Physics requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orgodox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you need to take intro or genreal physics or can you just take a class under the physics department like Environmental Physics?

Maryland for example says you need
8 Semester Hours of Physics (including laboratories) (but specifies general Biology)
Does anyone know or has anyone done this?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm pretty sure u need to take the general physics that's in a series. e.g. physics 1,2,3.

If schools require physics, you have to take General Physics 1 and 2 with labs or whatever it's called. GL.

Members don't see this ad :)
K thanks guys, do you think its okay to take in Pass/Fail (were allowed one class per semester outside our major or school requirements)? School who require physics wont mind Pass/Fail right? I've already applied so Im not too worried about how it looks

i think they mind p/f. check their website/call them.

K thanks guys, do you think its okay to take in Pass/Fail (were allowed one class per semester outside our major or school requirements)? School who require physics wont mind Pass/Fail right? I've already applied so Im not too worried about how it looks

I don't think pass/fail is a good idea. I could see problems coming.

I don't think pass/fail is a good idea. I could see problems coming.

I agree, you may take classes P/F if they are not prereqs BUT not required/recommended ones b/c everybody would take them for a grade.:luck:

take general physics. and i suggust to take with a grade; not pass/fail.

Aight I guess Ill call some schools to find out but I didnt think its such a big deal, I already applied so I figure they just wana make sure I take it but its a 4 credit course (without the lab) and I have a good GPA and a shot at valedictorian (at least making it to the top 10 list) and I don't wana mess it up here.
Thanks for the input guys

I am not sure offhand which schools but I know some that I applied to definitely specified that prereqs must be completed with a grade of C or better and that pass/fail is not acceptable. But I'd say go ahead and call the schools you are applying to just to see what they prefer. :)

I am not sure offhand which schools but I know some that I applied to definitely specified that prereqs must be completed with a grade of C or better and that pass/fail is not acceptable. But I'd say go ahead and call the schools you are applying to just to see what they prefer. :)

KK stressed out here - I am doing physics pass fail b/c I do not need it for my degree and I am taking it now in fourth year - Is this gonna be a mega problem? I have already applied and have an interview at Boston.

:S