided the credit appears on your transcripts. If you have taken two semesters of physics coursework and one semester of physics lab, it would appear you are one semester short of fulfilling our physics prerequisite."

University of Rochester - "Thank you for your email and interest in the University of Rochester Medical School. I presume that you tested out of physics because you had received some other credit for that class (I.e. AP credit). If that is the case, then we will accept AP credit to fulfill the other semester of physics lab. If that is not the case, I would need to check with the Dean of Admissions to see if missing 1 semester of physics would be allowable. I am thinking that if you scored well on the MCAT exam in the sciences sections that the Dean would probably waive the second semester of lab."

University of Tennessee - "Thank you for your email regarding the physics labrequirement. Given the course work you have had, we can work with you on this. We would not require you to complete the additional lab hour of credit. I hope this helps. If you have additional questions, please let me know."

Case Western - "Thank you for your email. Yes, you will have fulfilled the requirement for physics for the University Track. If you are interested in applying to the College Track (5 year program) at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University, please contact Elizabeth Myers at [email protected] to see if this meets their requirements for physics. Best wishes."

UVM - "Yes, it looks like you meet our requirements for Physics."

Emory - "Unfortunately, I can't really give you a definite answer to that. Only the Admissions Committee can make that decision and only complete application files will be reviewed by the Committee. What I can share is that Emory is an extremely competitive school, and a solid foundation in the sciences is important to present a strong application to the Admissions Committee. It is highly recommended that you complete at least four full years, with labs, in the basic sciences. Specifically, two semesters or three quarters in each of the following areas: Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physical Sciences (including Physics, Geology, Astronomy, etc.). We expect medical school students to have a sound knowledge in these areas, prior to attending medical school. If you have Advanced Placement (A/P) credit in any of these general science areas, you may find it helpful to take additional science courses to keep your knowledge in the sciences strong, but it is not required. Another important factor to consider is scoring well on the MCAT science subtests. Our admitted students score at least a 10 on each of the science subtests, with a total average score of 34. If you are able to score well on the MCAT, this would certainly be a significant indicator of your knowledge in the sciences. If you do not meet the minimum science requirements, you will be given an opportunity in the Emory Supplemental Application to explain why. Exceptions are made. They are rare, but they are made for individuals with very high grades or for those who demonstrate an exceptional aptitude in the sciences in other areas (strong MCAT scores, published research, etc.)."

University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix - Pretty much they changed their requirements and no longer require Physics, but simply "recommend" it.

SUNY Downstate - "In your case, it would depend on your overall science courses and performance as to whether or not the missing physics lab would make a difference or not.Taking a one semester physics lab would be the safest option. But whether or not we would think you should have done that would depend on your overall qualifications and record. It is possible that you would not be required to take the physics lab based on your overall science performance and your overall application. However, it is not possible to review your entire application unless it is submitted. You will have to determine what is best for you."